Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I'd read TimB's pattern testing threads, and try what he reviews as having at least medium shot (in hardness) for 16s and medium-hard to hard for handicap, provided they gave patterns at least 70+%.

Tim's methods are scientific and evidence based, rather than anecdotal.

·
Premium Member
5,568 Posts
Now, Now, Lets give him the benefit of the doubt.

As for the OP's question. Just about anything will do for singles, but a shell with good hard shot for handicap. Don't assume all so called premium shells have hard shot. Timb99 tested the shot in some Federal Gold Medal (purple) shells for me a couple days ago and the shot tested as soft/medium. Very disappointing!

Reactions: timb99

·
Registered
367 Posts
As pointed out, Tim has provided us with some great patterning information. That’s one facet of determining a great shell. Other points to consider when finding the “best” shell, which I personally don’t like that term as it inevitably will come down to personal choice, are many. What about cost? If a cheaper shell works well for both, is the more expensive premium shell now any better? What are your expectations for scores? If you’re new to the sport and you’re happy with scores in the teens then many different shells will be equivalent to each other. What about availability? The best shell may be the shell you can find on a regular basis. Cost? Is cheaper the best because you can buy more? What about human preference? The whole Dumbo’s feather phenomenon. If shell X gets you your best scores but is considered an inferior shell by others, is it best or inferior? Those of us who reload our own shells will argue that our shells are best because we made them after trying out different recipes and have settled, for the time being, on our particular load as being the best and we may have saved some money over buying factory ammo, a whole different convo in itself however.

All of this is to say, there is no best shell. It’s whatever you like. You’re going to get a bunch of responses. If you have the means, try them all and see for yourself what works. Trying different shells that forum members swear by might be an exercise in futility. It could be argued that it’d be more practical to pick one shell and go practice shooting it and stick with it.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,187 Posts
The best shell for you, is the shell that works in your gun and with your choke. Testing on a pattern board and shooting are your best indicators. Price and availability are the other considerations. Like someone has already suggested most of the time your misses are NOT the shells or your gun, it’s you. This sport of ours is mental as well as physical. Consistent mounting of the gun. A good preshot routine, and concentration on the target, all play an important role in trap shooting. Get your basics down. Practice. Have fun.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Singles doesn't really matter. But I don't think any factory shell hits a 27 yard target like a Silver Bullet.
Kills werewolves dead, too.

AA's in their respective loadings, and Rem. STS for 16, Nitro 27's for caps are the best factory shells in my opinion. I stick to brass based hulls because my Ljutic doesn't. This was proven again last night when I let a guy shoot a round with the Mono Gun, and he used Fiocchi Supremas. (Brass-washed steel base) About every third hull stuck in the chamber. I popped the first one out for him, and he carried the wad knocker rod with him the rest of the round. He still managed to shoot a 23.

Oh, yes. My reloads also.

·
5,388 Posts
1 oz of 9s for 16s... handicap would depend on the yardage...

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
I was wondering what the best shell made .
For 16 yard singles. It would be the cheapest shell on sale this week in your area!!!

For handicap, The Walmart 4-packs for great for the vast majority of shooters who are shooting 23 yards or less. If your shooting from the 24-27 yard line? You would not be asking this question! break em all Jeff

·
Banned
3,989 Posts
Any skeet load should work from the 16 with a duckbill, 40MM Bofors from the fence.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
i was wondering what the best shell made.
As others have noted, for singles, pick whatever you like that is legal for ATA. LOTS of people just go with whatever brand 1-1/8 ounces of 7-1/2's or 8's at 1145 fps.

For handicap, depends on your yardage. Way back at 27 yards use the shells with the hardest shot you can get. If you're not sure which that is, just use AA's or STS's or Nitro 27's. My testing shows that Aguila is also currently using very hard shot.

NORMALLY these brands can be counted on to have hard shot.

Normally

1 - 20 of 45 Posts