Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a baby on the way and I'm trying to find the best pair of earmuffs for children. I was just wondering if any one who shoots has a real opinion on this. I have seen lots of reviews online from people at concerts and monster truck rallies and etc. But I would like shooters opinions. Whats the best way to go?

·
Registered
20,313 Posts
Leave the baby at home. Or far enough away from the shooting to make muffs unnecessary. Taking a baby to a rock concert or even a monster truck rally verges on child abuse.

Reactions: Gussers and C3200

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no Intent of taking a baby to a shoot. But I would like to get some ideas on muffs so Im ready when he is up and fit to.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Peltor 105, by 3M.
Get the big ones.
They have smaller ones for kids.
Dont know the DB reduction on those but the 105 is very good.
Foam plugs and the big set combined is the best you can do, but as stated hard to get installed on your young observer.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Sound intensity drops quickly as you move away from the source (lookup Inverse Square Law for Sound if you are curious). If the child is not shooting, just get whatever the child will keep on.

·
Banned
1,526 Posts
I have taken my son who is now a little over 4 shooting since he was 2. He wears foam plugs and ear muffs.

He's actually into shooting, going to watch and hanging out with the guys.

Plus every time I shoot a 25 he gets a clay target that's unbroken from the field at the end of the day. He's up to pretty close to a case and a half this year.

I took this picture of him from the line while we were shooting.
image.jpeg

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
A friend of mine had custom molded ear plugs made for his kid. The kid was about 4 years old. Of course they're going to out grow them pretty quickly. I don't know how successful he was with keeping them in the kid's ears though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
While you are researching ear protection, Google "impulse noise" protection as that is what we firearms folks deal with. All your db rating info will be for "continuous noise" which is different. Once you decide on a type of ear protection, based on db, you need to know how many repetitions of what caliber are safe. After "X" amount of rounds for a given caliber, you may still incur hearing damage. See attachment below.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
I too say if you have to get ear protection for your small child then go with double protection!!!
Ear Muff's and ear plug's. If you have a problem finding plugs to fit his/her small ears then you can go to your local drug store and look at the ear plugs there. They should have a package that has moldable ear plug material in it. So you can make ear plugs to fit any size ear!!! Its re-use-able as well. There made for sleeping if I recall correctly, and may not have the highest NRR (noise reduction rating) . That's why I would recommend using both!!! Try to find the highest NRR that you find in both the muff's and ear plug's and use both. Best of Luck to you both!!! and break em all Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts