Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only thing that is consistent about my shooting..... Is inconsistency. Yesterday I went to my club and shot 4 rounds, (100 targets). That's about all I can do these days without getting too tired. (I've been shooting singles with a BT-99 Plus for the last 11,500 targets). And I like the gun. The first round I shot a pathetic 20. Then, me and a few guys moved over a few fields and I shot a pair of 23's.

Then on my last round I ran 25 straight. No rhyme or reason for any of it. I think what separates the AA shooters, who can run 25 straight at will, is their ability to concentrate, and keep their head out of their ass for 25 targets. And not let your skull start drifting after 10 targets, and start thinking about the new mini blind your wife wants you to hang in the kitchen. After you get home and clean your gun. Along with a bunch of other assorted, mentally incapacitating bull$h!t.

That's not easy to do. Then it's the fact that for the last round, the gun just felt good for some unknown reason. It swung well. And I wasn't out there swatting flies. It went where it needed to go. Doing it is one thing. Doing it CONSISTENTLY I'm finding is another matter.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
I feel your pain Bill T. As I have aged I find it difficult not think about everything in he world but trap shooting, while actually trap shooting. We all know that the target is broken with the eyes and brain. Something I have tried and seems to help is to warm up before the first box --- stretch, mover the arms and shoulders, do something to increase blood flow (wish the club had an aerodyne bike ) --- do to the practice trap and shoot a couple shots from each post --- mount the gun 25 times --- etc. ….. While shooting in all truth you only need to be focused in for a few seconds before the mount and during the shot. To do that I try to bring my gun up to just below mounted (Leo called that "port-arms" in his video) and for a second get my focus 100% on the task at hand --- has it helped me, Yes but I still miss a lot. I am old, eyes poor, joints stiff (chain saws and jack hammers will do that to you).

·
Registered
498 Posts
As my shooting coach tells me I'm mental midget. Last week I shot a 97 with the 28ga. and was ink balling targets. This week I couldn't get off station one. Had trouble even trying to get shells in the gun. I've been shooting long enough to know that my focus has to be right, but have yet to figure out how to turn that switch on and off.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Shoot more?

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,033 Posts
Shoot more?
Agreed. I'm trying to maintain between 800-1000 rounds a month but doing so with a purpose.

Friday saw 125, Saturday was 100 and Sunday was another 100.

I worked on fit/setup, exacting my mount and trusting it without feeling the need for bead checking (new to me gun). I'm also working to improve endurance in an effort to maintain focus.

I would shoot two boxes (trap only holds 50 targets) without stopping. Doesn't sound that bad but do it two or three times with just enough of a break to refill my trap. At the end of the third box is when it starts setting in and the fourth box is what I'm working to overcome because there's no doubt that it has a negative (maybe subconscious) effect on my concentration.

This is totally different than a 100 target event where you have a couple minutes between each box to relax those muscles. Set a flat on the ground beside you and go at it...totally different.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Practice with a purpose.

You need a solid pre shot routine that allows you to focus on your target.

If your mind is wandering you may want to change your "Key Phrase" to some thing that gets it back on task.

The better you practice the better you preform.

Its All Good

West

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,033 Posts
I could give you advice, but I'd be lying.
I struggle with focus myself.
The days when I am "in the zone" are such a joy.
Some of the best coaches may suck at the sport itself. Conversely, being good at something doesn't mean you can teach.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Money + time + practice = success. 90% of all misses are low and behind, it's been said. However, I know 90% of my misses are from aiming, looking for that perfect vector point, even though I'm a two eyed shooter, it slows me down & the wind kills it. It doesn't work....ever, of that I can assure you! So:....Shoot fast + never take your eyes off the target + keep your cheek firmly attached to comb during the whole shooting process from set up to follow through. Constancy will follow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts