Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need choke tubes for a Beretta 687 optima for trap shooting what band is best. been looking at muller, briley, and carlsons any infor. would be helpful thanks Rocky

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hello: The factory extended Optima Improved Modified works very well for trap singles. Briley and Muller are very good chokes. I would pattern what you have now and see what you think you need. I use a Muller U3 for my 7/8oz loads and a Briley extended Modified for the same load. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have been using the Brileys for years, and have sold them to other shooters who like them as well. I would pick them over the stock Beretta tubes any day. Their tolerances are much tighter. The one thing I don’t like about most tubes is that the choke lead in is far far larger than it needs to be. Often, 30 thousandths or more. They like to keep the choke lead in large enough to compensate for the varied gun bore, so that there in no chance the barrel ID is bigger than the choke lead in ID. It would blow out the tube.
If you have that much difference, you get a lot of plastic build up when the wad jumps the bore difference. But then I can sell my RGS to get it out.
No matter what chokes you buy, be sure to have your bore measured accurately to give them when ordering. If they tell you their tubes fit all of the Beretta barrels, RUN. That means loose tolerances. Briley will work with you on the exact dimensions you want.

Briley keeps a tight reign on this. My choke lead in is just 2 thousandths larger than the barrel ID so it is more like a tapered barrel for better patterns. Also, Caesar Guerinis are notorious for having their chokes fuse into the barrel. You better take them out & lube them very often, or you will be using a pipe wrench to get them out. When I got the Brileys for my wives gun, no more stuck tubes. On my Beretta, I don’t even put any oil or anti seize, and have never had a problem in 15 years. They loosen by hand, & spin right out with no wrench.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts