Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve always shot trap but recently I’ve been wanting to give sporting clays a try. I would like to find a gun that would be good for sporting clays and also a decent backup trap gun medium rib, 60/40 etc. the first thing that comes to mind is the citori cx what else is out there

·
Registered
501 Posts
2 questions...

Price range?
And what do you shoot now?

A Beretta onyx pro trap is a little flatter shooting usually around 60/40 and has a mid rib. It also comes in a combo with an adjustable unsingle if you wanted as well. Another look would be at a Joel Etchen Beretta 687 All Around. That’s a flat rib but a nice shooter. And I shoot a Zoli Z-sport Mid rib and that is a great gun and shoots about 60/40. They also make a Z-sport high rib which is more of a tall mid rib not a trap high rib per se. And that has an adjustable rib on it. But the CX is a nice middle priced gun that would serve you very well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say 2000-2500 max only because it’s a gun that I probably won’t shoot as much as a dedicated trap gun. I do like the onyx pro trap I didn’t realize its poi is that flat that may be the direction I go. I shot a citori 725 sporting high rib and didn’t care for the gun but it was only one round of trap.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Many great guns out there, I would choose one with 32” barrels if you plan to use as a back up for trap. Those mentioned would should work well, good luck.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
As a guy that only shoots 2- rounds of trap per week and occasionally a round of sporting clays, I spent all winter looking for what I wanted...and asking for opinions from folks here with more experience.
I very briefly looked at a Cynergy cx on the rack but I just didn't care for the anesthetics and saw some claims it wasn't as reliable as the Citori. I ended up getting the Citori CX just over a week ago. Now I just gotta wait out this stay at home order and for life to start getting back to order before I can really put any shell through it

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I use to have an old browning trap 32" that I could drop the comb a bit and shoot skeet or spt.clays and do pretty well with it.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
My son shoots Browning XT 30 inch barrels. I have Skeet XS 30 inch. In this model I prefer 30 over 32, not as barrel heavy. The 725 is not as heavy as the XT. He talked me into 686 Beretta Onyx Pro Gold combo, 32/34. Unfortunately, he beats me with both.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Being a trap shooter, you will probably not like a flat shooting gun as you are not used to covering up the target to break it. Also you generally shoot a skeet targets while it is still raising although not as much rise as in trap. Therefore, I also would give the CX a nod as they generally considered shoot a 60/40 pattern, allowing you to make the shot while having the barrels at the bottom or just below the target.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you really want to go against the grain on B guns you could look into the Verona equivalent of the Zoli Kronos (more like clone...just a zoli with Verona stamped on it). They are pretty reasonable used and serviceable.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bought a new CX white this past January.
32”, no comb—just love it.
i had a Jones pad adjuster put on it and also put a pitch spacer on it.
It lined up perfectly without the comb—for me—and for a couple hundred bucks—the white model really looks a lot better if that’s a consideration etc.
60/40 POI on this CX—-my Kolar T/S is also set up a little flat so this is a back-up for that and for the occasional round of skeet or clays.
Tried a Cynergy sporting and a a400 multitarget before getting this—love the CX the best.

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
the first thing that comes to mind is the citori cx what else is out there
Next in Line is the Caesar Guerini Summit with a Mid Rib (4 grand). Not much between the CX and this line. IMO the Beretta line below the now current 694 are all to light in weight to be a good target shotgun. The Silver Pigeon is real light, followed by the 690 that is slighter heavier but still a bit to light IMO. So if you want to stay below $2,500 your only real choice is Browning's CX line. Unless you can find a used Browning with the Silver Nitrate finish. This finish will hold up better than just a blued receiver in the long run. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m thinking about a cx with an adjustable comb that way i can make it shoot a little higher for trap and lower it for everything else. I had a citori xt 32 inch it did feel a little barrel heavy I’ll have to feel a 30 inch and compare them.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I’m thinking about a cx with an adjustable comb that way i can make it shoot a little higher for trap and lower it for everything else. I had a citori xt 32 inch it did feel a little barrel heavy I’ll have to feel a 30 inch and compare them.
The one I bought has is 30" barrel and it feels pretty well balanced to me. Again, I really haven't been able to put shells through it since I was quarantined and now all the ranges are closed up for at least 2 weeks.
It's right there at the edge of maybe needing an adjustable comb but I may not need it. The beads aren't stacked quite like I prefer but will see how it goes and my put a cheek eez pad on it to see if it makes any difference before having any stock work done. I'm stoked to get out and break some clay with it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts