Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to have a new recoil pad installed on my Remington 1100 TT. I'd like to have the same LOP as the factory pad. Felt recoil isn't an issue with this gun, and the current stock fits me very well. The pad is just old and getting hard from years of shooting.

Most of the places I've found only install pads when they sell you the lumber. I'm willing to pack and ship the buttstock out for this work if that's the best choice. I have not purchased a pad yet.

Fast turnaround would be nice but not essential, I have other guns to shoot while this is being done.

Thanks in advance.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,023 Posts
I have a few Microcell pads laying around so here's my thought:

-Take a few pictures of your pad installed on the gun. Top, bottom, side/side and head on from pad end.
-Pull your factory pad, trace it onto a heavy piece of paper (an old Christmas/Birthday card would be good) along with the exact position of the screw holes, jot down the thickness of the pad.
-Put the pad back on and continue shooting.
-In the meantime, send me those pics and mail that paper to me.
-I'll grind a Microcell and ship it back to you for just the cost of the pad/shipping.
-If it doesn't meet your expectations, it's free.

I recently did a SPS through the pad adjuster, shim and pad install for @smokin.trucker and all I used was his factory pad. He provided the hardware. When I saw it all together I was happy with the results. The fit was about 98% - just a hare off, you had to really look at it to notice -but- it wasn't perfect so I refused to charge him. He insisted on something so a case of beer found the bed of my truck.

I will say, with the shim thrown into the mix it made getting everything lined up perfectly much more difficult. It was a learning experience, working with four separate pieces and getting it all to come together once the screws were torqued taught me a few things that no customer should have to pay for.

Bottom line is I like doing this stuff and would be more than happy to see if I can get you set up with a new Microcell pad. If not, that's cool too. And to avoid anything else, I have no ties whatsoever with Hastings or Microcell. Like I said, I like this stuff and I like the pad and think you might too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@WadHopper, thank you for the generous offer. I'll get it traced and photos taken for you. I'll also measure the thickness and the bases' width/height with calipers. I'm too new here to send you a PM, but you should be able to contact me via email through the site. If you could send me your address that way, I'll get this to you. If you can include your email, I'll send the photos that way.

I was leaning towards a Microcell pad anyway, so this is better than I could have asked for.

Thanks again.

·
What squad am I on?
8,023 Posts
@WadHopper, thank you for the generous offer. I'll get it traced and photos taken for you. I'll also measure the thickness and the bases' width/height with calipers. I'm too new here to send you a PM, but you should be able to contact me via email through the site. If you could send me your address that way, I'll get this to you. If you can include your email, I'll send the photos that way.

I was leaning towards a Microcell pad anyway, so this is better than I could have asked for.

Thanks again.
Sit tight, I'll try getting you some info. In the meantime...

When you trace the pad, pinch the paper tight, roll it over and poke a small hole directly into the screw holes on you factory pad. Attempting to mark the holes by going through the pad will likely not yield accurate positioning.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Sit tight, I'll try getting you some info. In the meantime...

When you trace the pad, pinch the paper tight, roll it over and poke a small hole directly into the screw holes on you factory pad. Attempting to mark the holes by going through the pad will likely not yield accurate positioning.
wow supper nice of you !!

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Tron will be sooooo happy with you infringing on his territory . I see a lawsuit pending and perhaps a contract out on your cat .

Reactions: WadHopper

·
What squad am I on?
8,023 Posts
Tron will be sooooo happy with you infringing on his territory . I see a lawsuit pending and perhaps a contract out on your cat .
Tron has absolutely nothing to worry about, trust me ;)
I don't plan on making this a routine either. Just a random act I felt compelled to do. Maybe it was the guy that paid for my coffee this morning at McDonald's drive thru....who knows!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This reminds me of a bicycling forum I visit daily (ok, truth be told it is actually multiple times a day). There is a group of us that like to restore and ride classic & vintage bicycles, and we are constantly trading parts and sending them to folks that need them. It's very encouraging to see that the "help each other when you can" is not an isolated incident.

·
What squad am I on?
8,023 Posts
This reminds me of a bicycling forum I visit daily (ok, truth be told it is actually multiple times a day). There is a group of us that like to restore and ride classic & vintage bicycles, and we are constantly trading parts and sending them to folks that need them. It's very encouraging to see that the "help each other when you can" is not an isolated incident.
Liability has crushed a lot of good intentions. We see it here, otherwise you'd have my contact information by now. Our society must somehow find a way to make sure that no good deed goes unpunished. An unfortunate truth.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have to agree with that, looking at the property to my south. There is (was) a house on the property south of us on Lake Barkley and the owners don't live there full time, they mostly use it on summer weekends and holidays. A little over a week ago I was walking our dog and smelled smoke. Since we were headed that way on our walk, I looked closely and saw smoke coming out of the roof's peak vents. I ran back to our house and called 911. Short story - the house is a total loss. I called the owners and he said they had given a relative permission to stay there. He said the relative had a alcohol problem. So they kindly gave him a place to stay, and to repay the favor he burned their house down.

I would not have wanted to be at their dinnertable that night.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@WadHopper, I can set up a throwaway email address and post it in this thread, then delete it once you've responded. Please let me know If that's OK with you. I don't know if that is circumventing any forum rules, I hope not.

If you'd rather wait until I have 50 posts and can use the PM system I'm fine with that.

·
What squad am I on?
8,023 Posts
@WadHopper, I can set up a throwaway email address and post it in this thread, then delete it once you've responded. Please let me know If that's OK with you. I don't know if that is circumventing any forum rules, I hope not.

If you'd rather wait until I have 50 posts and can use the PM system I'm fine with that.
I have a PM into our moderators asking a couple questions in regards to my offer. We're in different waters as far as forum rules go, they typically apply to buying/selling so since that's not really what we're trying to accomplish I'll await their guidance. There's a big picture that I don't wanna tip sideways so once I hear back, we'll go from there.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
When I was asked who can install a pad my first thought was ( contact info)
I feared breaking forum rule by posting phone #s .
I got the hammer the last time I tried to speak with someone with less than 50.
Henry

·
What squad am I on?
8,023 Posts
When I was asked who can install a pad my first thought was ( contact info)
I feared breaking forum rule by posting phone #s .
I got the hammer the last time I tried to speak with someone with less than 50.
Henry
And there you have it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts