Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Voice releases, better ammunition, higher proliferation of tuned guns (barrels, triggers), higher proliferation of recoil reduction systems and better recoil pads, a better understanding of stock fit, gun setup, ect, and the MUCH higher proliferation of custom and custom fit stocks (adjustable comb, pad, ect) which is likely the single largest reason for better scores across the clay target sports.

Back in the 60s and 70s, most shooters purchased an off-the-rack gun, hoped the choke and POI were OK, twisted and turned their body into it when they mounted the gun, and lived with the recoil. Now a days, you make the gun fit you, and make it EXACTLY what you want, not just take what you can get like it used to be.

Same thing has happened at skeet, and we have not had a shell velocity change, target speed or angle change, or format change since the 50s. The first 400x400 was shot in the mid 60s, and was a rarity, as was a 100x100 in the .410. Now its not uncommon to see 5 or 6 100x100 in the 410 at major shoots, and 6-10 400x400s shot per year on average. Nothing in our game has changed except for the things I mentioned in the first paragraph.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
What Skeet man said. He pegged it exactly. Up here in MT, we get three hole targets a lot. Machines out of adjustment. It just takes more gun movement. They are not impossible targets.

Rick in MT

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more thing to add is gun weight.

Back in the 60s and 70s, the average gun weight for a skeet gun was 6.5-7lb. Now its a lot closer to 9.5 to 10lb, with some top shooter using guns that are 11lb or more.

Figure the average bone stock trap gun of the 60s or 70s was probably 7.5-8lb, and is probably pushing about the same 9.5-10lb that skeet guns now are.

Gun weight soaks up recoil, and creates a more controllable gun (even though there is a tipping point where a gun will become too heavy, but thats dependent on the shooter).

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Anglers catch more fish now per angler hour spent at their sport. Why the increase in success? Better gear is a really good reason, but also better understanding of application of the gear and a more easily accessible knowledge base to make people a better fisherman faster.

As we learn more, we become more proficient. Pretty simple.

Chip

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Number of targets shot.

Consistency in target presentation.

Better actual targets for us to break.

Knowledge base of the game.

Voice controls.

Everything "skeet man" stated.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
It took eons to break the sub 4min mile, training, equipment, understanding the human body has made it commonplace today.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The proliferation of shooting clinics by the top shooters has enabled "us" to learn what it took "them" decades to learn.

·
Administrator
8,524 Posts
I agree with what Skeetman and Rick have to say on this,but let us also look at it from a couple of other perspectives.In the past say 10 to 15 years there is a lot more information available for shooters including clinics,video instruction,more access to information that will help someone get dialed into the sport faster.I have seen the same thing in the music industry.THere is more access to quality instruction so to learn to play an instrument say the guitar has become easier and more efficient today than say 15-20 years ago.I have spent the last 30 years involved in teaching music and the advancements in the instruction field are amazing.Just like we are communicating on this forum right now.So combine better equipment,and that equipment being more specialized along with more access to instruction/information on how to hit more targets and get on track faster has created much higher scores and people reaching goals quicker.Shoot Well George

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very good points posted. Great shooters at the trap sharing know how from toes to ink balls in the sky.Thank you Larry Sowers there is alot in the middle of those two,and 6 to 8 inch misses distance between the ears!!

Coaching clinics:It takes 5 years to learn how to shoot

5 years to practice, and then 5 more years to become a top shooter

Thank YOU Kay Ohye

So much know how information;Books,Tapes,DVDs,ect.ect.

One eye shooter ; You go to the best Nora Martin Ross Thank YOU also

Finding what works for your self.May never join the records of this post.But truly believe that this average shooter is not just a participant but a competitor. Large shoots my scores beat the record setters on occasion. Its the Indian not the arrow MARTY

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Some of what is related above but mostly "EASIER TARGET PRESENTATIONS" and more consistent pulling. No matter what the angle of presentation the expanding use of Pat Traps give less maximum angle targets than the old hand set Winchester trap machines. The old gear driven machines paused at the extreme angle before changing direction. That pause meant more angle targets. The new hydraulic driven machines change direction with no pause. Neal Crausbay can offer more info on the subject as he has studied them while repairing them.

You are wrong to think people like Dan Orlich, Larry Gravestock, Brit Robinson, Ray Stafford, Gene Sears and, many others from years past, shot "off the shelf guns". They modified them for their style of shooting. Ray Stafford built and shot the first un-gun I ever heard of. Somewhere around 1973 when I lived in Denver. It was made from an old Browning Superposed. Last I knew he still had it. Ray may shoot the most modified guns out there but, by appearance, seem normal. Leo might be the exception. I never saw Leo change much of anything on any of his guns and I shot with him a lot over the years. Leo was a dear friend and his passing was like loosing a member of my family. Martin knows what I'm saying.

Jimmy Borum

·
Registered
218 Posts
I totally agree with what trapshooteraa27aa stated as this subject has been beaten into the ground, enough is enough!

Roger Smith

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Same reason all of the other records in sports, keep getting broken.

·
Registered
589 Posts
While I agree with trapshooteraa27aa and red dot 1 , This is the first time Gary has asked a question instead of giving us his opinion.

What I noticed 1st is the fact that fully a 3rd of the first 44 we're completed with doubles, not handicap. This tells me there is another thing changed besides shell speed and target speed.

To me the biggest change has been the trend to 100 per trap singles and 50 per trap doubles. Trap used to to be shot 25 per trap on singles and 30/20/30/20 doubles. You also shot a-lot more random trap assignments. No pick and choose and shoot the same traps all day.

This plus everything skeetman said just about covers it. Shell speed and target setting are a small part of it.

Ken

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Brad,

This summer at the Zone in Anaconda, where they only have 4 pats, the Western were by far, narrower than the pats, given the same distance. Not sure why, but I did notice that out of the 4 westerns none were the "same"

Rick in MT

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
It is amazing. Especially in earlier times, when turning down numerous targets per round for dozens of reasons was commonplace. Now, with voice release and Pat Traps, you'd better walk up there shootin'. That has to have had some effect.

Bob Falfa

1 - 20 of 34 Posts