Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PFS stock and I agree they do tame recoil but I've never liked the movement when they compress under recoil. What I am doing now is adding weight to my wood stock and I like it best. Currently I've got a 16 oz lead weight in the stock which brings my 31-1/2" MX2000 O/U to almost 10-1/2 pounds. I can handle 1.125 oz 1145 fps loads with this setup, but 1.125 at 1200 fps is too much recoil for me. I've tried 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads but feel that I score better with 1.125 oz loads.

What loads do you shoot and what do you do to tame recoil?

·
Premium Member
12,003 Posts
Physics is your enemy here.

The heavier and faster the payload the more recoil you are going to feel. You can 'slow down' the load - aim for about 1,000 fps, but a 1 1/8 ounce load is still going to hit you harder than a 7/8 load at the same speed. No way around that...

Kinetic energy = 1/2 M x V'squared' (1/2 M x V x V) where M = Mass, V = Velocity

From this the slower you make the load, the better by an order of two. Lighter loads help, but the best thing you can do to reduce recoil is to slow the sucker down.

Winchester 'Feather' loads chronograph UNDER 900 fps... (I forget if they are 24 or 26 gram loads)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Going to a release increased my sensation of recoil. I hold a high right elbow and my right hand and arm take most of the recoil. Yours probably does too. For anyone who doubts this mount and hold your gun normally but keep your hand from touching it. Have someone pull the trigger for you. Unbelievable how much more recoil there is. At any rate, relaxing my finger equates to relaxing my hand and it feels like more recoil. Not a ton, but noticeable. I would try elevating your right elbow (right handed shooter) and rotate your hand position so the web of the thumb and trigger finger are closer to the top of the stock. This makes the right arm and shoulder move together with the recoil of the gun. I started doing this for high recoil rifles before I started shooting shotgun games and it naturally transferred over. Lifting the left elbow a bit as well will keep you from "arming" the gun, keep your head the stock and shoulders moving together. For me it keeps my head on the stock on left to right crossers.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have a PFS stock and I agree they do tame recoil but I've never liked the movement when they compress under recoil. What I am doing now is adding weight to my wood stock and I like it best. Currently I've got a 16 oz lead weight in the stock which brings my 31-1/2" MX2000 O/U to almost 10-1/2 pounds. I can handle 1.125 oz 1145 fps loads with this setup, but 1.125 at 1200 fps is too much recoil for me. I've tried 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads but feel that I score better with 1.125 oz loads.

What loads do you shoot and what do you do to tame recoil?
Tractorboy
It appears that you are very sensitive to recoil
As stated from others, you are fighting against the laws of physics. You can spend a bunch of money on all the gimmicks to reduce FELT recoil, but the actual recoil is a product of the weight of your shot load and the speed of that shot load.
My 2 cents is to learn to shoot 1 ounce loads. They will smash birds from anywhere in the trap field. Unless you are a "top dog" trapshooter, the difference between 1 ounce loads and 1 1/8 ounce loads is not significant.

John

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Unless you are a "top dog" trapshooter, the difference between 1 ounce loads and 1 1/8 ounce loads is not significant.
Probably the difference is a lot more significant in any class below AA and increasingly so as you go towards D simply because those shooters aren't as consistent in centering their shots.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
You have a few options. 1 0z. loads will help a GREAT DEAL, but that is 1 oz. at 1200FPS or less. I have never missed a target that I felt 1 oz. loads cost me and unless you are shooting VERT LONG distance Handicap I don't thinks it makes a difference. Recoil reduction devices are plentiful these days. Lastly shooting a gas operated gun will tame recoil a great deal! A release trigger may help with a FLINCH but it does NOTHING to help reduce felt recoil!

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Years ago, as a high volume shooter, I was beginning to have shoulder issues. Hurt like hell to raise my right arm (I'm a right handed shooter).

Stopped shooting my O/U and went to a Beretta semi-auto (gas recoil system), 1 oz. loads and nothing faster than 1235 fps.

Today, shoulder issues virtually non-existent.

·
Banned
848 Posts
JS Air Cushion is the softest recoil reduction stock I have ever shot. It is not cheap but your face does not move while shot is executed. If I will decide to install any anti-recoil device, that would be it.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
Ever since I bought a gun with Countercoil in the stock, I've not found a reason to shoot anything without a recoil devise.
In my case, the devise's 1/2" movement is not noticeable.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Shoot an automatic. My Beretta 682 X Trap is heavier than my trap 1100 but there is a definite and very noticeable reduction in recoil with the auto versus the break open. I have an adjustable soft comb and adjustable pad on the Beretta and a Kickeez trap pad on the 1100. No comparison. You can even go further and put some weight and recoil reducer in the 1100 and it can be shot by a little kid.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Relaxing is the best advice or try a release trigger ?
Maybe I missed the answer, But how the hell does the release trigger reduce recoil...
The only way to eliminate recoil is to stop shooting. .....
Otherwise go to a auto gun. Your gun weighs 10 and a half pounds. Just shoot a 1 oz. load and get use to it. If your not hitting them stop your forever search for a different load.
By the way do you golf?

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Buy a Remington 1100 synthetic competition, almost no recoil (Barrel heavy, but about $1000). Then you could buy a Browning Recoiless, pretty much no recoil (slow trigger, but about $750). Then is you want to spend some bucks buy a Ljutic Spacegun ($3-5,000). With a 50cal firing pin being slammed forward by a gigantic spring, the forward motion equalizes the recoil, suggesting no recoil to speak of, per the designer. And I agree on all of these concepts, as I've owned them all. Other than that 1oz shells, and a recoil reducer, (G Squared, PFS, Counter Coil, Soft Touch, etc.), lots of choices to spend your money on.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts