Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this random hull while scrounging at the end of a sporting clays tournament. Never seen a rabbit with steam coming out of its ears on a hull before. Thought it was funny. Ever see one? Some kind of euro hull but no idea what brand is selling it

·
Registered
14,098 Posts
Looks like an old Estate shell. When they were based in TX, they'd do just about any custom load you could want if you ordered enough of them. At one point I had a box of Wimpys Wobble Trap loads which was what appeared to be a wobble trap league b/w NY, PA, and DE. The steel cap is a bit of a headscratcher though, since TX Estates should have a brass plated head, but who knows.

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Found this random hull while scrounging at the end of a sporting clays tournament. Never seen a rabbit with steam coming out of its ears on a hull before. Thought it was funny. Ever see one? Some kind of euro hull but no idea what brand is selling it
What Rufus80 said.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have some hulls that are Thrilling brand. They are blue hulls and have the same stars and 12 on the base. They shot great and were super cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Europeans produce ammunition differently than we do here. Cheddite makes nearly all the hulls and the headstamps are just like the OP photo. Cheddite makes most of the wads and primers. Most European ammo manufacturers purchase components from Cheddite and load the shells. B&P makes their own hulls as an exception. Here, of course, all three shotshell manufacturers make their own hulls with their own headstamps and make their own primers. I believe all three source the wads in the U.S. [I know Remington and Winchester do] .

Anyway, if you see a foreign hull with the stars, it is Cheddite.

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Scott, correct me if I’m wrong but rio manufactures all its components. The cheddite stars I believe all have a dot in the center of the star while rio has a star in a star.

·
Registered
32,245 Posts
This hull is serrated if that helps any. The original Estates made in Texas before Federal bought and moved to Anoka might be another answer, their brass had stars on it too.

·
Registered
32,245 Posts
Right. I am just saying it might be an early Estates Cheditte.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was more or less just wondering about the print and its origin. It's a fun graphic.

Gun clubs are the gift that keeps on giving. As I use them I'm building my sts and nitro stash. No reason to load euro trash.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32,245 Posts
The only difference between steel based hulls made in the USA and steel based hulls made in Europe is some are made in the USA and others made in Europe.

·
Premium Member
5,907 Posts
The only difference between steel based hulls made in the USA and steel based hulls made in Europe is some are made in the USA and others made in Europe.
Well, this is not true. Rem makes at least 2 steel based hulls, the Gun Club and the Clay and Field, which are tapered-walled. Some of the AACF hulls, tapered, have a steel base. None of the steel based hulls made in Europe are tapered. It makes a big difference in terms of wad selection and the tapered hulls typically take a bit lighter powder charge than the straight walled European hulls.

·
Premium Member
5,907 Posts
I was more or less just wondering about the print and its origin. It's a fun graphic.

Gun clubs are the gift that keeps on giving. As I use them I'm building my sts and nitro stash. No reason to load euro trash.

Probably some promotional seasonal game load shells made under contract for the retailer.

·
Registered
32,245 Posts
Well, this is not true. Rem makes at least 2 steel based hulls, the Gun Club and the Clay and Field, which are tapered-walled. Some of the AACF hulls, tapered, have a steel base. None of the steel based hulls made in Europe are tapered. It makes a big difference in terms of wad selection Andrew the tapered hulls typically take a bit lighter powder charge than the straight walled European hulls.
Lot of people feel Euro hulls are trash, maybe they are, but they are similar to US trash hulls with cheap components and soft shot as you and so many others have said before.

Federal, Estate and Euro hulls are all made the same, plastic tube, plastic or paper base wad, steel base. STS with brass base, and Gun Clubs with steel base are compression formed and Winchester AA’s with brass base and SS with steel base, poly formed with plastic base wad, AA’s, STS/Nitro, Fed Grand and Estates supposed to have harder shot, yes I know that.

If people think Euro shells are trash because of they are made using the Reifenhauser methods, so are some US shells, so they must be trash too.

Reactions: Two Dogs

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, this is not true. Rem makes at least 2 steel based hulls, the Gun Club and the Clay and Field, which are tapered-walled. Some of the AACF hulls, tapered, have a steel base. None of the steel based hulls made in Europe are tapered. It makes a big difference in terms of wad selection and the tapered hulls typically take a bit lighter powder charge than the straight walled European hulls.
Not to mention the Remington hulls are abundant, easily identified, no separate base wad, and there is a ton of published data for them. I'm sure the euro hulls are fine to reload if you have a good system down. To me it's not worth the sorting when the AA and Remington hulls are so easy to come by.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts