Trapshooters Forum banner

What does a youth shooting director do at your club?

617 6
I have been an assistant coach of a youth team in my community for a few years. We have about 30-40 kids a year and practice at a friend's house. He has a 16 yard field and we practice every weekend from February through June as part of the Arkansas Youth Shooting Sports Program.
I have been asked if I would be interested in taking the youth shooting director position at a club where I am a member. I got the description of the job from the guy who currently holds the position but was curious what that position involves in other clubs around the country. Our main goal will be growing the sport by getting the word out that our club exists. We are the only trap club in an area with 500k people.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Is this a paid or volunteer position.

if it is a volunteer position, like most volunteer positions it will be what you decide to make it and my advice is not to let it interfere with your family life/job (from a former Scoutmaster who didn't realize it until after the fact)

What job description did he give you?

One of my clubs had a "youth" director, basically he enjoyed working with kids and was the guy who volunteered for it, he would run monthly saturday event, 22's in the morning for 2-3 hours and then shotgun in the afternoon as a way for members to expose their kids with others in a safe environment. It died out a few years back and no one has bothered to take it over.

the biggest thing I've seen with Scouts and my daughter's high school team is providing guns/ammo for the first time or two, for that initial experience for kids and parents to see guns aren't evil and can be quite enjoyable, I wouldn't hesitate to charge them the going rate but making it available is a big help and hurdle especially for non-shooting parents.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this a paid or volunteer position.

if it is a volunteer position, like most volunteer positions it will be what you decide to make it and my advice is not to let it interfere with your family life/job (from a former Scoutmaster who didn't realize it until after the fact)

What job description did he give you?

One of my clubs had a "youth" director, basically he enjoyed working with kids and was the guy who volunteered for it, he would run monthly saturday event, 22's in the morning for 2-3 hours and then shotgun in the afternoon as a way for members to expose their kids with others in a safe environment. It died out a few years back and no one has bothered to take it over.

the biggest thing I've seen with Scouts and my daughter's high school team is providing guns/ammo for the first time or two, for that initial experience for kids and parents to see guns aren't evil and can be quite enjoyable, I wouldn't hesitate to charge them the going rate but making it available is a big help and hurdle especially for non-shooting parents.

This is a volunteer position. The way it was described was to be an advocate at the board meetings for the youth shooters and greeting/helping new kids that show up for our AIM shoots. There are specific things that we know the club needs to change to be more inviting to all shooter and not just kids, and those things are in motion. I was just wondering what others may be doing that I might not have considered.

· Premium Member
882 Posts
Looks like AR is one of only a few states without the league, https://www.usaclaytarget.com/highschool/. Bummer...

I've found the AIM / ATA world extremely difficult to attract youth shooters. It's a unique world, usually requiring parent involvement for success - designating monies and vacations around trapshooting - a tough sell, haha. I'm not knocking the AIM / ATA world, only saying it's tough bringing a family with no shooting knowledge head first into a world of classifications, guns, options, shells, etc. It's a bit intimidating...

I'd recommend creating an environment like the league. They partner with schools and it's essentially a school sport. Parents sign kids up for school sports. 8 week, 1 night per week, 50 targets per night seasons, a very low threshold for initial involvement. Our 8 weeks consist of 2 practice weeks, 1 reserve week, and 5 competition weeks. We have an additional fun night for some games, very popular!

Give season end awards for average groups. You could potentially create teams as well if there are no other avenues outside your club. The league has some great presentations for school admirations / boards - promoting the sport as the fastest growing and safest in the nation - both accurate statements.

It sounds like you already have a great group of kids, so you're well on your way to success!!!

From the low threshold league format, it becomes easy to engage families to the next level - both in the AIM / ATA world and also club memberships. College scholarships are also intriguing to parents and they're rapidly expanding. My daughter was just offered $44,000 over 4 years to show up and shoot. Definitely not a thing back in my day...

Reach out anytime, always love to help!!!

Jed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.