Trapshooters Forum banner

What is a good gun for trap and sporting clays??

12K views 36 replies 30 participants last post by  acorange 
#1 ·
Help please, I enjoy shooting skeet, tray and sporting clays. I have a good
skeet gun but need recommendations for a good 12 ga trap/sporting clays gun.
My budget is $1400. I recently lost out on a deal for a Beretta with
a 30 & 34 inch barrel set, just wasn't quick enough. I shoot three/four
times a month, I am not a serious competitor, I shoot just for the fun of it.
Your recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!
Bill G.

#4 ·
Remington 1100 competition will get it all done for you @ $1050-$1100 brand new.
Unlike some others new on the scene, the 1100 is a time proven workhorse that's been around for 50 years.

#7 ·
Thanks for the responses.

My skeet gun is a Ruger Red Line O/U field gun with 26" barrel w/choke tubes. I "usually" shoot in the low 20s and I hunt with this gun also. Not as fancy as a lot of the guns in the club but it works for me.

I have a Rem 1100 field gun I have tried on trap and sporting clays but I don't score well with it. I will see if someone in the club has a competition model to try.

A friend has a Weatherby O/U, 30" he is willing to sell for $900. Anyone know anything about these?

Also looking at a Gamba 32" O/U Abercrombe & Fitch for $1400. A little leery of this one because of the parts issue. Looks nice, the current Owner has promised to let me shoot it next week.

#9 ·
If that Ruger is a 12 ga, all I can say is OUCH!!! When you shoot a game that includes doubles ~ by the time that Ruger knocks the crap outta you on the first shot, you're out of the gun for the second shot. Recoil makes a big difference when you shoot a game with doubles!

#10 ·
Bill, Gun fit is more important than any other factor on which gun to buy. Today most shooters want longer and longer barrels. This gives you a longer sighting plane to aim with. But you don't aim a shotgun, you point it. I say use what you have until you know what kind of gun you want, with all the features that work for you. Try shooting as many different guns as you can in your price range and take your time. Don't rush into buying someone's used gun "just because" he may sell it soon. Have you tried adjustable butt plates? Or Adjustable combs?. To you need Cast on? or Cast off? If so how much. If you shoot Skeet and hunt as well, I'd say you are used to a low POI shotgun. If so, I would suggest you stay away from a High POI Trap guns. If you have any trouble understanding any terms I've mentioned on here??? Find out what I mean and how do they apply to "you". Then "you" will have your answer to your question. Have you ever been gun fitted by a pro.??? To see what features you may need in a shotgun. I hope I've confused you a little, only to help you in the long run. Best of Luck on your quest for a new shotgun. Break em all. Jeff

#12 ·
I agree with Border Bandit and others on here. The Browning '25 series represent a solid value. Another you might want to consider is a Browning "Special Sporting Clays" model, maybe with an adjustable comb. I currently shoot a Perazzi but there's a lot to be said for those Brownings....

#13 ·
Thank You ALL for the responses.
Jeff, thank you, you are point on. There are several things in your response I need to explore and learn. I have time and the budget will grow, "slowly". I will ask if there is a pro that does fittings in the local area or reasonable driving distance.
Again, thank you all.
Bill G.

#14 ·
You'll get 1,000 great opinions and none be wrong. It has to fit you relatively well to shoot as an all-around.

As an all-around target gun I own a Beretta AL391 Gold Parallel Target 32" that I can and have used for skeet, trap, 5-stand and sporting. A target crushing gun. Shims and 2 recoil pads make it easy to get a good fit. Just my opinion but I feel Beretta makes or has the best factory extended choke tubes out there but just my opinion. Beretta makes a great target auto and I can only recommend trying to shoot one. A couple of guys I know have had issues with the newer 400's but it's more of a light target ammo issue than gun issue.

But, I prefer to shoot targets on a regular basis with a Browning BT-99, Citori Trap or Sporting O/U.

#16 ·
There is a CZ Redhead for sale on this site. Its in your budget. You will be able to shoot every shotgun discipline with this shotgun. Go buy this gun and do not look back. If a CZ is good enough for Tom Mack to shoot at major sporting clays events it cannot be all that bad. Les

#17 ·
Listen to those that tell you Browning; buy a '25 series in 30" barrel and you could even dump the Ruger. The browning with an adjustable comb will shoot all the disciplines, plus if you decide to change guns you can get your money out of it. Don't count on that with some of the other brands.
John

#18 ·
I have a Beretta 682 with choke tubes and an adjustable comb. This gun serves as my backup trap gun and my sporting clays gun. I place the comb all the way down when shooting sporting clays and when I want to shoot trap I just change chokes and place 2 nylon washers on each post of the adjustable comb. Works great. As was mentioned look for a used Browning or Beretta O/U and you can stay near your budget and have a good reliable gun. Good luck.. Ed

#20 ·
I'll throw in the Superposed. A very well built firearm but considered not competitive with today's offerings. I still own a '65 Broadway Trap (IM/F) that I had Briley put tubes into to make it an all-around gun for Trap, Sporting and Skeet and occasionally some bird hunting.

If you stumble into a nice specimen, at the right price, it could be a contender for your consideration.

Respectfully offered,

j.

#22 ·
I've settled on a 391 Teknys Sporting for all the discipline’s. You just need a semi-flat shooting gun that fits well..Good luck with the search..

#24 ·
Went to a gent recommended by some of the club shooters to get fitted for a shotgun. He had me try 10 different guns. Since I do not intend to shoot competitively, shoot only 2-3 times a month and my physical size 6'4", he recommended I not spend the money on having a gun fitted. He told me to shoot as many different "off the shelf" guns as I can and pick one I like.

That being said, yesterday I shot a Browning Broadway Trap O/U 32" that is for sale by a club member. Shot a 24 with it!!! He wants $1000 for the gun, though it was made in 1962. Cabelas has one listed for ~$1100. Is this a reasonable price given the guns age?? I would say he has shot it often but it is in excellent condition. Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

#25 ·
I have been shooting a 1100 remington compitition synthetic and love it. I took it to the pattern board and got it shooting perfect for trap. Then I drop the comb down for shooting sporting clays and skeet. You get all the chokes you need to shoot trap, sporting clays or skeet. I paid less,then a $1000.00 out the door at Sportsman Warehouse. Never been sorry and never had a problem.

#26 ·
That's a great price for that gun. The only problem would be that it is probably choked IM/F, M/F or F/F which may not be the best chokes for sporting clays. however, if you would want you can have Briley install choke tubes. Those old Belgium made Brownings were a good gun and at that price you can't go wrong. (Especially with 32" barrels). Good luck. Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.