Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

what is the best primers and does it matter

6K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  oleolliedawg 
#1 ·
whats is the differants in primers

#7 ·
There is only one caveat I consider with shotgun primers.

Hot primers for slow powder. You need a decent burn, and getting it started right is the secret. NO hot primers for fast powder or light loads.

All else is to no effect. Metallic loading is another story.

HM

#8 ·
ok so far i guess it don,t matter well years ago we did not have a lot of brands now there is so many primers and talk about wad,s well gee,s hard to put a load together ok reson i ask this ??? is i want to load sts hull,s and use clay,s powder loading 1 oz what primer is best yet you read about this powder and green dot and red dot well it goes on and on what wad what powder what primer as we reload the ? i ask what is the best and does it or don,t it matter i guess it if it goes goes boom and they all do i guess it is what you want to pay sure is alot out there thanks,,

#11 ·
Brandon: I have sevral bad AA primers that I can send you. Hard hits and no bang. I have sent them back to Winchester and they usually make good on them with a coupon. I have one sitting around in a cut open shell from last week. When do you want it? Fred [Yes, I still prefer AA over all th others]

#12 ·
I have loaded STS, Winchester, and Federal primers. I have several malfunctions out of each hundred. The gun goes band but there does seem to be a problem with lead application on the target. Uh, oh, by the way , the gun does go bang and I would not want to stand in front of these "malfunctioning loads".

Charlie

#14 ·
Having used most primers, I prefer the Cheddite for standard size, or the Rio for everything.

I have access to many free Diana, Rio, and Kemen hulls. The Rio is the primer for these. They work in the coldest weather. I use REX I, UNIQUE, and INTL' CLAYS.

Both of these primers are soft and trouble free. Good for O/U's.

#17 ·
I only use primers that are designed to fit into the specific hull I am loading. If I load AA hulls, I only use AA primers. If one sees a small black ring on the brass around the primer, it suggests that the shape of the primer does not fit the shape of the primer pocket of the hull.

I could save a bit of money using cheaper components for my loads but I am interested in loading the best shell, not the cheapest shell, I can reload.

Pat Ireland

#18 ·
Pat is righ on. I bought some Nobel primers ( big mistake) I used them in Federal papers and some sts hulls. The black ring was evident in all reloaded hulls and when I tried reloading those hulls again the primer would not seat. After inspection it appeared that they seated ok, just would not stay in the pocket. If I tried a federal primer after using the nobel, the fed would fall out. I have about 4000 nobels to use up now but I know that once I use a nobel the hull is toast

#20 ·
For ATA shoots, I like the Federal F209A in a Gold Medal hull, Federal 12S3 wad and 19.3 of Green Dot with 1 1/8 oz of 8's. This load shoots soft, hits hard and always works on even the coldest day.

For turkey matches, I like the Remington 209P in a STS hull, 25 grains of Herco, the Remington SP12 wad and 1 1/4 oz of 7's.

I prefer the same manufacturers primer in the manufacturers hull.

I shot 10,000 Cheddites in Federal Top Gun hulls, 12SO wads, 17.5 of E3 and 1 oz of 8's and this load worked great. I reloaded the hulls 2 or 3 times. However, I had trouble with the steel hulls in my 870 so I do not use it anymore.

Ed Ward

#23 ·
ok what makes the primers in so many ways different. Is it the metal or what kind of metal or is it the size and what is in it or not in each primer that makes them all different. Are all primers made with different stuff to make it faster burning and some slow. Does a primer make a difference in recoil. I ask and I read and I do go by the books but you would think all primers are NOT the same so what differs between any and all primers that are made. Does anyone know how one primer is made to another primer ,,,thanks,, frazee,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.