Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,482 Posts
I agree with Pat Ireland. I started shootong in 1990 and always used Win. hulls and Win. primers. They're made for each other. like love and marriage,horse and carriage, etc,etc. LOL Bulge

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
ok what makes the primers in so many ways different. Is it the metal or what kind of metal or is it the size and what is in it or not in each primer that makes them all different. Are all primers made with different stuff to make it faster burning and some slow. Does a primer make a difference in recoil. I ask and I read and I do go by the books but you would think all primers are NOT the same so what differs between any and all primers that are made. Does anyone know how one primer is made to another primer ,,,thanks,, frazee,

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I would respectfully remind everyone that France continued supplying military materials to Sadam and his army well after we were in a shooting war in Iraq.

I don't buy ANYTHING I can identify as having come from France, including BIC pens and Cheddite primers.

sissy

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Nobels are no good. I'm well into 50,000 of them with no misfires yet but,I'm expecting it at any time now......NOT!

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
I've never had a misfire with Winchester primers.

Repeat. Never.

They fit great in Remington 12 gauge hulls and Federal/Estste 28 gauge hulls.

As expected, they fit great in Winchester hulls too.

to me, just pick one of the major brands and stick with it. And follow the load data.

I tried some NobelSport primers to save $40, and had a few bloopers. More than I can accept. Probably one or more out of every 100. So I'm using them for my sub-gauge skeet loads until they're all gone.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I use the Winchester W209 and Federal 209A the most. They seem to give decent consistency in colder temps and perform well in more moderate weather. I have tried a lot of the "bargain" primers and have had issues with several of them. The Nobel Sports and Rio primers are oversized, so a standard 209 primer should not be loaded in a hull after them. Some older Cheddites were oversized, as were the Fiocchi 615. In all cases, use the exact components listed in the data, unless you have data to support a substitution. A primer substitution can yield a pressure change of several thousand PSI. That's not a good thing if it pushes the pressures over recommended limits. If there is no data available, I'd hesitate to use a primer with nothing to go on. Wolf is one bargain primer for which there is no data available. If someone tells you just to use winchester data, be sure to ask them for the data to support that. I haven't had anyone provide it yet. When in doubt, you can always send some loads out for pressure testing.

Some people have reported firing pin issues/damage using the Cheddite primers. I've never encountered any, but thought I'd mention it.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Let's see, I've been reloading since 1963. At one time,Federal primers were the only recommended primer in town as most old timers can recall that fact.Since then, I believe I've had one misfire (I do not load Federals exclusively) in that time. I've had several with Winchesters (two in one box) plenty of Remingtons and Fiochis. No, I do not recommend Federals for every casing but they can always be counted on to fire!!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.