Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the club last night and the topic of what choke came up for what yardage. I told them that I have shot Mod from 16-23 most my life till the IM came out. I now shoot it almost exclusively unless cold or windy and bump it up to full.

·
Premium Member
11,719 Posts
Always a topic for discussion and debate. Opinions vary widely. And the so-called "club experts" always have "the answer."

I think most shooters who improve their game over time tend to gravitate towards tighter chokes than what they started with.

But I-MOD is a good choice, as long as you check to make sure it throws patterns that you'd expect from an I-MOD.

Further back (25-27), FULL is probably a better choice. But again, you don't know until you check to see what patterns it actually throws, and eyeballing a grease board doesn't cut it, in my opinion.

It helps to actually test with a program like Shotgun Insight to find the real pattern percentage.

Reactions: George MT.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I shoot 25yd Handi and my loads pattern best with my Full at that yardage than my I-Mod. Center is more consistent and fringes are more uniform. But when I drop below 25 yds, w/o question, in goes the I-Mod. I have a pattern plate in my backyard so I can pattern at my leisure. I shoot 5 patterns from a rest to eliminate all human error on sighting and executing proper trigger control and then do the math.

Reactions: JCS JR

·
Registered
433 Posts
SecondChance,
Assigned yardage + 5 thou.
16 yards + 5 = 21 thou. So I would use a 20 thou choke tube
23 yards + 5 = 28 thou. So I would use a 30 thou choke tube
Good Shooting
Gavin

·
Registered
356 Posts
SecondChance,
Assigned yardage + 5 thou.
16 yards + 5 = 21 thou. So I would use a 20 thou choke tube
23 yards + 5 = 28 thou. So I would use a 30 thou choke tube
Good Shooting
Gavin
That is almost spot on to what I use. I use 18 for 16's, 32 for 27 yard, and 28 for league HDCP (usually 23 or 24).

·
Administrator
8,516 Posts
I have to fixed choke single BL.'s both are choked .030 full. For me at the distance Im taking the target out of the house this works well for me for 16 yard and 27 yard caps. I do change shot type from 8s up front and 7.5 in the back.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was at the club last night and the topic of what choke came up for what yardage. I told them that I have shot Mod from 16-23 most my life till the IM came out. I now shoot it almost exclusively unless cold or windy and bump it up to full.
Imod is my favorite for 16-21, then move to F

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I think what we want to know is what Matthew Bartholow uses since he was #1 last year.
Shells he used or loads he used or likes.
Gun Model & all equipment he likes.
Thanks Matt and Good Shooting

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I would bet he uses what ever he has the most confidence in. Ours may vary.

Reactions: mikey357

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
I once asked an All American what he felt was the ideal choke constriction for 16 yard and handicap? He said .028 for 16 yard and I could use that same choke for 24 yard handicap which I was at. I also asked him what choke he uses from 27 yards and he said the tightest choke I can find.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have improved using a full. You will know when you start slipping. Grip ect..... I'm sure I give up some targets
Monty

1 - 20 of 70 Posts