Trapshooters Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Either start with the Rems (they all load the same) or the Win AA (needs care in selecting loads), but not both. In the Rem category, there is debate over whether the Nitro/STS are better than the Gun Club/Field and Clay. The former have all brass bases and the later either steel or brass-washed steel. I load both Rems (all types) and AAs and both load fine. I color code different loads using the various Rem types and the AAs all get commingled, color-wise (3 colors: red, dark gray and orange). My favorite is the AA. The shiny, slick, oily plastic seems to flow better through my reloader.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The Lyman Manual is a must read for a new shotshell reloader. It will cover all of the hulls, powders and primers, load data (some of which may be unreliable with updated powders). It is about $20 on eBay or local stores.

As you know, I use and recommend the Remington STS hulls. I get between 8-10 reloads out of each one. I buy commercial Remington STS shells at Walmart and save them for future reloading. I recommend having at least 800 hulls for reloading, so you can load up a bunch, fire them and use them again, if safe to do so. That way you always know how many times each hull has been fired.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Either start with the Rems (they all load the same) or the Win AA (needs care in selecting loads), but not both. In the Rem category, there is debate over whether the Nitro/STS are better than the Gun Club/Field and Clay. The former have all brass bases and the later either steel or brass-washed steel. I load both Rems (all types) and AAs and both load fine. I color code different loads using the various Rem types and the AAs all get commingled, color-wise (3 colors: red, dark gray and orange). My favorite is the AA. The shiny, slick, oily plastic seems to flow better through my reloader.
Nebs, I also like to color code my reloads..

I have 3 setups - Remmy, Win and Fed. I color code as:

AA orange - pheasant
top gun pink = chukar
top gun red* = duck
top gun blue* = goose
GC green = 16 yd trap - cheap lead
STS green = 16 yd trap and sporting clays - good lead
rem C&F = handicap trap - better lead, a bit higher velocity
AA grey = skeet
AA red = reserved for future application
Nitro gold = reserved for future application

* I seal these with wax and anticipate they are one and done due to water..

I know it sounds complicated but I reload mostly as a hobby and to create my specific hunting loads, and not to save the $$

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Here is my color coding:

STS-7/8 oz
C & F- 1.oz
Gold- 1 1/8 oz w/Titegroup
AA (all colors) 1 1/8 oz with either Promo or IMR Red.

·
Registered
643 Posts
...no need to tumble shotshells. It's totally unnecessary. Ditto most of the above. KISS is a good principle to live by when reloading. I love STS's and Nitro's, but reality is they're more difficult to find laying around for good reason. Gun Clubs load using the exact same data as the STS and Nitro shell, but around here anyway, they can be easily found on the ground or in club trash. I've used MEC loaders all my life, now using a Grabber, which I've had for a long, long time. It's reliable and cranks out more shells than I'm able to shoot. It's a fun hobby. Go for it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
...forgot to add that I load the same casing for each box, labeling the type of powder and amount (grains), amount of shot...1 1/8, 1, 7/8, etc, and the date loaded. I use my own abbreviations for the aforementioned, given I'm the only one who has to know what it says. I save the boxes for flats of shells; 10 boxes to a flat and on the outside of the flat place another label (Walmart office supplies), that indicates the month loaded and the load in each box. They're reusable. Simply place an new label over the old.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Great, I just read the Lyman manual, it was very helpful. Now at least I have some basics, even though I've been reloading center fire rounds for awhile.

I'll start with Remington STSs and work up a target load with 1 1/8th oz loads. I get my RCBS Grand next week so I'll order supplies now.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Great, I just read the Lyman manual, it was very helpful. Now at least I have some basics, even though I've been reloading center fire rounds for awhile.

I'll start with Remington STSs and work up a target load with 1 1/8th oz loads. I get my RCBS Grand next week so I'll order supplies now.
I suggest Win primers and a Hodgdon/Win/IMR/Western powder (because you will find more recipes using Win primers in a Rem hull than you will with Alliant powders). How fast do you want it to go?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I’m thinking target loads at 1150-1200 to start with.

Also, thanks, it makes sense to use different hulls for different loads.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Remington STS Hull
Winchester 209 Primers
1-1/8 oz, 7-1/2 (16-27 yards) or 8 Magnum Shot (16 yards).
Hogdon Clays 17.3-18.4 gn (1145-1200 fps, respectively)
WAA12 Wads

***Always confirm stated loads with published load data information from appropriate powder company or other recognized shotshell reloading load data book. Use at your own risk.

All components very easy to purchase at reasonable prices. Classic Trap Load.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Sounds good, I'll start with that!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
OK, I'm going to try shooting 7/8 oz loads and see how that goes:

7/8 oz #8 shot loads
Remington STS hulls
Clay Buster 0178-12 wads
Winchester 209 primers
Hodgdon Clays powder (about 18.5 gn)

How's that, any suggestions?

TIA

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Good suggestion, I’d like to try out some 1oz loads too!

I’m in Belmont, CA

·
Registered
436 Posts
You'll become a better shooter, and save a bit of cost reloading 7/8 oz loads. Save the 1-1/8 oz loads for competition. I used to shoot 1 oz loads all the time for skeet and sporting clays. It worked like a charm, but I see no major difference in performance from my gun between 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads. Between 7/8 oz and 1-1/8...yes...more smoke balls.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Awesome, I’m going to start with the 7/8 oz and go from there and see what it’s like shooting these.

Also, besides the Lyman reloading manual, where can I get up to date reloading component combinations? Is it from each manufacturer’s powder websites or is there a place that has multiple vendors?

·
Registered
436 Posts
You have the Lyman Manual, I believe. That is a good source, but some of the info is a bit dated. I think the very best source is each respective powder company:
hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun
alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx

There may be others, but these powder companies are the "big players" in shotshell reloading powders and have their own reloading data recipes that have been tested and deemed to be safe.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts