Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Fixed full is best choke for both results, and mind. IMO. After the first miss, the thought is usually, "I should have used a different choke." Then the next miss occurs because you are thinking, instead of concentrating, and it all goes downhill from there.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
I use Briley IM's for everything, any distance..screw'em in and forget it and just practice...if an IM can smoke them in protection shoots I dont think going tighter can make more smoke as long as I hit it in the first place

·
Registered
501 Posts
I use Briley Spectrum chokes in my Blaser. I am using an extra full in my Unsingle and will never take it out. Currently shooting a winter wobbles trap league. In my over and under barrels I am using a light full and an extra full. When registered season gets here and will be shooting doubles I will use an Improved cylinder for the first shot and either a light full or a full for the second shot.

Jim Bradbury

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Every gun is different, In my Infinity I use a LM, yes--LM--it vaporizes targets under 20 yds. In my Beretta I have to use a full to get the same results.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
348 Posts
For practice full so that I can see that I am centered and not having almost misses, in ATA improved modified. If I were a back line shooter I would be using Full back there. Art

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I shoot practice and handicap with a Briley Extended Extra Full Invector Plus. (In a Browning XT.) I use this choke because it patterns absolutely beautifully and, as has been said, tells me whether I am on the target or not.

I shoot competition singles with an Improved Modified of the same brand.

Martinpicker

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
I think we all can agree that to shoot 100 whether it is singles, handicap, or doubles. Mean perfectly pointed targets 100 of them. That means no matter what choke you use if it is a perfectly pointed shot the target will break.

Yet the Majority of AAA 27 AAA shooters use a full choke. I wonder why that is???????

Bob Lawless

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Never could grasp the concept of using one choke for practice and something different when it counts.

You practice for perfection then add varibles when meaningful.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Ivanhoe,

I disagree that you must point perfectly 100 times and that chokes do not matter.

You can be a little off and/or get lucky that one or 2 pellets on the fringe of the pattern hit the clay at the right point and you get a chip. Chokes do matter, in that you do not want to be unlucky and point perfectly but not have the clay break because of too open a pattern.

Phesantmaster,

You practice with a tight choke to hone your skill. You open up so that you get that fringe hit when shooting tournaments. When you get to the point that your practice scores are the same as tournament scores, you leave the tight choke in.

Jason

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Stick around pheasantmaster. You might learn all sorts of stuff. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
Ahhh, yes! That magical, highly sought after, "fringe hit."

Put the extra full (0.040) choke in and leave it in.

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
"You can be a little off"

Jason try to wrap your head around this, now think. If you are a little off you are not PERFECTLY pointing the shotgun, are you. That is if you know what perfect means.

Do you think that the Rays, Ks, and Leos and the rest of the AA are looking for "Fringe" breaks. If you do, I think you are wasting a big part of you learning curve.

Bob Lawless

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
Briley's in my Perazzi's.

0.018" singles because I shoot fast, and 0.028" for 27 yards, and I've been a 27 yarder since 1976, with one reduction that lasted a week.

Works for me and I love to hear the addage, "Choke for smoke!"

WW

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.