Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried bunker trap for the first time this past weekend and am wondering how the extreme angle compares to the ATA angle. Being too lazy to go look it up, but with complete confidence in the depth of knowledge here, I have taken the easy way out and have posed the question.

·
Registered
300 Posts
American trap ranges from 17 degrees to 22.5 degrees depending on which hole target is being used. Bunker maximum is 45 degrees from center.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
45*

ShotStop come out this coming Sunday to Redlands and shoot with us. Around 9:30am.

or this Sat at Triple B bunker for our club shoot. Arrive around 8:30am.

Are you concerned with lead? Don't worry about it. Assuming you're shooting int'l speed loads (or close to) just swing through it with your bbls and the second you touch the leading edge - shoot. If you focus on lead you'll be ahead or behind a lot. Eventually your brain will remember the proper 'picture' when it's time to shoot based on where your gun is shooting.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Each of the 15 machines in the bunker have a protractor like dial at their base (much like a chop saw) that can be turned to the determined angle dependent upon which scheme is being utilized. The angle is determined from the center mark of each of the five stations.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any math majors who can calculate the intercept angles from standing 16 yards directly behind the bunker 45 degree target and shooting from post 5 on an ATA target?

Can a wobble Pat Trap throw a 45 degree target?

·
Registered
642 Posts
A wobble Pat can throw a 45 and can throw a 1-1/2m-3m target. The intercept for a 45 from 5 is more extreme than from a bunker. Try shooting from post 3 only for a better presentation. The speed will be less as you need a third band and international targets to get 76m distance. Also, the low targets are more difficult from a raised trap house as the machine sits lower in the house and the target doesn't appear as soon.
Where did you shoot bunker?

·
Registered
642 Posts
A group meets at triple b on Wednesdays and Saturdays about 11:30. There is a competition as noted by Anti this Saturday if you'd like to join in we'd like to have you.

Chuck

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not only Bunker has wide angle they also have much wider range of target hight.
Each shooter will have the exact same kind of targets, two left, two right and one straight at each station. There're no lucky or un-lucky stations.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Shotstop.

I'm going to guess you already have figured this out to the extent I have. Despite all the 17 or 22 degree comparisons to bunker's 45 degrees, I believe the comparison is really closer to a little more than 34 degrees (maybe 39 degrees?) for 2 hole targets and 44 degrees for 3 hole targets. The reason is in bunker the shooter is roughly squared to the trap, and this does not change from post to post. In ATA the angles change on each post, and at 1 and 5 the max angles are achieved. With 2-hole targets viewed from post 5, the entire 34 degree arc of the trap begins slightly (about 5 degrees?) right of a straight-away, so the entire 34 degree movement is to the right of center, making the extreme right target roughly 34 degrees plus 5 degrees. So I say comparison of angles is ATA 39 or 44 (depending on 2 or 3 hole) vs 45 for bunker.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
No.

Remember, you have to take into consideration how the angles change in American Trap, but not in Bunker. 17 degrees would be a valid comparison if we only shot from post 3, but from post 5, the hard right is closer to 39 degrees from straight away. A 3 hole hard right target from 5 would be 44 degrees right of the center line to the trap. With 2 hole from 5, nothing is in that first 5 degrees to right of center since the target doesn't go that far left. Next, starting at about 5 degrees right of center is where the full 34 degree range of the trap begins, all to the right. Total is 39.

maybe I don't see it correctly - but look at it this way. Assume 2 hole from 5. Set trap to hard left. From post 5 that should be about 5 degrees right of center. Now rotate the trap the full 34 degrees to the right. All of that motion is to my right and brings it to about 39 degrees right of a straight away - which is the comparison to use in relation to bunker. .

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it. As a 3 hole is a straight from 1 or 5 then the hard angle would be a full 34 degree rotation.

That explains why I didn't find the hard angles that much more difficult than ATA trap.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That's how I see it ( except for 3 hole the trap is 44 degrees right of center from 5). Despite all the comments we read, the angles aren't really the issue. It's mainly the speed in my opinion, plus the variable height that we are not used to. My opinion may not mean much, but that's how I see it.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I shot one round with my BT99 and 4 of the 5 I missed were the flat angles but I think that was more of not getting my high POI gun under the target as I had no problem hitting the high hard angles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts