Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering shooting 20ga out of my BT-99 and wondering what my options are. I'm wondering if there is someone making barrels for them or if tubes is my best (and only) option. Ideally I'd like a dedicated barrel for it.

Mike

·
Registered
14,538 Posts
A subgauge tube would be your best (and by far cheapest) option. I'm sure Simmons (and possibly others) could build you a barrel (if you have a donor barrel to use the monoblock from), but I'm sure you won't like the price either (probably close to what you paid for the gun).

·
5,445 Posts
Kolar might fabricate a tube system for your single... "little skeeters" might work... there used be some short, quarter-half length tubes out there (can't recall the manufacturer)...

Jay

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
As Tech Writer Jeff asked why don't you want to shoot a 7\8oz 12 ga.load???? They would be much easier to keep yourself supplied with hulls and you will have more choices of powder, wads, etc. $$$$ wise I think you would be way ahead. Ross

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
What possible advantage or reason would you have in going to the expense of converting a BT 99 to shoot 20 gauge ammo?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I didn't think this all the way through. I just looked at the loading data for 7/8 20ga and I'd also have to stock a different powder.

I'll load 12ga 7/8 and be done with it.

Thanks for the common sense I was lacking.

Mike

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Skeet shooters routinely spend many thousands of dollars to shoot .410 (and other) shells out of a 12ga gun.

If they'd taken a common sense approach 80 years ago, they could simply have been shooting 12ga shells with 7/8, 3/4 and 1/2 ounce payloads.

I say "Go for it!"

Build a 20ga BT99!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.