Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Son has been shooting for 3 years now. Started with a Red Ryder and now he practices with a Beman. Shot several birds and squirrels in the field over the years. At 6 he started shooting a 22 handgun. I cut the stock off a 22 rifle and he can pick off an acorn sitting on a 45 shell at 25 yards. Last fall he bagged his first deer (doe) with a 243. He will turn 8 at the end of April.

Age has nothing to do with it. The child has to be ready and most important be able to handle a firearm.

On all of his guns I have wood stocks and just cut the end of the stock off. As he grows I can cut another section off what already has been cut off and screw it onto the gun so it will still fit him as he grows. I don't care what it looks like as long as it fits and he doesn't try to shoot an adult size gun at 48 inches tall.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
My first rifle? Almost as soon as dad new he had a son. First hunt? Heck my dad more often than not had the whole family along, I had to be pretty close to birth. First time out with dad and a friend? My dad said house/potty trained, my mom says when my dad could understand my gibberish. Shot a 22at rabbits about 5 years old. Shot the long gun 30/30 at 6 or 7. That same long gun with it's 20ga barrel at 9 or 10. Stumping through the desert with the 30/30at about this time. First dear at 12 had to pass hunter safety, because of my December birthday my dad somehow pulled strings to get me in early actually passed a year earlier than I should have. But no luck that first hunt. Built up the sporterized 30 06 on a 1903 Springfield my dad the bolt bending and I polished the steel. I inletted the custom stock and and did the wood it was the gun on my first deer and javalina.
Graduated from a single barrel 12 ga to an 12 ga 870 at 11.

Followed this same routine with my kids. There is something about seeing a critter hit by a bullet that gets a kids attention. Before my kids saw a bullet hit a critter they wanted to hold a firearm all the time. After seeing a kill they stood back and let me teach them. My dad maintained that when they paid attention it was time to teach.
Didn't get a chance to teach my then 9 year old step grandson until he was 9. But if you need an RSO he is spot on! Only ten but he learned and started practicing not mimicking but doing it right.

Al

·
Premium Member
K-80 Trap Special
50 Posts
I started hunting on my own around 11 or 12, I think the biggest thing is just learning how to be safe and knowing what to do if something goes wrong and you need help.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My son started hunting at age 6. He was able to handle a 45cal smokepole with 50grs of powder. Killed two deer his first sit. As long as the child is safe and can handle the weapon take them hunting. Biggest mistake I have seen is waiting to long. At 12 they have found other hobbies and now trying to fit them in. My son started walking with me on short hunts at 3 one of my greatest memories was shooting a button bucks and him tearing across the field with a orange vest on (my size) yelling big bucks down. At 17 he just killed his first elk with the bow. He has taken antelope whitetail and elk so far. Hunt with your kids not for them!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I started my son ground squirrel/ prairie dog shooting at 9 years old. Moved on to ducks/geese at 11.

As for deer, I travel out of state. If good hunting were closer I would take him as soon as he is licensable.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Get them out in the field with you as soon as possible. If the hunt is to tough for them change the hunt. If they can’t sit still let them squirm if you don’t kill anything buy meat on the way home. I took my son with me everywhere. No matter the question he asks I tell him the truth ,I treat him like he’s a grown adult so far it’s worked perfectly
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
15 Posts
My son never connected with a deer until he was ten. His son was a good shot and cool as a cucumber, at 7. Each were in an enclosed deer box stand with an adult. Around 12-13 I let them hunt solo, but always within hearing.

it depends on your game, your land, your facilities, and most of all, your children. Don’t push them.

I remember taking my son squirrel hunting at about five years of age. He did cartwheels in the woods to show me what cheerleaders did at his school. Too young.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am new to the forum. I am sure this topic has been stated a number of times
but don’t know how to find the threads so I apologize. my son is seven years old
and begs me to take him hunting . I was twelve when I started hunting
in Kentucky with my dad. What age did you let your son/daughter hunt deer?
thank you
Hard for me to remember that fat back. Here in Southern Arizona with all the mountains my dad hunted with three friend from work. So I got to tag along when I was 10 maybe 11, I think I was to young to get a license back in the 60's. So I'm thinking when I turned 13 I got his 30/30 and my first deer. He taught me how to ark trails, look for Old or Fresh dropping, and of course the size of the hoof prints and which direction. Also about the wind and the sents.
I say if he is Begging you, he is not too young. Maybe to young to carry a gun, but not too young to learn and spend quality time with dad!
GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
52 Posts
There's no minimum age in Virginia. My daughter started at 9, my older son at 6, and the youngest boy is 6 now and he doesn't get to hunt until he's 30. That boy is wide open.

That said, I cut down the stock on a cva wolf and loaded a 240 grain xtp over 60 grains of pyrodex. They both shot through multiple does and bucks over the past few years.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There's no minimum age in Virginia. My daughter started at 9, my older son at 6, and the youngest boy is 6 now and he doesn't get to hunt until he's 30. That boy is wide open.

That said, I cut down the stock on a cva wolf and loaded a 240 grain xtp over 60 grains of pyrodex. They both shot through multiple does and bucks over the past few years.
My son started deer hunting with a 30-30 at 12. I had been allowing him to shoot my open sighted 22 at the range for a couple of years. I used to take him early in the morning when the range was usually deserted.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My son started deer hunting with a 30-30 at 12. I had been allowing him to shoot my open sighted 22 at the range for a couple of years. I used to take him early in the morning when the range was usually deserted.
I forgot to mention that he was able to take the NH hunter safety course at 12 before going hunting.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts