Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased these about a month ago and they were new manufacture Remington Gun Clubs. I was practicing today with my Model 12 for the nostalgia shoot at the Grand in a few weeks when I encountered three of them that blew the the primer apart. You can look straight through the hull and the anvil is present but loose and easily removed. The two ok looking ones are what 68 of them looked like, and the other one is just pierced but did not come apart. 75 rounds....68 good, 3 blown apart, 4 pierced.

Opinions? I do plan on taking them to the Remington rep at the Grand. I never had an issue with other types of ammo in this gun.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Post Covid/ bankruptcy ammo comes to mind. Possible QC issues caused by rushed production, inferior raw materials. Ain’t nuthin as well produced as it used to be. Looks as though Big Greens got problems. I wonder if we’ll see more of this.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Interesting. As these are new manufacture ( post bankruptcy), I’m thinking they changed primers from the classic Gun Clubs. I just checked some new GC shells made a couple years ago from my backup supply. The primers are silver in the center with the brass/ copper colored outer ring . They used to advertise the use of the high grade STS primers. Is that claim still on the new box? Possibly related, I also have some new Peters shells, also from a couple years ago. They have the all copper/ brass coloring as yours do. I had occasional pierced primers on the lower barrel of my Citori With these, but never with the old GC w STS primers..

·
Registered
719 Posts
someone at our club had the same thing with a model 12.we found the caps in the trigger group when the trigger was removed because the gun would not fire

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am tempted to dismiss the headspace problem as I've never had an issue with this gun. I've shot thousands of rounds using Cheddite primers in reloads and new loads such as Estate and Top Guns in it. I can remember maybe one or two pierced primers over the years but nothing like this.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I had 1 of those shells yesterday where the wad got stuck in my barrel on doubles, first time in 10 years of shooting that has happened...the other 49 fired with no issues.....

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
I am tempted to dismiss the headspace problem as I've never had an issue with this gun. I've shot thousands of rounds using Cheddite primers in reloads and new loads such as Estate and Top Guns in it. I can remember maybe one or two pierced primers over the years but nothing like this.
Time to buy/rent (4D Reamer Rentals) or find someone with headspace gauges and rule out (or determine to be) your gun being the problem. Is bottom-center protruding from the face of the hull, it doesn't look too awesome either?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Didn't have the primer problem but had 1 in each box of 2 had large enough holes in the crimps that all the shot fell out and was laying in the bottom of the box. Those were from an old flat I had not gotten to use until recently. Best guess they were before bankruptcy. Tuesday I have 2 flats of gun clubs arriving so we'll see what the newer ones do. I'll post if problems.

·
Registered
33,685 Posts
I have had that problem although very rare with Gun Clubs, prior to their bankruptcy and purchase by Vista, but, not that many at one time. I would find them minus the primer cup after I got home and sorted the shells for reloading. I still have some new gun clubs I purchased years ago and get several pierced primers out of flat.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Time to buy/rent (4D Reamer Rentals) or find someone with headspace gauges and rule out (or determine to be) your gun being the problem. Is bottom-center protruding from the face of the hull, it doesn't look too awesome either?
I'll take it to Phillip when I get to the Grand and have him take a look. The shell bases look fine otherwise. No bowing, indentations, etc.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Certainly check to see where the debris went. Be sure and take the box to the Grand as well as the shells. Remington may want any day codes or other numbers from it.
Pulling the trigger this afternoon. I felt one of the three fall out and bounce off my hand. And yes...they are in the camper in the original box. My guess is I will get nowhere with them but I will be going after I take the gun to get looked at so I can blow that excuse out of the water when they most likely try and tell me it was the gun's fault...

·
Registered
354 Posts
I purchased these about a month ago and they were new manufacture Remington Gun Clubs. I was practicing today with my Model 12 for the nostalgia shoot at the Grand in a few weeks when I encountered three of them that blew the the primer apart. You can look straight through the hull and the anvil is present but loose and easily removed. The two ok looking ones are what 68 of them looked like, and the other one is just pierced but did not come apart. 75 rounds....68 good, 3 blown apart, 4 pierced.

Opinions? I do plan on taking them to the Remington rep at the Grand. I never had an issue with other types of ammo in this gun.

View attachment 1759750 View attachment 1759751
Looks like the primers are set too deep and the cups backed out when fired.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Your gun would be the last place I would look, other then to clean out any debris. The primers that did not blow out look to be more flattened than what I normally see on shotgun hulls. Flat primer is a sign of over pressure. I would check not shoot any more from that lot number until things are figured out. Why cook a good firing pin using practice shells?

I would also EMail those pictures to Remington, they may want to recall that lot number

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had problems at the world with 20ga STS having light hits. Probably 3-4 out of 100. Remington rep was an arrogant jerk. Said there's no way its the ammo because they make the best ammo in the business.. 2 other people came in with the same issue and he gave them the same blow it off attitude. I hope he lost his job in the bankruptcy because he didn't know how to talk to people. He doesn't belong in customer service.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts