Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum. I am sure this topic has been stated a number of times
but don’t know how to find the threads so I apologize. my son is seven years old
and begs me to take him hunting . I was twelve when I started hunting
in Kentucky with my dad. What age did you let your son/daughter hunt deer?
thank you

·
Registered
968 Posts
Dad started me at 8. I think that was too early for anything other than corn or bean fields. We used to hunt heavy brush and wooded areas and the thorns would cut trough my jeans. My legs were often cut up pretty bad by the time we were done.

Gun safety is the bigger issue. My dad let me shoot a bb gun at about 5 years old. But from that point on, there ws no such thing as a toy gun. If I treated any gun as if it were different from a real loaded gun, the consequences would have been swift and likely severe for a 5 year old. I new this and Dad was sure of my gun safety discipline 3 years later as I never once played cops and robbers or cowboys and indigenous people with a toy gun.

A couple lessons doesn't make a kid gun safe. You need to get him to be second nature with it and a lot of repetition . I suggest you start out just taking him out to do frequent target shooting first, perhaps with a bb or pellet gun. Then maybe hunting once your confidence is there that he has it down.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I took my son deer hunting with me for the first time last year. He was 9 years old. This was an initiation for him so he could understand what hunting was all about compared to what he thought it was all about. I was amazed at how well he was able to sit still and stay quiet and since last season and he has talked about hunting fairly consistently since then, and is extremely excited to go again this year. I showed him some videos and dropped in tips and questions throughout the year so he could continue to learn. He will also finish his Hunter Safety Education Course by the end of next week, which is important to me as both a hunter and father. At 10 years old this year he has demonstrated ability to consistently hit a high percentage of 'high percentage' (safe and ethical) shots on a target with a crossbow, which I will load for him. We built a ground blind from blowdowns and brush last weekend for us to sit in, and he was all in on helping all the way. I will be with him the entire time and with that, I feel he is ready. I am actually getting more excited than I believe he is and am looking forward to our time building memories together.
Camouflage Military camouflage Trousers Cargo pants Outerwear

·
Registered
93 Posts
I started squirrel and deer hunting when I was 6. Used a 410 for squirrel and a 22 hornet for my first deer. I had started shooting BB guns and 22s around 4 but I was always with my dad. I took my son out deer hunting with me last year when he just turned three. He seen some doe and was excited. Took him squirrel hunting with me this year and we got a couple. He loved it and told his pre-school class about it. I’m trying to get him interested at a young age and so far it’s going well. Even watches hunting shows with me sometimes now.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I started squirrel and deer hunting when I was 6. Used a 410 for squirrel and a 22 hornet for my first deer. I had started shooting BB guns and 22s around 4 but I was always with my dad. I took my son out deer hunting with me last year when he just turned three. He seen some doe and was excited. Took him squirrel hunting with me this year and we got a couple. He loved it and told his pre-school class about it. I’m trying to get him interested at a young age and so far it’s going well. Even watches hunting shows with me sometimes now.
i’m just curious where you live.

·
Registered
255 Posts
As soon as they can handle a gun and shoot well enough to make clean kills. Also depends on the game. I started elk hunting with dad when I was 12 and frankly it was too early. Bird hunting with training 11-12 is fine.

·
Banned
Browning Citori CX, Browning Maxus II Carbon Fiber, Beretta 303 Trap Special
44 Posts
I started hunting around 9 or 10, single shot hammer gun .410. It really boiled down to when my father felt I was mature enough to handle the gun properly as well as strong enough to stay in the field all afternoon during the hunt. I still remember only being told warned once about being quiet and stop moving. It took another couple years before my father stopped getting crap from my uncles about me being to young, that ended one afternoon while ending the hunt with a little trap and my uncle spouting off about me killing someone right before he fell over on the line and shot his truck. Something I have yet to do. So all that being said I didn’t bring my own son out shooting the first time until he was 16 and my youngest daughter was about 12. The middle child will never go out with me mostly because lack of interest but also because she doesn’t need to be behind the trigger of a gun.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My first .22 at 6 years, Dad would not let me deer hunt until 9. The big thing is safety, my Dad taught me never to point a gun at anything you don't mean to kill. These days people are real weird about kids and guns, but if taught right there is no reason that as soon as he can shoulder, hold, and take the recoil then go for it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I tagged along with my Dad at an early age, but as for me actually harvesting game I started squirrel hunting at 8. I am glad I started early because Dad passed away when I was 31. We had lots of hunting trips planned that we never took. Time spent making memories with your son shouldn't be postponed.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Take them at any age to observe but get them a Gun at 12 years old. So the physically can hold the gun strength wise and with a little more maturity.
No need to rush it. IMHO
But it’s your house and it’s your rules

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
i took my son hunting the first time when he was 4. We went for a pretty vigorous walk up a logging road, then off into the bush for about 3/4 of an hour, then back to the truck for snack and a wee nap on the way home. He went with me on local hunts on the island, shooting his first grouse fairly early on, and hunted deer after that. Then he came on a hunt in the Chilcotin at 12, when it was so cold the water lines in the camper froze up, and he loved it. Now he lives to hunt, putting a pack on his back and heading into the hills for a weekend hunting deer.
His son is 4, and has been hiking with his dad up and down mountains, in heat, cold, driving rain, or anything else for about 2.5 years. He hasn't gone hunting yet, but he knows about skinning deer and cutting hem up, and LOVES to eat venison, so I think we have another confirmed hunter coming up.
It's never too early to start them, you just have to remember to hunt on their schedule. Food, naps, bathroom breaks, and being too tired to hike any more so you have to carry them are all part of it. Those are the best times you will have, and if you do it right you'll have times like them for many years to come.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
No one can answer that. Number 1, gun safety has to be automatic not something they have to think about. 2 they have to be strong enough to pack their gun and gear. My son started at 9, but he was huge for his age and I had been packing him on easier hunts at 4. My daughter did not start until she was 13, due to a lack of upper body strength.

Reactions: Big Az Al

·
Registered
51 Posts
Both of my sons were both killing deer with both bow and rifle at 10 and 11 years old. They had constant supervision from me at all times and had proven that they could make ethical shots at very modest ranges. They have continued the tradition with my grandchildren with them all taking deer and turkey as young as 6 years old. In my opinion the child’s maturity level at young ages needs to be evaluated closely. I have no regrets getting mine started early. Great memories for made for all of us!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Snow Outdoor recreation Glove Jacket Sky
this was a long time ago...does not seem like it. One of my favorite photos. Don't think we even saw a rooster. 10 and 7

·
Registered
707 Posts
I’ve taken my 3 y/o little girl dove hunting a couple times, and duck hunting for the first time this weekend. She was pretty excited, but behaved pretty well overall. She got a big kick out of throwing the decoys out of the boat, and picking up the hulls from the floor.
I will keep her hunting/observing with me, until I feel she is safe and mature enough to participate, that might be 4 or 14 we shall see.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I started probably around 10. Dad would have to cock the crossbow for me and I'd pull it up the tree and put a bolt in it. Shot my first doe, picture perfect scenario, 15 yards quartering away. Unfortunately about 30 seconds after I shot, her 2 yearlings came out into the field looking for momma. I sobbed like a baby and it scarred me for a few years. Maybe a little too young. But I still hunt and probably have a greater respect and love for the game as a result of that experience.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Whenever the child is mature enough and physically able to handle the gun Safely.
All children Mature at a different rate regardless of actual age,so that could be a large factor in the decision.
I've always thought that at the very beginning young hunters should hunt small game first,let them kill a couple squirrels 3-4 times and then figure out if it something they are excited about or are they just trying to make you happy by going.
I'm sure it will workout just fine whenever you decide its time,just remember "forget about killing anything for the next few seasons" because it will be all about his success,which is a good thing.

Greg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts