Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an old can of greendot thats been closed tight and stored in a cool dry place for years.i'm wondering if its still good.i opened it today and it looks and smells just like a brand new can,but im reluctant to load with it.what do you guys think?i'm figuring the can is at least 20yrs old

·
Registered
915 Posts
I am just getting done my "vintage" powder loads. Many of them had to be 20 years old. Never a problem for me as long as they looked and smelled fine. Usual advice is to load a few up on the bottom end of recommendations and give them a shot.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I just opened up a 4 pound round cardboard can of Red Dot that was still sealed and never been opened. I reloaded 3 boxes of 1 oz loads so I can try the powder before using it all up and then trying it.

A few months ago I did reload some Red Dot out of the same type of container and it had been opened and only about 2 pounds left in it. It shot just fine so I did use it up.

As long as your powder was stored in a dry place your powder should be good.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
If the powder was stored correctly, they can last for decades.

I can't find the source of information while I type this, but the recent year article said there're loaded muskets from the civil war era had been successfully fired.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
A couple of years ago I shot a case of reloads from 1984. They weren't stored under ideal conditions but they all went bang, no boom and no fffttt!

·
Registered
882 Posts
don't shoot it. send it to me for evaluation. honestly there should be no problems. I just finished and 8 lber from the early 80's

Mac

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I'm shooting some 500HS Winchester. The last reloading books that have any information were from 1964. It was good for a 23 from the 27 today.

I have some 4831 rifle powder that was sold in paper bags from ww11. Still works fine.

Ajax

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol mac thats awesome.thats great news guys.yeah the powder looks and smells fine,i just was worried it might have turned volitile or something and might blow my new 101 up.i'm gonna go ahead and load with it then.thanks fellas for the insight.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,910 Posts
More than 20 years if it is stored properly.

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
I believe in rotating the stock but I recently shot a flat that I loaded with Winchester Super Target about 25 years ago. I also have several pounds of Winchester Super Light and 540 that came in the old metal cans. I have no idea how old it is but I plan on shooting it in something.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am loading Red Dot that I got in a trade that has a production date of 1985 on the canister. It still looks and smells good and shoots fine. If stored properly smokeless powder will last a long, long time.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Considering ordinance from WWII is still being found on beaches and practice ranges and they are blowing it up kinda says it all. Steve

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Heat and humidity are the enemy of powder. Absence of that, it will
last a long time.
True that. Great Uncle Bill left my brother his WWII 1911 along with his foot locker full of everything he had. We were young and didn't know any better and shot the 1911 with a vintage box of .45 ammo. Some was absolutely perfect and some when pfffft and we could of thrown the lead farther by hand. Also popped off some 30-06 rounds that were old. Some worked fine and some just barely left barrel. We were lucky we didn't have a total squib and blew dad's 700 up.

Also kicking ourselves for not asking who's M1 was in the gun case. Always thought it was a friends so we never questioned him about it when we visited and went shooting our .22s and shotguns. Turns out it was his and before he passed, he gave it away.

He told us that we never asked about it so he thought we didn't like "big ol' guns". Picture tears running down our faces....but it was really cool to see all the old manuals on hand-to-hand combat, pictures, heck even his mess kit was in that trunk.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
great stories.i still havent shot any of my old greendot because of weather,but i have some loaded and ready for whenever this darn rain lets up

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I called Hodgdon about 6 months ago and I asked them what was the shelf life of IMR 700X and they told me 30-50 years. So call Alliant and ask them. Its probably longer than you think. Keep your powder cool and dry and you shouldn't have
and problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts