Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,779 Posts
I'm embarrassed, but I got 24 out of 30. Tsk, Tsk. I should have done better. Thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
909 Posts
and no mention of one of the best ever, "Silverado."

Reactions: buck3200

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
and no mention of one of the best ever, "Silverado."
Silverado one of the best? Agree to disagree. Not to start an argument, but in my opinion, if we just look at Costner's movies, I would pick Open Range, Dances with Wolves, and even Wyatt Earp as much better western movies.

My all time favorite westerns are, The Searchers, Red River, Stagecoach, True Grit, The Shootist, Winchester 73, Bend of the River, the Far Country, Tombstone, Open Range, Dances with Wolves, Shane, Josey Wales, Unforgiven, High Noon, The Gunfighter, The Wild Bunch, Monte Walsh, and Quigley Down Under just to name a few. In my book, any of the John Wayne westerns are good.

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
I have watched "The outlaw Josey Wales" so many times it is amazing.
I think that is my favorite western.
I reckon so!

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I have watched Shane a couple of times on late night movies. I like Alan Ladd but it is all I can do to stand that whiney kid !

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Look, I should have 26 correct. McCabe and Mrs. Miller is a western....the same way MASH, another Altman film, is a war movie. You can add all of the high faloot'n academic analysis you want but it's a western. Set in the west, featuring six-guns and lever actions, prostitutes, miners and vigilante justice. Only an academic libtard would say it's a metaphoric repudiation of the traditional conservative American values beset with anti-heroes and set around a theme portraying the Sisyphusian nature of man's struggle against his own greed, the corruption of government, the staid neo-Victorian values of conservative America and his own erotic urges.

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
Look, I should have 26 correct. McCabe and Mrs. Miller is a western....the same way MASH, another Altman film, is a war movie. You can add all of the high faloot'n academic analysis you want but it's a western. Set in the west, featuring six-guns and lever actions, prostitutes, miners and vigilante justice. Only an academic libtard would say it's a metaphoric repudiation of the traditional conservative American values beset with anti-heroes and set around a theme portraying the Sisyphusian nature of man's struggle against his own greed, the corruption of government, the staid neo-Victorian values of conservative America and his own erotic urges.

God darnit, Mr. omgb, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

Blazing Saddles, now that is a western!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
all time favorite westerns are, The Searchers, Red River, Stagecoach, True Grit, The Shootist, Winchester 73, Bend of the River, the Far Country, Tombstone, Open Range, Dances with Wolves, Shane, Josey Wales, Unforgiven, High Noon, The Gunfighter, The Wild Bunch, Monte Walsh, and Quigley Down Under just to name a few. In my book, any of the John Wayne westerns are good.
What about The Magnificent Seven? There was never a stronger cast assembled for any Western.

I'd rank quite a few other Eastwood flicks above Unforgiven, including High Plains Drifter, Hang 'Em High, Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
What about The Magnificent Seven? There was never a stronger cast assembled for any Western.

I'd rank quite a few other Eastwood flicks above Unforgiven, including High Plains Drifter, Hang 'Em High, Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, etc.
I am not a big fan of Yul Brenner (except in the Ten Commandments) . When the original Westworld came out with Yul, they mixed sci-fi with a western theme and I didn't care for that. I haven't seen the new release of the Magnificent Seven, but I suspect it won't be as good as the original.

I understand the spaghetti westerns are classics, but something about them just never clicked with me. As for Eastwood's westerns I do like Josey Wales, Hang 'Em High and Joe Kidd. I watch them every time they are on. As for the other Eastwood westerns, watching them once every couple of years is good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
How could you waddies leave out LONESOME DOVE ? One of the all time best
And most accurate depictions of what it was REALLY like. The novel is even
better.....820 pages and I thought it ended too soon !

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
How could you waddies leave out LONESOME DOVE ? One of the all time best
And most accurate depictions of what it was REALLY like. The novel is even
better.....820 pages and I thought it ended too soon !

I consider Lonesome Dove to be the best mini series ever aired. It is a great western. I have read Larry McMurtry books about Gus and Woodrow that include Comanche Moon, Lonesome Dove, Dead Mans Walk, and Streets of Laredo! All great!

I still get all teary eyed when Gus passes on. By God, Woodrow; it's been one hell of a party.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts