Trapshooters Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
There is a reason 700X is not on my list, it's because Hodgdon does not recommend it for 7/8 oz, at least for Rem hulls. When you go to their online data guide and select Rem hull and 7/8 oz., 700X is not a powder available for selection. Where did you get your 7/8 oz. 700X data?

PS: Because this thread jumped the shark, I broke this discussion off into a new thread. See the '"covering the waterfront" thread.
Nebs,

Hodgdon_IMR_Winchester Load Data-2015. For Remington hulls they list 24gr, 1 oz, and 1 1/8 oz. Only reason they don't list 7/8 oz is because 700X is an old powder, and since they already had existing 24 oz data, they didn't feel it was necessary.

Don

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Nebs,

Hodgdon_IMR_Winchester Load Data-2015. For Remington hulls they list 24gr, 1 oz, and 1 1/8 oz. Only reason they don't list 7/8 oz is because 700X is an old powder, and since they already had existing 24 oz data, they didn't feel it was necessary.

Don
Dang Don!! 24 oz, I would love to shoot that load if I could stand the recoil, and my gun could stand the pressure. But it makes my head hurt just thinking about it. lol

Just kidding. I realize you’re talking about 24 gram loads. Yep, I can see were it would be unnecessary to give 7/8 ounce load data when that is actually only 24.8 grams, making 24 gram & 7/8 essentially the same.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
I see the point and acknowledge it. But 700X is just a bit too slow to give the performance I would look for in a 7/8 oz/24 gram load. It's a bit slower than the powders I mentioned and does not give the pressures I'm looking for. To each his own.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I gotta tell ya, I've had sort of an epiphany with this. I was always of the opinion one need at least 2 powders in order to cover the range between 7/8 oz.and 1 1/8 oz. Looking at the data for 7/8 oz and Clays has caused me to rethink this and I'm not so sure anymore. I'm beginning to believe one powder, and there are several that will fit the bill, will work, you just need 2 primers, the Win and the Fed. Use the Fed in the 7/8 oz. to bring the pressure up and the Win will do just fine in the other 2 shot charges. I have not looked at Alliant, but I believe Nitro 100, Clays, Titewad and IMR Red will work well in covering the waterfront in 12 ga. Excepting of course, over 1200 fps handicap-type 1 1 /8 oz. loads.

Thanks again for causing me to look more closely at the data. If you used the Fed primer, you could cut your powder charge and load speed (and recoil) and make your load more economical at the same time. If one were looking to simplify one's life, all you would need is a variety of Rem hulls (for color coding purposes) 1 powder, 2 primers (Win and Fed) and 3 wads to span the range from 7/8 to 1 1/8 oz. I'm sure I will have flame coming my way soon.
Brilliant Nebs! No flames from me.

How about (No real need for 1 oz load):
Remington STS hull for 7/8 oz for 16-22 yd practice loads with Fed 209A, Clays and WAA12L or CB0178-12 wad, 8 shot
" Nitro hull for 1-1/8 oz 23-27 yd " " " Win 209, " " WAA12 or CB8118-12 ", 7-1/2 shot

Just 2 loads: 1 powder, 2 hulls, 2 powders, 2 wads, 2 primers. Easy peasy!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Just shot a friend’s 7/8 oz loads and loved shooting it. I’ll be loading lots of these next week when I get all of my components!!

Actually I also shot a club member’s 410. It was like shooting a pea shooter. And I still broke clays with it. You have to be spot on the clay though. Still it was super fun. Anyone load 410s?

·
Registered
302 Posts
loading .410 is where the real savings are at, but it's a bit trickier to load. when the hull is that small you have to go a bit slower, to ensure the wad doesn't catch the edges, and the shot doesn't bridge, etc. totally do-able but just need to slow it down. the other issue is that the powder for .410 tends to be much finer which means your press will dribble small amounts all over the place.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A good AA or sts/nitro hull will load smoother and longer than any other. Although that is not to say that you can’t load cheaper hulls. If you find better hulls like aas or sts hulls at shoots pick them up. Before you know it 50 turns into 15,000 hulls and you don’t know what to do with them all. Hahaha

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I’ve now got 1000 STSs and 1000 Nitros and now rifling thru our clubs trash cans.... seems to be a slippery slope! Any cure for this?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I’ve now got 1000 STSs and 1000 Nitros and now rifling thru our clubs trash cans.... seems to be a slippery slope! Any cure for this?
No! Even if you have enough, you can't help picking them up. Definitely the true sign of addiction and/or the inability to see a good hull go to waste.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The addiction comes on slowly but hard to kick..can't pass up a good hull left behind. I do have several people I supply with hulls of their type on requests as I help set up and tare down pratice and lewis shoots I find all kinds of hulls..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Most Remington hulls have the same interior capacity and will safely endure 4-5 reloadings (any small tears in the crimp or sidewall area = throw away)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I load five gauges. On the shelves are 17 different powders, 20 plus different wads, eight different primers, lead, steel and bismuth shot with tens of thousands of empty hulls. Plus a Spolar with five heads, four MEC 9000H hydraulics which I can’t seem to part with for some reason and a couple 600Jr for old times sake.

But starting out your best option is to just pick Remington STS hulls. Two wads, one primer, two powders maximum. Perfect loading just one hull. Remington hulls last a gery long time, they are easy to find and cost very little if buying once fired hulls.

I say Remington instead of AA because I do not like the new AA hulls with a separate base wad. Plus I don’t think they last as long as the old AA compression formed hulls or even the current Remington STS hulls.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I hope you’re kidding about tumbling your hulls. I have been re-loading for over 40 years and I’ve never heard of such a thing has tumbling Shotgun hulls before reloading. You have received some very good information about the hulls and the only thing that I can add to it ,is the best hulls are the ones that you can get it for free.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I load five gauges. On the shelves are 17 different powders, 20 plus different wads, eight different primers, lead, steel and bismuth shot with tens of thousands of empty hulls. Plus a Spolar with five heads, four MEC 9000H hydraulics which I can’t seem to part with for some reason and a couple 600Jr for old times sake.

But starting out your best option is to just pick Remington STS hulls. Two wads, one primer, two powders maximum. Perfect loading just one hull. Remington hulls last a gery long time, they are easy to find and cost very little if buying once fired hulls.

I say Remington instead of AA because I do not like the new AA hulls with a separate base wad. Plus I don’t think they last as long as the old AA compression formed hulls or even the current Remington STS hulls.
Wow, that's extreme (in a good way). I find myself on the line before my turn to shoot looking at the spent hulls to see if there are any I want. I'm going thru our club's garbage bags of hulls, which I never thought I'd ever do, but I do now.

Also, yes, I'm kidding if I said I was cleaning my hulls. I don't even do that for my precision rifle reloading.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
Wow, that's extreme (in a good way). I find myself on the line before my turn to shoot looking at the spent hulls to see if there are any I want. I'm going thru our club's garbage bags of hulls, which I never thought I'd ever do, but I do now.

Also, yes, I'm kidding if I said I was cleaning my hulls. I don't even do that for my precision rifle reloading.
There is a term for this and 12 step process for redemption that doesn't work unless you give up shooting.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well Doc....Hullahaluic sounds to me like..I know I empty and look through the buckets at the end of pratice and monthly shoots. Supply a few other shooters with select hulls they are looking for at times. The relaxing aspect of reloading. ..organization of hulls and also finding good hulls has done wonders for my health through the years..leave work worries behind. ....

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Well, going into the Army and then having kids worked for me, but only temporarily. 35 years and then I was right back at it!

MUWAH-HA-HA! You've become a hull whore like the rest of us poor saps! :biglaugh: Best solution is to just keep cranking them out and shooting them up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
IMHO buy the Remington Gun Club, Rios, or go with the AA's , Federal or Remington premium hulls. I just finished shooting the 3,000 Rios I loaded two years ago. Bought them new. Reload the 0nce and pitched them. They loaded and shot fine, only adjustment I had to make, I had to use a Claybuster federal 1oz. wad for the height of the wad for a one ounce load. I'm back to AA's and had to adjust my press, MEC 650, to close the hole in the crimp. I believe Win.AA's are not what they once were. Just bought twa cases for the rebate, and only shoot in our ten club trap league. Not a big fan of Winchester any more and that's all I shot for thirty years. Another pet peeve is that Winchester boxes are really garbage. Cutting out the upc on each individual box destroyed them. THANKS FOR LISTENING TO MY RANT. I get cranky in my old age. I remember when you could buy quality.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts