Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CB8118-12
CB8118-12 (Fig 8)

For use in 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 oz. Trap, skeet, sporting clay or hunting loads. Performs best in tapered hulls, Remington or Winchester.

Optimum load is 1-1/8 oz.
CB3118-12A
CB3118-12A (White 8)

For use in 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 oz. Trap, skeet, sporting clay or hunting loads. Performs best in tapered hulls, Remington or Winchester.

Optimum load is 1-1/8 oz.

They look almost alike and the write up is the same, so what is the difference??
Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Quote from a Shotgunworld post.

"I too had the same question on what the difference was. The only difference I could see was that the 3118-12A White had a fold line in the outer side of the crush section where the 8118-12 is more true to the Rem Fig 8 and has the true round or 8 shaped crush section.

I noticed that my supplier had a better price on the 3118-12A White wads and all my measurements ruled out any real world differences in the two wads so, I called J-Ron about it. I talked to a nice man there and he said that the 3118-12A White was produced first when Remington still had a patent on the design and they needed a difference so they made the slight difference in the crush section. The 8118-12 is a more exact copy of the Remington design and came later after the patent ran out. He said they can be loaded the same way, but that I might pattern them to see if I get any difference in performance. Made sense to me, I ended up buying a couple of cases of the CB-3118-12A White."

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
At the state shoot a little while ago I was told the 8118-12A(fig 8) is a direct replacement for the remington figure 8 wad.

Where as the 8118-12AR(red 8) was deveveloped to directly replace the Federal 12C1, and fit well in straight sided hulls like Feds and import hulls.

The 8118-12A(white 8) is very similar to thr red 8 but with a smaller base specifically designed to go in the tapered base of AA or Rem. hulls

This info was given to me by a claybuster rep. Maybe give them a call to confirm? BYG

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I've been using them interchangeably with the same 1 1/8 oz. load in STS's and Nitros with the same results. I had a somewhat similar question back some time ago and a member here summed it up for me with Oregunners response and we exchanged some load info.

The Whites are harder for me to find and get, and they were a bit cheaper.

Claybuster puts out a great product. I've been using them for many, many years.

One of my best reloads uses the factory Remington RXP wads. I hope a quality clone of this comes out. I refuse to pay Rems current prices on them over the last couple of years. When I'm out I guess that will be it for RXP's.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I asked claybuster's the same question,and the reply I got was 'nothing" there is no difference between the two,load them the same.If you dont belive it send them an e-mail for your self and see ..Ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts