Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a great Browning XS Skeet 28" gun this past weekend and wandered what your thoughts are on using it for trap. What choke tubes would you recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
If you're just going to shoot 16 yard trap, the Light Full is plenty. You can also get the job done with an Improved Mod or Mod. and 1 oz. loads.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
It will shoot flat or near flat as most skeet guns do. Mine is dead 50/50 on paper. What Claypoppy or Ed said. Light full or improved modified. My Carlson extended IM choke crushes targets. Was using a Modified and switched to the Ext IM and no looking back. If I go in any other direction it will be to full just beacaue it is fun to watch the targets smoke ball.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
I started shooting clay targets over 45 years ago, back when all shotguns had fixed choked barrels. The majority of Trap shooters were asking the same question back then.

The other big question is #8's or #7 1/2's???

The best advice I can give ya is you'll probably never need 7 1/2's (unless its really cold out) and a Mod. , a Improved Mod. or a full choke are the top three choices for Trap chokes. So just buy all 3 and get over it. I'd start with the one of the first two and pick one of them after shooting each for a min. of one month. You'll need the full once you move back enough, or if you like the long distance trap games (and you will). Good Luck on your Journey and break em all Jeff

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
If I were to go with a improved modified what brand should I get for my Browning XS Skeet?
There are many different manufacturers of choke tubes that can provide you with a quality choke. In no particular order... Briley, Pure Gold, Comp-n-Choke, Carlson's, Muller just to name a few. It's like picking a woman...there are plenty to choose from.

As far as which one's best, find something else to worry about. I assure you if you do your job, the choke will do the rest.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Heck .... every choke shoots a little different. Buy a bunch - different sizes/different brands. Lock the trap and blast targets. Find the choke that makes you smile and sell the rest.

·
Sky Buster
3,965 Posts
Heck .... every choke shoots a little different. Buy a bunch - different sizes/different brands. Lock the trap and blast targets. Find the choke that makes you smile and sell the rest.
Put in a Briley "full" and forget about the rest. As one of the best in the
world said, (Leo Harrison) "Use any choke you want, as long as it's full."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts