Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what age is a good age to start off my son on shooting some trap targets. My little guy is 6 almost 7 and loves to go with me shooting. I take him out shooting 22's alot and he really can handle the gun good and understands the safety aspects of the gun. I been thinking about letting him shoot a shotgun, but I don't want the weight or the recoil of the gun to scare him away if he isn't ready. I have a 20ga 1100 he could use that doesn't have much recoil, but I would have to find a youth stock for it. What do you guys think? Thanks Huntinandhotrods

·
Registered
377 Posts
My dad did not believe in 22's for youngsters. He felt most did not understand how far a 22 can travel. He bought me a new Savage/Fox style 410 dubble barrel. Still have it. I was 10 years old. We had beagle's and he would take me along rabbit hunting. He would hand me the 410 and say shoot the rabbit and not the dogs. When I missed he would explain what I did wrong. He is long gone but, when I remiss it's like yesterday. Keep your youngster in arms reach and enjoy.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
At that age, I would buy him one like this:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=sb1-258

And load up some light 3/4 oz loads for him. At that price, how can you go wrong with it as a Christmas present?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
My Dad never believed in anything smaller than a 12ga. His theory was a 12ga could be loaded light enough that anyone could handle it. I never shot a 20ga until i was almost 25. I had never owned a .410 until i bought my T/C Contender. Was my Dad right? I don't know but i will say that i never developed a fear of the 12ga as i see some young shooters that are started on 20ga. guns. I have heard some on our youth Trap team that shoot 20ga. speak of being scared of when they ever move up to a 12ga. I guess i see where my Dad was going with his idea. If the young boy/girl is big enough to hold the 12ga up and shoot it, start 'em with some light 7/8 or 1oz loads. I was hunting doves with a Remington 870 when i was about 9. I never remember it punishing to the point where i didn't want to shoot. Still have that 1968 model Remington 870 Wingmaster.

Matt

·
Registered
14,697 Posts
Most kids can't hit squat with a .410. Heck, most adults can't hit anything with a .410! Breaking birds is success, and makes it fun. Start with a 20 gauge auto, light loads, and go from there.

·
Registered
334 Posts
What Setterman said...

A .410 is a gun for a much more accomplished shooter (and the NRA Basic Shotgun course concurs). Start him with a 20 ga with a youth stock.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I live in N.Y., the only gun my daughter can shoot at 8 years old is a BB gun. Have to wait until she is twelve. A friend of mine let his son shoot a 22 before he was 12, the child talked about it in school the following day. A few days later my friend had a visit by the police..... I Hate N.Y.,land of high taxs, liberals and repressive laws.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
I also believe it is not the age, but the size of the child. Over the past few years I have seen a big 8 year old shoot a cut down BT99, with a very short stock and barrel with choke tubes. I have three young grandsons and their guns are already waiting for them in my gun cabinet. I purchased also purchased three extra stocks over the last few years and have cut them down at 12 inches, with 1/4 inch increments for when they grow. Once they are big enough I will place the original stocks on their guns.
Steve Balistreri

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
My son is 10 weighs about 75 pounds and is 5ft tall and very strong for his age. I put together a single barrel trap gun for him with a 13" LOP and it is still a little heavy for him. I would go with a 12ga and load either 3/4 oz or 7/8 oz loads.

Jim

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
My son is 10 weighs about 75 pounds and is 5ft tall and very strong for his age. I put together a single barrel trap gun for him with a 13" LOP and it is still a little heavy for him. I would go with a 12ga and load either 3/4 oz or 7/8 oz loads.

Jim

·
Registered
824 Posts
I started both of my sons at 12. They were both tall for their age. They both started out using BT99s. Both shot very well and won trophies buckles and silver plates. They were both very good at Turkey shoots against all shooters.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I started both of my sons at 12. They were both tall for their age. They both started out using BT99s. Both shot very well and won trophies buckles and silver plates. They were both very good at Turkey shoots against all shooters.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
My son was 11 when he was strong enough to handle a 12 ga. I had my 870 comp cut down to fit him and then added spacers as he grew.....

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
My son was 11 when he was strong enough to handle a 12 ga. I had my 870 comp cut down to fit him and then added spacers as he grew.....

·
Registered
426 Posts
I started my grandson at age 8 with a 28gauge and within about a year he was into a 20 gauge,by age9 1/2 he was shooting a 12 gauge 1100.if you can't find a youth stock find a cheap stock and cut it off,saving the original stock to replace at a later time. Hope this helps Mike

·
Registered
426 Posts
I started my grandson at age 8 with a 28gauge and within about a year he was into a 20 gauge,by age9 1/2 he was shooting a 12 gauge 1100.if you can't find a youth stock find a cheap stock and cut it off,saving the original stock to replace at a later time. Hope this helps Mike

·
Registered
125 Posts
You started him out correctly witth the 22. Shoot it for just a little while longer then I'd go to a 410. after at least maybe a year then go on into a 12 gage. If you reload you can load for as light as the heavier shot out of a 410 and as heavy as a light shot out of a 10 gage. This is why I call the 12 gage the most versital of all the gages. My Grandaughter started with a 22 rifle just to learn the safety factor of shooting. Then I moved her on to a 12 gage loading as light a shot for her until she got used to the report of the gun. We are in the in between loads. These are still light but with a light to mid size push. She is now hitting 15 out of 25 more constantly then before. We will be moving on into a little more heavier powder base to give her the reality of the report. She shoots a Charles Daily semi auto 12 gage. The stock has been sized just for her. She will be moving into an 1100 here not to far in the future. But she has to become more consistant in the 20's After that then she will be shooting all phases of trap and skeet. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

·
Registered
125 Posts
You started him out correctly witth the 22. Shoot it for just a little while longer then I'd go to a 410. after at least maybe a year then go on into a 12 gage. If you reload you can load for as light as the heavier shot out of a 410 and as heavy as a light shot out of a 10 gage. This is why I call the 12 gage the most versital of all the gages. My Grandaughter started with a 22 rifle just to learn the safety factor of shooting. Then I moved her on to a 12 gage loading as light a shot for her until she got used to the report of the gun. We are in the in between loads. These are still light but with a light to mid size push. She is now hitting 15 out of 25 more constantly then before. We will be moving on into a little more heavier powder base to give her the reality of the report. She shoots a Charles Daily semi auto 12 gage. The stock has been sized just for her. She will be moving into an 1100 here not to far in the future. But she has to become more consistant in the 20's After that then she will be shooting all phases of trap and skeet. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.