Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
<blockquote><I>"... you'd be surprised how many trap guns have barrels on them made by Mossberg."</i></blockquote>Yes, I probably would, and if they all have bores like the one on the 500 by my bed, those barrel wizards have job security forever...looks like the inside of a black corrugated drain pipe!

MK

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
<blockquote><I>"shotguns throw random dispersion there is no pattern"</i></blockquote>Don't tell that to the field artillery boys...

<blockquote>Dispersion Pattern

The distribution of a series of rounds fired from one weapon or a group of weapons under conditions as nearly identical as possible; the points of burst or impact being dispersed about a point called the mean point of impact.

Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.</blockquote>

Check a dictionary. "Random" IS one of the three recognized types of patterns, the other two being "clumped" and "uniform".

The term can also be applied to any distribution of like objects like trees, flowers, deer, holes in the ground, anything that someone wants to describe where these things occur in a given area.

MK

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
glenn mcleod, To pick one barrel out of one hundred barrels would require analyzing at least 1000 patterns. I think that story is nothing more than a tale of pacifying a customer.

Trap 2, time to fess up. Aren't you the one that finally admitted recently that the P gun barrels you had worked over by the magic man was a joke on you.

Andrew, I have been following these barrelsmith threads for years and the ratio is always,,,,, zero. Lots of bluster and pawing the ground, still zero.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
JerryP..... No, I don't remember ever saying that any barrel work I had done was a joke, but, I may have said something like that regarding choke tubes and porting. However, I'm also reconsidering my stand on ported guns due to the effectiveness of the Seitz barrels that came with porting.. I have owned several barrels that were done when I purchased the gun, and they all worked very well. I, personally, have had 4 barrel sets done for me, choked to my requirements. They were by Tom Wilkinson (2), and Briley (2). All were back bored and choked for the 27 yard line and for doubles. Both sets gave me much better patterns than the stock barrels ever did, by a wide margin. The Wilkinson barrels were the best of the two, in my guns. Both showed a major improvement in the outer 5" annular ring without sacrificing much in the inner 20" core. The cores remained hot enough to smoke just about any target it hit from the 27 yard line. That being said, however, my current Tom Sietz barrels are proving to be the best I've had, period. This is based on what I SEE when I break a target when shooting it. Trust me, Jerry, I know the difference between a HARD hit from a regular hit when shooting. It's all about confidence, you know what I mean? You are more than entitled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to mine. After all, I was once of the same opinion you are, but, after seeing the results myself, I admitted that I may be wrong and became a believer. I would hope that, after 30 plus years of shooting this game I can tell the differences in my hits from different yardages. A tuned barrel that smokes 27 yard targets is what I am after, and what I expect from a tuned barrel. I have spent more time at the pattern board over the years in attempts to discourage myself from sending off any barrel to be worked on than you can imagine, and probably more than you have. It didn't work out like I thought it would as I was also a nay sayer on the benefits of barrel work. A waste of money, right? Wrong!!! What I have learned from all this is that I don't care what Neil, Andrew, Twinbirds, or you, have to say about the subject, nor how you attempt to "graph" it out.. I know it works because I've seen the resulting patterns over the years that justify doing so, if you are a 27 yard competitive shooter. I'm completely convinced that the majority of factory barrels would benefit from having some sort of barrel work done to them to improve their patterns at your chosen yardage. Not ALL, some. I don't think there is any point in having your handicap barrel done until you reach the 27 yard line so you can match the barrel to your handicap shells, but, your doubles barrels are a totally different story. You can maximize your patterns instantly in doubles.... All my new barrels will go to Wilkinson if I'm going to invest the time and money to shoot that barrel in competition. It gives me confidence that I'm getting the best performance I can from that barrel.... Dan

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Thank you RickN, HA, HA, I think that is the thread in my memory. That may be the gun where he promised to do the before and after patterning that never materialized.

Edit,I just looked that whole thread, yep,thats the one.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
RickN and JerryP..... I stand corrected. I forgot, and I did make this statement, and I was wrong. I'm slowly, but, surely, getting things figured out. My bone stock MX3 Special has shown a definate improvement with the Sietz barrels, proving to me that there is more to it. I'm not beyond admitting I was wrong because I was. Some barrels will not show any improvement in having any barrel work done while others will. I "think" I am beginnning to be able to tell the difference between which ones will and which ones won't... Thanks for refreshing my memory, as short as it is at times.... Dan

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I've had or still have Seitz, Pro-port and Wilkenson barrels. They all shoot or did shoot very well, but I never patterned them before sending them off so I really don't know if I gained anything or not.

I do have a bone stock 870 TC that I would put on a pattern board with any barrel any of the "gurus" worked over.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Jerry..... Either one you want. Hopefully, tho, the born again Dan is getting smarter....lol..... Dan

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Rick... I totally agree about the 870. I have an 870TB left hand gun that is awesome. I wouldn't thinkof sending it off for work! It is probably from the late 60's, and everyone knows those 870 barrels, especiall the 870 comps, really had the barrels..... Dan

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.