Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had to slow down. After I raise my gun I wait for the pieces of the prior target to clear the air, then I let my focus settle out in the field before calling. That last part, letting my focus settle out in the field is key. There's a feeling to it, so I know it's then time to call. This usually makes me the slowest shooter on the squad, but I find it helps my scores quite a bit. Practicing this the other night I shot a 49/50. Without it I shot a 43/50. Same night.

I'm 62. Oh, and I make sure I get my eyes checked every year now. My prescription has changed the last 2 years in a row.

You?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Focus out in the field, plan on a straight away, that's keeps a quiet gun, walk, and do arm exercises while walking. 64 yrs old.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Arthritis in my knees and stenosis in my lumbar spine forced me to use a stool to sit on to shoot in 2009. That changed EVERYTHING. Still trying to figure out doubles and a different gun fit on my O/U.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
For the last couple of years I use a foam block with magnet at the local range and a toe pad attached to my shoe else where. The gun seems to have gained weight along with me. At any shoot where they run 4 trap banks I make sure that I take a leak when the squad before mine takes the line. I just made it to 67.

Jason

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Three things I noticed that have changed when I passed 50.

I start to spend more time at the gym than at the range, I tried to keep lifting the same weight, and run the same distance as from 20 years ago.

While I'm at the range, I spend more time talk about guns than shooting.

While I'm shooting, regardless how others shoot, fast, slow, talking, or shot out of turn, they don't bother me anymore. I enjoy shooting my own targets, don't give a hula what others do. And I always finish my rounds with a smile, even I missed more than 2 or 3 birds.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Joe hit it on the head - regarding glasses. I just went for my exam after 9 years, the guy told me, since I'd been there last. Things are so in focus now it's like a new world. I'll have to learn to shoot all over again - just kidding but it seems like it. Bird colors are so vibrant now it amazed me. I did get aviator style so I don't have that damn bar running right thru the bird - the "in style" glasses of 9 years ago my wife talked me into.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
I miss a lot more than I used to especially on doubles.
Cannot keep gun still when I call for target.
I know what I'm doing wrong but fail to correct it from week to week.
Other than that foot position since I had hip replaced.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Four Advil when I get up. Two cups of coffee and vitamins before breakfast to restore circulation. Make sure I grab the right shooting vest. One seems to have shrunk. Every round of regular trap is wobble trap. No need to shoot international trap. These go to fast as they are. When it is my turn to go to the line I have to stop and think. Do I really want to subject myself to this humiliation? As far as working out. Nah! It tires me out to watch other people exercise.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
i dont worry about bead alignment when i mount.
i cant see them anymore!
i just depend on the fact that my gun and i have shot so many times together, i know where its suppose to be by feel and memory.

Reactions: BryanF

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
70. Nap time when I get home. Spinal surgery and fusions Monday and Thursday. Haven't been able to stand up long enough to shoot a round in years.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Late 60's. I go to the local YMCA three times a week for a light workout. That Ljutic seems to be getting heaver. And I've slowed down my setup time, pausing and focusing a little longer before I call for the bird. I no longer participate in a machine gun squads. I pay for the targets so, I'll shoot as fast or slow as I want.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts