Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it take to get you to drive 2-3 hours to a ATA registered shoot? Our club is about 40 mins outside Lexington, KY. We hold registered shoots monthly. Normal program is 100 doubles-100 singles-100 handicap. Sometimes we shoot back to back on Saturday and Sunday. Targets are $20 per hundred, no trophies, no money back. Average attendance is 20 local shooters(about half sub juniors/4h shooters) for singles, maybe 1 squad of doubles, 5-10 handicap shooters. We throw good , legal targets on six traps, and the best shooters break very good scores at our club.

The regular monthy shoots are becoming boring. At least once a year, we would like to have a bigger shoot, hopefully with as many as 50 shooters. To get this number, we are going to have to draw shooters from futher away. What would it take to get you to go that far to shoot? Ideas that we have discussed

1)Added money for one event. For example, $1000 dollars added money in one handicap event, divided by place, yardage group, etc
2.)A series of shoots that accumulate towards a finale. For example, there is a successful sporting clays circuit operating in the area that awards raffle tickets for entry and wins. At the end of the year and conclusion of the series of shoots(normally five to seven), a ticket is drawn and the grand prize winner gets a Zoli Sporting Gun.
3.) Uniqure Program ex. 1000 target doubles marathon, 500 handicap, or 500 singles with unique awards
4.) Standard Progam with nice trophies

I would appreciate your constructive thoughts.

·
L'Étoile du Nord
497 Posts
Trapshooters like food. Try a whole roast hog with corn on the cob and beer. If you're not offering trophies or money, you have to offer something or it is just expensive practice.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Well, this week it is a trip to the Cardinal Center. It will be about 3 1/2 hours and a little over 220 miles each way.
I plan to go Thursday because the program is handicap, singles, and handicap.
One reason I'm going is I've never been there. The other reason is that it is the only chance I have
to shoot ATA and handicap before the Pa. state shoot. And this will be the first ATA targets
I will shoot with the Kolar I recently picked up. I figure those reasons make it
worth the trip.
Bud

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much money? I don't disagree about trophies or money, but when we talk about raising prices we get squeals. It's funny though we have fairly large sporting clays shoots, 40-50 shooters, $65 dollars a hundred with $10 back to class.

·
Vendor
19,954 Posts
You failed to mention your efforts at promotion adn marketing. A "listing" is not the same thing. Contact Barry Roach for some ideas.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree. That is something we have not done well with. Other activities are promoted through our web site or online presence(including on trapshooters.com)which works well for most of our activities, but has not worked for trap. What would you suggest? Mailing? Ad in magazine? State Shoot Programs?

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
What does it take to get you to drive 2-3 hours to a ATA registered shoot? Our club is about 40 mins outside Lexington, KY. We hold registered shoots monthly. Normal program is 100 doubles-100 singles-100 handicap. Sometimes we shoot back to back on Saturday and Sunday. Targets are $20 per hundred, no trophies, no money back. Average attendance is 20 local shooters(about half sub juniors/4h shooters) for singles, maybe 1 squad of doubles, 5-10 handicap shooters. We throw good , legal targets on six traps, and the best shooters break very good scores at our club.

The regular monthy shoots are becoming boring. At least once a year, we would like to have a bigger shoot, hopefully with as many as 50 shooters. To get this number, we are going to have to draw shooters from futher away. What would it take to get you to go that far to shoot? Ideas that we have discussed

1)Added money for one event. For example, $1000 dollars added money in one handicap event, divided by place, yardage group, etc
2.)A series of shoots that accumulate towards a finale. For example, there is a successful sporting clays circuit operating in the area that awards raffle tickets for entry and wins. At the end of the year and conclusion of the series of shoots(normally five to seven), a ticket is drawn and the grand prize winner gets a Zoli Sporting Gun.
3.) Uniqure Program ex. 1000 target doubles marathon, 500 handicap, or 500 singles with unique awards
4.) Standard Progam with nice trophies

I would appreciate your constructive thoughts.

You could start with the name and location of the club.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
In order to get me to drive that far to shoot, it has to be somewhere I really enjoy shooting at or have possibly never been before and want to check it out, or somewhere that is throwing a bunch of something I need. A club throwing a handicap marathon usually gets my attention as always seem to be short on targets and shooting penalty yardage at our state grounds. One thing you don't mention is if you are competing against any other clubs in your region and if you are doing anything to promote your club. Why would I want to drive that far to shoot at your club? You need to get me interested to check your place out somehow. Having 6 fields gives you a ton of flexibility too. Your singles/doubles marathons could be taking place at the same time on different 2 trap banks. Your handicap marathons could have short, medium and long yardages on different 2 trap banks all day long. Just show up, sign up and you're out on the next flight. I hate waiting all day to shoot an event. Added money is a great idea but you may get burned with a low shoot attendance. Just because you offer some kind of guaranteed purse does not guarantee shooters will show so don't get stuck handing out $1000 in guaranteed money to 12 shooters because of bad weather that day. All your shoot ideas are good ones but just be careful as I said as low shoot attendance can really mess up your bottom line if you have laid out substantial $$$ for awards and purses. Most seasoned shooters could care less about a trophy. People will come to your club it they like shooting there and if they shoot good scores there and if they are made to feel welcome there. Welcome them when they come in and thank them for coming when the leave, feed them cheap. They'll be back.

Jeff

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good targets don't seem to working. We have 100s in singles nearly every shoot, multiple 100s in doubles every year, several 99s in handicap.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
A little too far for me to drive or fly just for a weekend shoot. But I got some suggestions.

I suggest you find a time slot locally when no one is having a registered shoot or a "big shoot". Offer added money for the Handicap event split between the yardage groups. Have some of the options; Lewis for sure, Top scores pay out dependent on the number of shooters playing, Yardage groups.

Have any one that you want to memorialize? Lunch included is always appreciated even if it is just hot dogs. But then I like hot dogs.

Even for Singles and Doubles may be just the Lewis option.

Raise the price per 100 so the club breaks even at first based on existing shooters.

Develop an e-mail and mailing address listing.
Ask surrounding clubs if you can post a poster on their bulletin board.

Jason

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Look at your own calender of events. http://bgslinc.com/calendar/ Not a single trap event is shown for the month of May, June or July. I didn't bother to look further as I saw your problem. You are not organized. If you want people to show up you need to get organized and start putting your events on the Clubs calender. The USPSA, muzzleloader, IDPA and rifle folks don't seem to have a problem. I mean how in the world are people supposed to know you have an event going on.

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Nearest ATA shoot is 70 miles from here (and it's a once a year deal)...and it's 110 and 120 miles to two other clubs. 2 deciding factors for me: can I afford it? & do I really want to do it? The answer has been maybe and no.

RB

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LadyT, I appreciate your comment, but you aren't totally correct on website. That is a brand new website as of last week. Due the the complicated(overly) organizational structure of BGSL we aren't allowed to have an independent website and it is taking us time to get our info uploaded by the big club.

We aren't struggling as a shotgun club, we routinely have 50-60 sporting shooters at our monthy NSCA shoots(in a state with only 200 NSCA members), are by far the largest(members and revenue) division in the club, and threw the most registered ATA targets of any club in KY(excluding state shoot) last year.

I'd like to rephrase my question.

What would it take for you to drive 2-3 hrs to a shoot that wasn't a state, zone, satellite grand type shoot? Just a regular clubs premier event of the year. Small club shooting is dying, is there anything we can do to save it? We have resources($$$ and equipment) how could we best use them to have at least one nice shoot a year.

·
Administrator
8,665 Posts
(LOL)! Not much as I live in MT. so the closest club out side of my home club is about 80 miles away and the next 125 so where I live it is pretty much the norm. to have to travel a couple of hrs. to reach a shoot.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We are blessed with riches here in the Commonwealth as there are no less than 10 clubs within a two drive. Dilution is part of the problem.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
One of the things that work at a couple of clubs around western Pa. is something they call the sponsor's purse. In the handicap event the option cost you $12.
There are 6 purses and $2 goes into each purse. You have to shoot a 25 straight on two traps. The purses are 1&2, 1&3, 1&4, 2&3, 2&4, and 3&4.
If you hit 1 or more of the purses you get half of the money in that purse. The other half stays in to start building the pot again.
If nobody hits that purse it builds up for their next shoot. A lot of the time 1 or more of the purses will have over $1000 in the pot so if you hit that purse
you go home with over $500 in your pocket. It makes more sense to play $12 for 6 chances to win and maybe hit a good chunk of money than to play
a $10 Lewis for a chance to win $40 if you're lucky. I talking about the Lewis at small shoots.

The biggest hurdle to starting a sponsor's purse is to round up 6 sponsors willing to kick in say $200 apiece to start the purse growing.
Bud

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.