Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been struggling with a target and cant figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm a left handed, one eyed shooter. When I'm shooting post 1 and 2 I really struggle with the target that would be a slight left from three. Hard lefts don't really give me issues, but this one gets me about 50% of the time. I borrowed a Shot Kam and tried it out this morning. I didnt get the camera mounted far enough forward so the barrel is in the video. I'm still having trouble seeing what I'm doing wrong. In the video, I was practicing from the 23 since I have to shoot the penalty yardage at the state shoot in a couple of weeks. I'm using Federal Top Guns 1 1/8 at 1145 FPS. Any feedback welcomed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It looks like you shot too soon by a split second. A little longer and your eye and brain might have synched to get you out in front of it. My friend coaches me and has to constantly remind me to lead through the target

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Here's where you are when you are firing...you can just make out the target on the right crosshair leg just above it. Honestly I was surprised it didn't break.

Cross hairs are the center of your pattern on the patterning board at 30 yards?

Pattern is where you're looking on the patterning board?

upload_2020-6-5_14-8-26.png

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Have someone stand beyond you and film I think that would help more.

·
Registered
76 Posts
8" low and needs 6" more lead. Stopping the video at the right intervals shows were you pulled the trigger. Almost looks correct at regular speed because of muzzle jump.
i saw the same thing when I tried to pause it at different points and also saw the muzzle jump make it look on target

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NO one can tell you what your problem is when it is at full speed like you posted.

Put it up at slow mo and maybe someone can see what is going on.
Thank you, I'm still trying to figure out how to use the thing.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,245 Posts
05984EE9-DA19-4044-A32C-B5CA5AF3DBC3.jpeg

Orange added so you can see better. Circled early wad and shot string.

If you look at the screen shot above by hbar and this one (2 frames after the shot), you can see you
1) swung past the target slightly but not significantly
2) stopped your gun then jerked slightly on shooting (or just the muzzle rise kicked you up and left). You stalled just enough to shoot right at the back of the target by the time the shot got there
3) You shot under it either way.

Try shooting the top left quadrant of the target and really focused on sustained follow through on those quarters. It’s easy to short shoot/peak at those. I struggled for a long time with those on mid yardage caps.

edit: also note the exaggerated follow through up and left after the shot. I imagine your subconscious knew you weren’t on it and you “Forearm flinched” to try to make a last second stab to point the target, albeit just a little too late.

Good luck and break em all!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Before any real diagnosis can be made, I think we need to know what the cross hair represents, is the center of the cross the top of your front bead? If so, what is POI of the shotgun?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The tip of the bead is where I set the cross hair, and I shoot a fairly flat shooting gun. Probably 70/30. I just set the rib and comb by shooting targets and making adjustments. I followed Phil's method in his video. I didn't pattern it after. I have only been shooting the gun about a month and have about 1400 shells through it.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Sometimes lefties on post 1 and righties on post 5 adjust their hold points and look points too far outside the trap house so the hard lefts and hard right won’t get away from them. If you overdo it, the straights or slight angles from post 1 ( left hand shooters) or straights and slight angles on post 5 ( righties) can bite you because you have over compensated for the hard angles. Im not saying this is you, but I see it often.
John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts