Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A great rant about pro golf and not one word about making the game easier?

So I had this thought. What would golf be like if the ATA made the rules?

nothing over par 3

only straight fairways and reaalllly wide

circular greens absolutely level with the hole in the center

hole a foot in diameter

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,725 Posts
And... golf balls the equivalent of 3 1/2" Mag shells with 2oz #5 shot and clubs the equivalent of Howitzers.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I read the article, I missed the part where they were ranting about anything. It was an article about changes they would like to see to PROFESSIONAL golf that would make it better. Nothing about making it harder or easier, it was about making it better.

It's not a perfect apples to apples comparison, but in many ways advancement in technology has made things easier in golf, just like it has done for the shooting sports.

With golf, today's equipment is certainly better, making the game easier. Today's ball is better, making the game easier. Today's course conditions are better, making the game easier. That 400 yard par 4 that was a killer 25 years ago is now a driver and a flip wedge. Not much different than custom stocks, tuned barrels and chokes, and premium shells to make trapshooting easier.

Want proof. From my mid-20's to late-40's I played around 40 rounds of golf a year. Every weekend from April to October. It was my lone hobby, and I worked at it, hard. The lowest I ever got my handicap index was 5.4. Now in my 50's, I play about 10-15 rounds a year, and generally play them in bursts of 4 or 5 rounds over the course of 3 days - so literally I'm only playing 3 or 4 times a year. My handicap index is 4.7.

I'm fairly proficient at both golf and trapshooting, and I can tell you that both sports have done a lot to make the game easier. And golf doesn't apologize for it, they do it to attract more players. The average 18 handicapper looks forward to improvements that make the game easier and more enjoyable. The pro game is much different, but you are talking about fractions of a percent of the participants.

Scott

·
Registered
356 Posts
At my club in north jersey, the whole field becomes just like some parts of a golf course, one big water hazard and in some cases, completely under water. No penalty shots given. Maybe we need to truck in some sand and change the stations. That might make it harder. I have a chance for a good round of trap, not so in golf, no matter how great the clubs may be made., and I never wanted to throw my shotgun after missing a shot, as I did in golf. I have plenty of used shells, but never had a ball long enough with losing it, to have it be considered used. Isn't golf a non shooting related thread?

Rich Kaplan- duffer extrordinair

·
Registered
589 Posts
Scott;

That is one of the most well thought out and intelligent posts of the year. To bad more people don't think like you. Unfortunately some people on this site only want to live in the past.

You can ad bowling to the list of sports that have changed immensely over the years due to technology. Equipment now makes a true 160 average bowler a 190 average.

Thanks for a great post

Ken

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I'm confused - I thot $ meant "pro".

Do amateur golfers win $?

All trapshooters use the same equipment. I know amateur golfers use anything they want and pros have to follow rules. What Scott says about the game doesn't make it sound easier (maybe for him) just better. It got cleaned up. Tell somebody at St.Andrews that the game has been made easier to attract newbies.

My point was - the game was not mentioned and I presummmmm that one set of rules and the same courses (OK shorter tees) are used by all golfers. The game was not even mentioned, only the manner in which it is presented to the viewer.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
No, No, No! We have to go back to hickory shafts and featheries. At least nothing newer than gutta perchas. And stop mowing the fairways so short. Only real men can play from natural fairways.

The new golf balls and clubs are a travesty to the folks who shot under par for the first 500 years of golf.

Danny

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,725 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about when we had to shoot doubles with a single barrel muzzle loader. ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts