Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to loading papers but going by federals website. Using a federal 209 primers a downrange 12S0 wad (one ounce load) with 18 grains of red dot. Have the smooth crimp starter on my mec 9000. My shells are looking very full and get marked by my loader as seen in the picture. Help me!

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
I believe you need to lower your crimp starter down and get that top really bent over. I think you have too much height going into the final crimp and that is buckling it on the down stroke. Your crease appears to be where the final crimp station bottoms out. If that makes it worse...raise the crimp starter instead. You probably wouldn't have this problem with older papers because they had more wraps. The new ones have fewer layers and are thinner. I have my machine kind of set at a happy medium to do both interchangeably. Have Fun!!

Jim

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Try a 12S-3 wad even tho you are loading 1 ounce.
Lowering the crimp starter will make it worse.
Papers should not be overfilled.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Getting a lot better if crimp by lowering the starter but I'm still getting a little bit of catch on the up stroke of the last two of the three crimping stations. The indents are no longer as near as deep. What could be causing the catching?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
It looks to full. Paper cases need about 1/2 inch above the shot to make a good crimp. If the 12so is to tall, try the 12s3.

I use a 12s4 for my 1-1/8 loads to have a good crimp.

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
It looks to full. Paper cases need about 1/2 inch above the shot to make a good crimp. If the 12so is to tall, try the 12s3.

I use a 12s4 for my 1-1/8 loads to have a good crimp.
Good info I can sure use. My loader(old Pacific 366) makes great reloads but I have struggled with papers. I started loading the paper hulls on my MEC 600jr. and while it's better, I always wondered about the wad and what part it was playing in the outcome of my paper reloads. I have at least some of all the wads you named. I am gonna have to experiment next time I fire the loader up. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
That crushing ring in the first pic may be caused by the collet resizer. I have a mec that does that. Now I use the older machine I have with the ring resizer, problem gone. That was easier than adjusting the other machine. Switch to the Claybuster 12SO wad also. I loveDownrange but their 1 oz. straight wall wad is a bit too tall & bulges the case a bit when using red dot or promo. See if that ring around the shell is visible after resizing. I went thru exactly what you are seeing. Colonel

·
Supporting Vendor
6,014 Posts
Good advice above.

Paper hulls cannot be over stuffed. Either change the wad or cut the shot charge back a little.

The end of the collet sizer on a MEC will mark the paper case. If you grind a radius on the inside edge of the collet opening it will help.

·
Premium Member
6,288 Posts
Your problems appear similar to what happens with a AAHS case when using a wad with too tall of a crush section. Use a wad with a shorter crush section, as suggested above, one designed to hold 1/8 more shot than you are dropping.

Also, because the case wall of the paper hulls are thick, they mimic a tapered wall hull in that you can use AA -style clone wads in them (not possible with plastic straight-walled hulls). You are not restricted to Federal-style wads. If you have some 1 1/8 oz AA-style wads on hand, try loading a few with them and see what happens.

·
Supporting Vendor
6,014 Posts
Also, because the case wall of the paper hulls are thick, they mimic a tapered wall hull in that you can use AA -style clone wads in them (not possible with plastic straight-walled hulls). You are not restricted to Federal-style wads. If you have some 1 1/8 oz AA-style wads on hand, try loading a few with them and see what happens.
The Federal paper hull might be a bit thicker than a Gold Medal plastic hull but they a still a straight wall case. Winchester AA wads should not be used.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I recently loaded some papers too and they seemed to load okay with the 12S3 and 19.5 grains of Promo but the do leave a hole in the middle of the crimp. I'm going to toss these after one shot, the plastic GM hulls load a lot better.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
This is a common problem when you first start reloading Federal papers. I have been reloading Federal papers for years on a Mec 9000H and have found that the best, most consistent reload with papers comes from using a Downrange XL-1 for one ounce, and a Downrange XL for 1 1/8oz. Yeah, I know a lot of you will say that the papers use a straight wall wad, but the Downrange tapered wads have totally eliminated the problem you are having. The same is true when using blue or green dusters, windjammers, or basically any tapered wad. For you doubters, just try a box using the exact same load you are now loading and change JUST the wad. Then come back on here and tell me it doesn't not only take care of the problem, it also shoots great.... Nuff said...

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Oskar... Yes, I use the smooth cone crimp starter exclusively when loading papers. I have the crimp starter lowered to the point it almost closes the top of the shell and it results in factory like crimps...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
New to loading papers but going by federals website. Using a federal 209 primers a downrange 12S0 wad (one ounce load) with 18 grains of red dot. Have the smooth crimp starter on my mec 9000. My shells are looking very full and get marked by my loader as seen in the picture. Help me!
looks like station 6 where it rounds the top of the shell is also set a little to deep.

jack mc

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I too ( like Dan) use Downrange with Fed papers. I shoot 1 1/4 oz game loads so I use the yellow 1 1/4 wads. Been doing this for a long long time and they shoot very well. People get too wrapped up in the straight wall thing. Just try it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts