Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Thorn in your side
8,111 Posts
Gussers, I am shocked you did not include hotdogs in your list of must haves!
Decent food was included in illiniphil's original post. I didn't elaborate on that part. Hot Dogs are a HUGE plus though...for me anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,562 Posts
I'll be glad to speak with anyone about the promotion of trapshooting. I'm in the process of writing a promotions "primer" for any gun club that wishes to increase their membership or targets thrown. 618-980-0877.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
One of the things about trap shooting I've noticed is the need to schedule your shoots. If the shooter cannot easily find your info no one is going to show up.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Driving 3 hours one-way to a one-day 300-bird shoot is not likely for me. Even with $20 targets, counting shells, fees, gas, and eats, I'll be dropping over $200 and spending 6 hours driving...and ending the day hauling things back in the house, cleaning the guns, and being worn out from a long day.

And having a chance at winning a knife, a buckle, or some boxes of shells wouldn't make it more appealing. However, if there was a ton of added money, more shooters would be more tempted...but with $20 targets and so few shooters, the club couldn't afford the payouts (unless you could find sponsors with deep pockets).

·
Registered
23,444 Posts
One of the things about trap shooting I've noticed is the need to schedule your shoots. If the shooter cannot easily find your info no one is going to show up.

The better run/attended shoots get that way by sending an invite/program to all the active shooters that have attended a shoot there in the past. Then the promoters from other clubs with an upcoming shoot will spread the word and personally invite folks to come to their shoots and so on and so forth. New shooters don't just stumble blind into Trap shooting, they are nudged into it one way or another and if their first experience is a good one they will come back to a club even if they didn't shoot a great score that day. So it is a combination of clubs putting on good shoots that make shooters happy and shooters that travel ( many/most of us ) promoting our own clubs to the shooters we meet out on the Trapline. Most of the things mentioned in the above posts are 'right' but some of those things don't fit all the clubs while some of them are a MUST at all clubs. The added money might draw one or two, complicated purse options might draw one or two but a well organized and efficiently run shoot will draw returnees and they will spread the word. How many times have we heard/read complaints about some club or another? Well, those complaints are listened to. So are the props. Some of you may notice that if I attend a good shoot at a new place I will post a Thank You on here. I also tell my friends and acquaintances out on the Trapline.

Word of mouth will cause me to drive 3 hours. It will cause others to do the same. So to the person asking and all club managers reading this I say;

Put on a good shoot and treat your shooters well and they will build attendance for you.

That 30 dollar "Targets and Services" fee must be used to provide good shooter services like competent scorekeepers and well set targets then after shoot results posted in a timely manner helps draw folks back. Use your memory of how a shoot YOU attended that you really liked how it went off as an example of how to do it and adapt your own shoot to closely mimic it.

OK. Done rambling.

Don T. Golden Gun Club

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
That's for the input. Lots of good ideas.

1.I'm going to work to improve our website. I have the ability to do more and wish I could, but have to work within the confines of the main club website.
2.The 50 straight purse is something that we could do easily.
3.I am in favor of going up on the target price. What do you thinks of shoots that return some the entry fee to shooters in lieu of trophies? It was very common in North Carolina when I lived there.
4.We are going to make a paper program to mail for next year. Probably mail to targeted shooter(ie anyone in state that shot more than 500 targets.)

Driving 3 hours one-way to a one-day 300-bird shoot is not likely for me. Even with $20 targets, counting shells, fees, gas, and eats, I'll be dropping over $200 and spending 6 hours driving...and ending the day hauling things back in the house, cleaning the guns, and being worn out from a long day.

And having a chance at winning a knife, a buckle, or some boxes of shells wouldn't make it more appealing. However, if there was a ton of added money, more shooters would be more tempted...but with $20 targets and so few shooters, the club couldn't afford the payouts (unless you could find sponsors with deep pockets).
From what I've seen of the gun club business, you make minimal money throwing ATA registered targets. Too much labor and too slow. We make money throwing practice/causal sporting clays and corporate shoots. I love registered shooting, but from the "business" side of ATA and NSCA shooting is really more of a service your provide to your members.

·
Registered
23,444 Posts
From what I've seen of the gun club business, you make minimal money throwing ATA registered targets. Too much labor and too slow. We make money throwing practice/causal sporting clays and corporate shoots. I love registered shooting, but from the "business" side of ATA and NSCA shooting is really more of a service your provide to your members.
Doesn't work that way if you get a good turnout. 40 shooters at $29 per 100 x 3 events, after trophies and labor are paid, will make the club decent money. That was demonstrated at a recent event to a member of a gun club board who had the same thought. He came, he watched, he saw the CPA run the numbers immediately following the shoot, and his eyes were opened.

Targets in the air is money in the till. You can make more doing certain things but your question and explanation kind of set my alert to on. The above club board had the same bias, that ATA wasn't worth the club's time, and set the ATA side up to fail. The board didn't provide support, instead they threw/throw up obstacles. Damn near closed out the Trap/Shotgun side of the business altogether in favor of the rifle/pistol shooters. Long standing thing, dwindling numbers attending because of the way things were run and the attitude of management. That just might have turned around after the last shoot numbers got run but we'll see. The word of mouth about that club is still negative and it will take more than one good shoot to turn that part around. ( see previous post )

Don T

·
Registered
741 Posts
We host 1 shoot a year, the next closest club to us is 1 hr and they host 1 shoot a year, after that I drive anywhere from 3 to 6 hrs on weekends to shoot and average at least 10 registered shoots a year.

The good things is I come from a big family and have 4 brothers and 4 sisters spread out all over the country so I usually have a place to stay that's within 1/2 of my shooting, really helps keep the costs down as I rarely need to book hotels 😊

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Even something as simple as adding $5.00 to your target price so there can be a prize for each class shooter. 9 entries in C class wins $45 and so on for each class for each event. Helps cover costs of gas to get there. And definitely Lewis and Purse options. Our tiny one trap club yesterday paid out almost $350 in prize money because people know they can make money and it doesnt really cost the club any extra.
Almost a 6 year old thread.

Instead of advice maybe the question should be what did they do to increase the number of shooters?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.