Trapshooters Forum banner

What hulls are favorites?

5657 Views 63 Replies 57 Participants Last post by  Path Finder
What hulls do you prefer? How many times do you reload them?
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Anything with an all-brass head and Rem target hulls. Right now, I'm loading AAHS. I'm getting ready to switch over to Fed Gold Medal once fall comes. And I load them until they split up the side or start getting cracks around the crimp.

· Premium Member
13,759 Posts
AACF exclusively. I really don't know how many reloads I get out of them. Load them until they split in the petals or the side.

· Premium Member
112 Posts
My favorites are AAHS. I was having a problem with AACF hulls with buckling near the crimp. Tried several adjustments and couldn't fix it so since I have about a thousand HS and they crimp perfectly with no other issues they are my favorite I’ve been loading them several times and discarding them when they split the sides or at the petals.

· Read Only
3,349 Posts
I preferred the old ribbed Federal Gold Medal Plastic and the Federal Paper hulls. The older Federal hulls were very long wearing. I could easily get 5 reloads out of the ribbed Federal Gold Medal plastics with the brass heads. In a pinch, those older Federal ribbed plastic hulls could be loaded many times past 5 reloads, depending on the condition of the case mouth.

I am not able to shoot any more due to weak legs. I still have several flats of unfired Federal ribbed plastic Gold Medals in case my legs get better.

· Registered
267 Posts
Off topic, sorry, Teach...in our lesson leagues which I always attended, we were taught to shoot sitting also. Like lawn chair...it's in the position of the chair. Peeps also shot from scooters. Back to topic, fave hulls...all of them!!. Starting with the AA, RXP, Champion2, Federal paper, heck even Rem 57's were ok. Didnt care for Rem ribbed or Win paper. CIL were ok, but thin brass. Something with the Rem all american and short Alcan primers gave issues. Now Remgunclub or STS type, still have barrels of AACF.

· Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I preferred the old ribbed Federal Gold Medal Plastic and the Federal Paper hulls. The older Federal hulls were very long wearing. I could easily get 5 reloads out of the ribbed Federal Gold Medal plastics with the brass heads. In a pinch, those older Federal ribbed plastic hulls could be loaded many times past 5 reloads, depending on the condition of the case mouth.

I am not able to shoot any more due to weak legs. I still have several flats of unfired Federal ribbed plastic Gold Medals in case my legs get better.
The old Gold Medals with the black writing on them were the best . Wish I still had some.....

Reactions: 6541

· Registered
4,780 Posts
Then, Champion II and RXP. Would load till the crimps were burnt to a crisp, usually about 20 reloads.
Now, Top Guns and Estates with the paper base wad and Gun Clubs, two and done. Also the occasional STS/Nitro and Rem. Clay and Field.
And always Federal Papers

· Registered
414 Posts
The Red AA's .... I'm sure there are some that have had probably 10 loads in them. Love the way they crimp.
Don't like the grey hulls, seem softer.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.