Trapshooters Forum banner

What does your club do with spent wads?

2453 Views 17 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  iamtrapshooter
One club rakes them up and puts them in garbage bags for regular garbage pickup.

Another one leaves them in the field because the garbage company said no.

Does your club do anything different than mine?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Our club has a lot on the skeet field as its hard to get them up mixed with broken targets , the trap field i pick up with a mower that has a vac system . Last time I filled a good sized dumpster in an hour or 2 . About due to do it again , I am going to figure out the skeet field ,cant use the vacuun because the target chunks kill the impeller.

· Registered
2,399 Posts
We had a real character, gone but definitely not forgotten, Mr. Estel Wilson, Colonel USAF retired, who served all sorts of places and received medals for bravery during his service, who was stationed at Ramstein (spelling?) Air Base in Germany. He said that reloading supplies could not be found. So they picked up wads, washed them in base washing machines, loaded them again...and again...and again.
I am happy to say Mr. Wilson was added to our Ms. Hall Of Fame before his passing.

· Read Only
150 Posts
We had a real character, gone but definitely not forgotten, Mr. Estel Wilson, Colonel USAF retired, who served all sorts of places and received medals for bravery during his service, who was stationed at Ramstein (spelling?) Air Base in Germany. He said that reloading supplies could not be found. So they picked up wads, washed them in base washing machines, loaded them again...and again...and again.
I am happy to say Mr. Wilson was added to our Ms. Hall Of Fame before his passing.
We did did that in the mid 60’s and it was not an unusual practice with the destitute circle of trap shooters my father and I ran with. Remington Peters blue case, whatever the Remington wad was. Need to do a pattern test some day for grins.

· Registered
614 Posts
What a special gentleman.

· Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Recoilless
1,584 Posts
We had two members years back that used to pick them up aund use them in reloads. Other than that we would burn the weeds and wild grasses & scrub brush in front of the traps at the start of each spring so they went up in smoke along with that stuff. When we closed the club to move to a new location I bulldozed it all over with a huge pile of fill we had dumped on our land from a highway expansion project.

· Registered
12,998 Posts
Jim, When I was a young Buck Sgt. in the Air Force back in 1973, I was stationed at Chanute AFB ILL. as an instructor. I had a new Bride and things were tight money wise. She had become a shooter also and we had to pinch pinnies to make ends meet, pay the bills, and still manage to shoot some. We would go out to the Gun Club on off days when they weren't shooting and pick up all the old Herters triple seal wads laying on the ground. We would wash them and dry them in the sun. My wife and I both shot our first 25 straight with those used wads ! 🙂

· Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,816 Posts
A Elysburg last year we harvested one million pounds of shot. You can do the math on how many wads that means, but to my knowledge, in 50+ years of shooting up there, no consideration of what to do with the wads has been discussed. They just sort of go away, and are forgotten. Mostly, I guess, the mower chews 'em up.

6,495 Posts
For those that have been around awhile, you may recall, a good number of years back, there was an outfit that attempted to recycle hulls... they were providing bags... their whole recycle concept died a quick and uneventful death... recycling of hulls and wads has not gained any further traction since.

With the increase in pricing of components, oil, etc... maybe the industry might find we're getting closer to a point where recycling the plastic is becoming viable...

· Banned
1972 BT 99 Winchester SuperX model 1
212 Posts
One club rakes them up and puts them in garbage bags for regular garbage pickup.

Another one leaves them in the field because the garbage company said no.

Does your club do anything different than mine?
I dad talked about a guy back in the 70s that used to pick out the good ones then wash and dry them like laundry and reload them again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.