Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dove season in California is coming up soon.
I have started a Sunday morning shoot to take the rust off. We will be practicing at KCGC .What are you doing?

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody got there shooting location . We have to fight with the Angalino's (Los Angeles people) for our territory

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I shoot on opening morning in a dry creek bed and there's simply no way to simulate what the "gray ghosts" do as they're traversing the channel on their way to food, water or the orchards where they spend the heat of the day. There won't be a reasonable facsimile of their flight until the day when a clay target can be made to change direction at near 90-degree angles or gain or lose 10 feet of elevation in the blink of an eye. God, I love those birds!

One thing's for sure: I'll miss my first shot on the opener. This will be my 41st season and I'm almost certain that's happened on every single opener since 1976.

Growing up in the Owens Valley, we had to deal with the SoCal crowd (whom we called "flatlanders" back then) every year. I'm far enough north to where I don't have to worry about that now, but we do have some Bay Area jokers around from time to time.

I hunt on a private membership deal – $140 allows access for all 15 days, plus all the fishing you want to do in a big pond full of bass and bluegill. We always have a great family fishing outing on that first Saturday.

The only thing I don't like about it is that creek bed is home to a substantial population of rattlers, so I have to leave my young Lab at home. Just can't take that chance, and even a snake-breaking session wouldn't help for a buzzworm that she doesn't see before it strikes.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Usually shoot trap before dove season opens on Sept 1 in KY.
Not much similarity but is all I got.
Use a 410 or 20 for the doves and I do miss my share but is lots of fun.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Unless you are on a Uruguay/Argentina hosted dove hunt you have to recall that dove come from many angles and don't usually give you time for a leisurely mount and shoot. For me - any game from Skeet to 5 Stand to Sporting in which high birds from a tower, to low/medium crossing shots taken, from low gun, acclimates for Texas Dove.

For me Trap is useless unless from low gun - but that is always better for Quail and Pheasant vs Dove.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless you are on a Uruguay/Argentina hosted dove hunt you have to recall that dove come from many angles and don't usually give you time for a leisurely mount and shoot. For me - any game from Skeet to 5 Stand to Sporting in which high birds from a tower, to low/medium crossing shots taken, from low gun, acclimates for Texas Dove.

For me Trap is useless unless from low gun - but that is always better for Quail and Pheasant vs Dove.
Put the trap on wobble you'll see it all over rarely the same through

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shoot on opening morning in a dry creek bed and there's simply no way to simulate what the "gray ghosts" do as they're traversing the channel on their way to food, water or the orchards where they spend the heat of the day. There won't be a reasonable facsimile of their flight until the day when a clay target can be made to change direction at near 90-degree angles or gain or lose 10 feet of elevation in the blink of an eye. God, I love those birds!

One thing's for sure: I'll miss my first shot on the opener. This will be my 41st season and I'm almost certain that's happened on every single opener since 1976.

Growing up in the Owens Valley, we had to deal with the SoCal crowd (whom we called "flatlanders" back then) every year. I'm far enough north to where I don't have to worry about that now, but we do have some Bay Area jokers around from time to time.

I hunt on a private membership deal – $140 allows access for all 15 days, plus all the fishing you want to do in a big pond full of bass and bluegill. We always have a great family fishing outing on that first Saturday.

The only thing I don't like about it is that creek bed is home to a substantial population of rattlers, so I have to leave my young Lab at home. Just can't take that chance, and even a snake-breaking session wouldn't help for a buzzworm that she doesn't see before it strikes.
Gotta agree on leaving lab home mine think they are something to play with.
20130606_121908-1.jpg
8014.jpeg

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
I bet one of the most ignored part of tuning up with a shotgun for hunting season is working on gun mount. Since I started shooting sporting clays from a "low gun" position many years ago, it is now just a normal part of my shooting routine, and quite frankly, I'm deadly with it in hunting situations.

Virtually all serious trap and skeet shooters (with the exception of Int. skeet) shoot nothing but "pre-mounted". This won't help you one bit once the birds start flying and the shooting starts.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bet one of the most ignored part of tuning up with a shotgun for hunting season is working on gun mount. Since I started shooting sporting clays from a "low gun" position many years ago, it is now just a normal part of my shooting routine, and quite frankly, I'm deadly with it in hunting situations.

Virtually all serious trap and skeet shooters (with the exception of Int. skeet) shoot nothing but "pre-mounted". This won't help you one bit once the birds start flying and the shooting starts.
I have hunted all my life and shoot Trap. I haven't found that to be a problem for me.
I. Call it instincts.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

Quick drill to improve/smooth your gun mount.....

Place a AA MiniMag lite in the muzzle of your UNLOADED 12 gauge shotgun. Start in a low position with the light beam in the corner where the wall meets the ceiling. Move the light along the wall/ceiling joint while mounting your gun, keeping the light beam on the joint. Do this ten times in each direction and after a few times, you will get a smoother mount.

BTW - A AAA MiniMag works in a 20 gauge.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Steve12

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick drill to improve/smooth your gun mount.....

Place a AA MiniMag lite in the muzzle of your UNLOADED 12 gauge shotgun. Start in a low position with the light beam in the corner where the wall meets the ceiling. Move the light along the wall/ceiling joint while mounting your gun, keeping the light beam on the joint. Do this ten times in each direction and after a few times, you will get a smoother mount.

BTW - A AAA MiniMag works in a 20 gauge.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Simply advice . Anybody can do this especially if the don't have time to get out and practice.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Skeet on windy days. Gusty helps with the birds flying eratically. Wobble and five stand might help. If somebody had a wobble thrower in their skeet houses would be very good, but I have never seen anywhere that has it.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Skeet on windy days. Gusty helps with the birds flying eratically. Wobble and five stand might help. If somebody had a wobble thrower in their skeet houses would be very good, but I have never seen anywhere that has it.
One of our trap machines throwers wobble. In my beginner trap leagues I include 50 wobble 16 and 21.
Most of the.beginning shooters do there best shooting on wobble.
KERN COUNTY GUN CLUB.

Steve

·
Registered
126 Posts
I put a dove decoy in the backyard 40 yards from my mounting spot. This helps gauge distance in the field. I then mount the gun ahead of the dove decoy as I would lead a live dove and practice not lifting my head. Before I mount, I move until my hand on the forearm is under the kill zone. When my forearm hand is under the kill zone, my feet are at the optimal position.

Although I do not use swing thru much, I swing thru the dove decoy and dry fire when the barrel blur passes the dove's head or after the barrel blur passes the dove's head. Before I did this, my swing was not straight. Practice keeping my upper torso stable and mounting while turning.

Of course, sometimes with dove you have to mount and pray. Is your average better on doves you see coming or on the ones that sneak up on you?

Been shooting pasture clays.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like to shoot a few round of sporting before hunting season come in, I like the ability to shoot different presentations with my field gun.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts