Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 75.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this Extrac-Tec lead machine with feed hopper on BigIron. Does any know anything about them? They have a video of the machine running.
BigIron

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Here is what you have to consider about the future of lead recovery on gun ranges and particularly shotgun ranges. Increasing government regulations pertaining to dust control and worker protection/insurance rates are going to keep increasing the cost of recovery to the point where there is no economic incentive for the club to allow the mining to take place let alone assume the liability of lead laden dust or lead contaminated runoff to drift/flow onto adjoining or downstream properties.

If you are a club be extremely selective with whom you deal and get an honest assessment of the safety of the recovery operation as it pertains to adjoining properties.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is what you have to consider about the future of lead recovery on gun ranges and particularly shotgun ranges. Increasing government regulations pertaining to dust control and worker protection/insurance rates are going to keep increasing the cost of recovery to the point where there is no economic incentive for the club to allow the mining to take place let alone assume the liability of lead laden dust or lead contaminated runoff to drift/flow onto adjoining or downstream properties.

If you are a club be extremely selective with whom you deal and get an honest assessment of the safety of the recovery operation as it pertains to adjoining properties.
I know the dust has to become a liability but what about a closed wet system like Extractec’s machines. They wouldn’t be much dust. So you think lead remediation is just going to go away in the future or use newer technology?

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
There is a big difference between recovery for profit and remediation to clean up a closed range.

As to the machine, you are generating contaminated water which appears to be running out on the ground. This would need to go into a catch basin that when dried out could be tilled back into the soil so it doesn't blow away. Further, to process all the surface dirt on a shotgun range would take copious amounts of freshwater from the looks of how the machine goes through it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The three R’s. Reclamation, Remediation and Restoration.
Jim have you been around a wet system? Or do you know anyone that has? I feel this type of machine would produce a very clean product.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
The lead is not the problem, it is the "fines" left behind that contain the dangerous decomposed lead compounds that can only be chemically stablelized with a rather expensive treatment. It is these fines and compounds suspended in the water that is the problem with a wet system.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,266 Posts
Well Leadfinder you may be using the wrong words. I have a feeling you are not looking into remediation but maybe reclamation. Big Difference. Reclamation is when you reclaim lead on a shooting range and it stays being a shooting range. Remediation is when the ground needs to be brought back to safe levels for other uses of the land,

Now Using a wet system is not necessary contaminating the water you are using. If that was the case whenever it rains you would be contaminating all the rain water. The ground filters the water as it soaks down.

The wet system you are looking at is located about 30 miles from me and I know the owner. A wet system can be an advantage in reclaiming lead shot as usually it is more effective in percentage of reclamation however it does have its downfalls also. The problem is water access. That system uses 100 gallons per minute to operate. Thats a lot of water and when you use a water system you cannot let that water leave the property. It must soak into the ground on that property to avoid lead migration off of the property. Not all ranges are suitable for using a wet system. Thats why I use a dry sift system but I have used a wet system on EPA cleanups in the past.

Yes that system will work for lead reclamation and actually I have considered buying it. If he still has the system in the spring I may talk him into letting me rent it from him to do a job we have. Let me know if you have any questions but you might want to PM me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Leadfinder you may be using the wrong words. I have a feeling you are not looking into remediation but maybe reclamation. Big Difference. Reclamation is when you reclaim lead on a shooting range and it stays being a shooting range. Remediation is when the ground needs to be brought back to safe levels for other uses of the land,

Now Using a wet system is not necessary contaminating the water you are using. If that was the case whenever it rains you would be contaminating all the rain water. The ground filters the water as it soaks down.

The wet system you are looking at is located about 30 miles from me and I know the owner. A wet system can be an advantage in reclaiming lead shot as usually it is more effective in percentage of reclamation however it does have its downfalls also. The problem is water access. That system uses 100 gallons per minute to operate. Thats a lot of water and when you use a water system you cannot let that water leave the property. It must soak into the ground on that property to avoid lead migration off of the property. Not all ranges are suitable for using a wet system. Thats why I use a dry sift system but I have used a wet system on EPA cleanups in the past.

Yes that system will work for lead reclamation and actually I have considered buying it. If he still has the system in the spring I may talk him into letting me rent it from him to do a job we have. Let me know if you have any questions but you might want to PM me.
Lead Miner I should say that I’m looking into info on reclamation and not remediation after Jim’s responses. But didn’t know how to change the title of the forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The title has been changed! Lead Miner I hope now we are all on the same page to reclaim some spent lead.:balltrap::elmer:

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
When I was the Treasurer at my home club, I was responsible for lead reclamation. I interviewed several potential candidates. One of them did use a wet recovery process.

His plan was to dig an artificial pond on the range, fill it with water from a nearby hydrant, then filter and reuse the water over and over again. The advantages he claimed were less dust, much cleaner shot, more money from the buyer, and quicker reclamation. His references gave him glowing recommendations. We didn't end up using him, because he was booked for 9 months.

His artificial pond method might work for the machine above. Let the water evaporate and you are done. You can fill in the pond if you like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I was the Treasurer at my home club, I was responsible for lead reclamation. I interviewed several potential candidates. One of them did use a wet recovery process.

His plan was to dig an artificial pond on the range, fill it with water from a nearby hydrant, then filter and reuse the water over and over again. The advantages he claimed were less dust, much cleaner shot, more money from the buyer, and quicker reclamation. His references gave him glowing recommendations. We didn't end up using him, because he was booked for 9 months.

His artificial pond method might work for the machine above. Let the water evaporate and you are done. You can fill in the pond if you like.
Do you remember his name or contact? I totally think that’s the way to go for the best product. It would be harder with more clay but if you used a small log washer or some kind of beating equipment to wash the lead off it would be easy.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Terry did you buy this for the 6k it sold for? That would of been a smoking deal!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Terry did you buy this for the 6k it sold for? That would of been a smoking deal!!
Some guy from Oaklahoma. Yea my brother inlaw didn’t get much for all that. I was guna buy it but when you got a baby on the way you can’t spend as much as you want. Dang kids lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts