Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is involved shipping Gun Powder and is it something only Gun Dealers can do...or can anyone ship it.

Also....I'm looking for a powder source that has good powder prices ...and will ship to different states.

Our club in Ft. Worth, buys thru Gene Sears in Oklahoma (with good pricing)....but they are low on most powders right now.

Tips anyone...??

Best regards...Stan

·
Premium Member
12,319 Posts
it must be shipped as 'hazardous material.'

Loaded ammo can be shipped as ORM-D, but powder (and bulk primers) need the haz-mat labels.

This is an added cost to regular shipping - can't go USPS - typically via private carrier - ground.

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
In order to be able to ship HazMat, you need to have Hazmat certification. Cheapest I've found for this is about $300 for an online class. Then you have a lot of extra paperwork to fill out with each shipment, additional shipping costs, ect.

For only the largest dealers and wholesalers is this economically feasible (the kind of dealers that are going to be shipping hundreds of pounds of powder on a weekly if not daily basis). I doubt you'll find ANY small town mom and pop operation that has hazmat certification.

I've bought powder from Powder Valley recently, but I think you'll find that whatever it is you're looking for, its probably in short supply most everywhere. And figure if you're ordering one container of powder, shipping and hazmat charges are going to be at least $40 combined. 48lb can be put on one hazmat form, for one hazmat charge, so if you are having it shipped, you can ameliorate shipping and hazmat costs by buying all 48lb worth.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I think only certain firms can ship powder. I received someone elses powder that was mistakenly shipped to me. I tried to ship it to correct the error, and was turned away. I had to have Powder Valley, Inc initiate the shipping and they mailed me the proper stickers so that FEDEX would pick it up from my house.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
I stopped in my local Post Office last week to ask about shipping a 1lb container of Red Dot. I was told, NO extra charge, put it in a flat rate box and ship like normal. Only difference is that the box would have a sticker on it stating it was Hazardous.

Was my post office worker completely loony, or are you guys mistaken? OR does it matter on the quantity that makes the difference?

BTW I took an empty container in to show her and she read the bottle and looked it over very carefully.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
I did NOT mail anything...I went in to inquire about shipping it.

So are you saying it isn't legal to do that and that the postal worker doesn't know what she was talking about?

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
It is not legal to ship powder or ammunition via USPS. The postal inspectors will take this VERY seriously if you are caught. There is NO way to ship powder legally without using Fedex or UPS (or perhaps a freight carrier if you're shipping a lot of it), and paying a hazmat fee.

I would bring your experience to the postmasters attention at that post office, as the advise the counter person gave you is setting you up for a HUGE fall if you get caught (hefty fines and jail time).

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
Thanks for the info Skeet man. I did not know this, hence why I inquired at the post office in the first place.

I have however received many, many shipments of ammo from individuals that I purchased over the internet via USPS. Just a couple weeks ago I received 6 boxes of shotgun shells from a seller on Gun Broker via USPS. I guess they got lucky, or have no idea it isn't legal either.

I prefer to not risk jail time, so I won't be doing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts