Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
5,388 Posts
ROT... don't count on anything to be 100%... guns and chokes are not always marked... call the manufacturer...

Regards all
Jay

·
Sky Buster
4,171 Posts
ROT... don't count on anything to be 100%... guns and chokes are not always marked... call the manufacturer...

Regards all
Jay
If it's a fixed or choke tube barrel. Nothing tighter the modified choke.
If it's a demasces barrel, do not shoot steel shot.

·
5,388 Posts
So... respectfully, you can shoot some steel through fixed or tubed guns with a tighter full choke... but not all and that is why you call.

Browning indicated their Japanese guns with a fixed choke are OK for use with steel shot... even a full. Their Invector Plus IM is considered full with steel...

I shoot a fixed full 90T and have had that inspected without issues. Target steel is not hunting steel and the dynamics can be different...

Call the manufacturer...
Jay

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
Any modern powder shotgun with fixed chokes should be able to handle Steel Shot. Steel shot does not work the same as lead shot. You need to open up the chokes 2 notches for steel shot!!!! So a Fixed barreled Modified lead choked will become a Full Choke for steel shot, and a skeet lead choke will become a Modified steel choke, a IC lead choke will become a Improved Modified choke for steel. Never use a fixed Improved Modified barrel for lead or a fixed full choke for lead, as you can damage the end of the barrel at the choke with STEEL SHOT!!!!!!!!!

Removeable chokes work the same way----- BUT----- These chokes need to be checked to see if they say lead only anywhere on the tube itself??? Does the choke say its OK for Steel Shot??? Some removeable chokes work for both lead and steel, while others are marked lead only and steel only.

Again Always Confirm with the firearms manufacturer before shooting steel shot in the gun, no matter what kind of chokes you have!!!! break em all. Jeff

·
5,388 Posts
With respect, the old rules about opening two chokes to compensate for steel might still apply to larger size hunting steel loads, however in our Club's extensive experience; shooting smaller, slower target steel loads pattern differently.

Having shot millions of steel rounds over the past 15 years, some guns appear to perform better with "real" Full and Improved Modified chokes...

Now, I'm not making any across-the-board representations, but my insight and that of my fellow members come from our results at the patterning board and on the line.

Regards all,
Jay

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
12,103 Posts
Would like to see some pattern data of lead versus steel - with that being the only difference. Same gun, choke, shell speed...

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Adding to Joe's question, would like to see what barrel damage, if any, occurs with the 5 or so other non lead alternatives.
Pure steel isn't the only option.

·
5,388 Posts
Joe... last night you missed the Turkey Shoot... shoot-offs tested out the new concrete to 30 yards... Kolar, Perazzi and Browning were the night's biggest winners...

Jay

·
5,388 Posts
There was at least one... close to the finish, but no Gobble at this wobble...

·
5,388 Posts
I make no assurances... my personal experience for over 10 years with my light 3/4oz load of 7s... hasn't done any damage to my Brownings or 90T.

I throw an equivalent volume equal to 1-1/8oz of lead... flying less than 1200 fps... having used Claybuster, Blue Duster, AA and WT12 wads...

For my handicap load of 7/8oz I use a BP PT1260 wad... using a 1-1/4oz bushing

Regards all
Jay

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
12,103 Posts
Ballistic Products has what you need which is wads and recipes. Go to the reloading forum on ts.com. I have a thread there on steel reloading.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts