Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've watched a bunch of YouTube from Hickok45. He is a serious proponent of Ballistol for all his firearms. He mentions that he thoroughly cleans all oil from his guns with alcohol (Ballistol is not an oil and doesn't mix well with standard gun oils). After the gun is clean he applies Ballistol heavy and lets it sit, then wipes it almost dry. He claims it is all he uses.

I purchased some and followed the advice for one of my handguns. After a couple of cleanings I haven't had a problem. The gun looks and feels clean - and there's no oily feeling.

I'm wondering, though, what shotgun users think of this product. Their advertising claims;
  • Perfect for lubricating and protecting firearms and just about anything else
  • Preserves and protects metal, wood, leather and plastics
  • Biodegradable; won't harm the environment
  • Slightly alkaline in nature; neutralizes the effect of sweat and skin oils

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently bought a can based on various online forum feedback (not from the manufacturer) claiming that it excellent for removing wad fouling. Cleaned shotgun with it a few times and have not found it to be any better or worse than other quality products. The front label of the can contains "eco-friendly" verbiage but the back of the can contains a breathing hazard warning that will likely prevent my continued use of the product.

·
Registered
909 Posts
It came with my Guerinis and I like it. Bought a coupe of large cans. Use it to clean the bore and lube the hinge.

·
Registered
624 Posts
It is my only CLP (Cleaner, Lube, Protectant). I has an amazing quality to penetrate bluing and make it VERY black. Like Hickok45 describes in his youtube videos, using it is like seasoning a cast iron skillet. Especially when you use it over time. I have made old Colt revolvers and Remington shotguns shine like new with it. This includes the wood and bluing. The longer you use it the easier the surface is to clean.

Balistol is not super aggressive... so with choke tubes I will use a solvent.

I use it differently on different guns:
Revolver: all Balistol

Semi auto pistol: Clean with Balistol
Lube rails and block with grease (Brian Eno's Slide Glide) Brian Enos - Competition Shooting Books, Slide-Glide, DVDs & Reloading
Oil the hard to reach spots with a pin oiler

Over under and semi auto shotguns:
Clean with Balistol
Lube with grease
Pin oiler

I buy the liquid from Midway USA and use it at full strength. They say you can cut it with water.

Ballistol Sportsman's Multi-Purpose Oil 16oz Liquid

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I bought an aerosol can of it to use for cleaning carbon off rifle brass,

used it once, then then next time it was clogged up and would not spray, have not been able to unclog that darn thing.

I have used the liquid in a regular bottle version, it seems fine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I too bought a can of Ballistol after watching Hickok45's youtube videos but quickly come to regret it. It does not work any better or worse than other CLPs I've used but it certainly is the most foul smelling one.

I've since switched to G96 instead.

BTW you shouldn't be using too much CLP for cleaning shotguns. For cleaning your smooth bore barrel, simply wrap some 0000 steelwool around your bore brush and ram it through the barrel with a cleaning rod. It'll get everything out without any need for chemicals. Just put a layer of oil after you're done if your barrel isn't chrome lined.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good stuff corrosive on ammunition. I have used it for years on every gun I own with no problems . Very old product that dates back to WWII and before.

·
Premium Member
12,908 Posts
It is a called 'water displacing compound' (think WD-40).

It was made in Germany before WWI. It doesn't really 'displace' water, but emulsifies it (think MAYO - mixing oil and water).

It has one drawback as was described to me by a gunsmith in Switzerland (or Germany??). By emulsifying the water it lifts it off the underlying (metal) surface, but given enough time it will let the water settle back onto the metal - NOT a good thing. (do an experiment - take a bottle of salad dressing - shake it really well, then let it sit - after a short period the water and oil separate. The same will happen with Ballistol - it just takes a lot longer...)

It is not a replacement for cleaning the metal surface and then protecting it with oil.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I guess we all have our favorites when it comes to taking care of our guns, don't we? Most of us long time shooters have tried just about everything new on the market at one time or another before we finally settle on what we feel works best for us. I hunted ducks and geese for decades, mostly in the San Pablo/San Francisco bays, and Tule Lake/Klamath basin. An old time waterfowler turned me on to Breakfree CLP to keep my shotguns from rusting, and to keep them operating smoothly even with some fine bay mud that sometimes found its way into the action of my old Model 12 on some really rough water days. It worked better than any lubricant I have ever tried, and I tried them all. I clean my Perazzi receiver and trigger with mineral spirits, blow them dry, and spray them with a generous coat of Breakfree. Let it set for a few hours, and blow off the excess with the air hose. For the rest of the gun, I use Scotts Liquid Gold furniture polish on the barrels, wood, and the outside of the receiver. I use STOS, in a syringe, for the hinge pins, etc. I have treated my guns this way for years and the still look as good as they did when I bought them. Best of all, they smell great.....

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I use Ballistol a lot, have used it for years. Does it smell? Yes, but so do I after Indian/Chinese/Mexican– well most food. I use it to clean off surfaces when my hands are likely to get oil on them. Not for a lubricant. I like that is is not made with carcinogens.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts