Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was checking the handicap scores and noticed how well the back-fencers did. Made me do some counting: Of the 39 scores of 95 and above, 32 were by 27 yarders. Must be a popular place for the big dogs, eh?

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Even today's 16's
239 entries, 96 scored 98x100 or better.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Vernal is where the current money in handicap is available. Vernal has been a money shoot for the past several (more than several) years. Yes the good shooters show up there. In Wednesdays handicap 116 of the 226 shooters entered were on the 27 yard line. When a large number of better than average 27 yard shooters show up the odds of some of them posting a good score are very probable. Not the norm at most ATA shoots. Look at the NC State shoot scores and you do not see any domination by the 27 yard shooters. Most state shoots are not dominated by the 27 yard shooters and most local shoots are not either.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Considering the very best shots in the country all shoot from 27, nothing surprising at all in Vernal. They consistently attract the shooters with great hospitality, food and trophies worth winning. This isn't rocket science. Just remember when you win a lot people know your name and when you win nearly every time people begin to hate you. Once you make it to AAA/27/AAA there is only one way to go. Winning at Vernal is no easy chore as the competition rivals the Grand. I hope to make it next year as this year didn't work out for me.

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
I was planning on going next year. But I need a little help deciding what to do. Being a 23 yarder now, should I try to make the 27 so I can be shooting with the better shooters, or maybe try to get to the 18 where I can have a chance of winning and then everyone can hate me. (I hope they don't already.) And, no I'm not from Kentucky. Just trying to get info from more experienced shooters. All help is greatly appreciated.:a37::a37:

GneJ

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Oh I mean its the MISS and OUTS where the money is. There is no money in shooting lol

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
When there are big purses the Big Dog money shooters will be there. They show up like sharks at chum dump! Most of them only go where the money is most of the time. I think everyone expects this and I suppose they should. If I was one of them ,I guess I would do the same!

·
Super Moderator
5,324 Posts
So, who won the miss and outs?
We had "some" inclement weather, so since the forecast was for much better weather today, they were postponed until tonight.

And, looking out the window (sunny and a clear blue sky), it was a good call.

This year the Miss 'n Outs will be done differently.

As in the past, everyone will still shoot from the 27 on the "qualification" round and if you miss you walk off the line.

But this year they are going to do three Lewis classes.

So, as in the past, everyone who breaks 25 will shoot off on 27-yard wobble, but there will also be two lower scores that will be determined using the Lewis Class rules that will go out and shoot 27-yard wobble for the money. So it is possible (not sure how probable) that someone could have a lone score and win $2,000 out right.

Should be interesting, and fun.

·
Banned
818 Posts
When you can attract the Big Guns, you know you are doing something right ... Vernal has it dialed in and it shows ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
We had "some" inclement weather, so since the forecast was for much better weather today, they were postponed until tonight.

And, looking out the window (sunny and a clear blue sky), it was a good call.

This year the Miss 'n Outs will be done differently.

As in the past, everyone will still shoot from the 27 on the "qualification" round and if you miss you walk off the line.

But this year they are going to do three Lewis classes.

So, as in the past, everyone who breaks 25 will shoot off on 27-yard wobble, but there will also be two lower scores that will be determined using the Lewis Class rules that will go out and shoot 27-yard wobble for the money. So it is possible (not sure how probable) that someone could have a lone score and win $2,000 out right.

Should be interesting, and fun.
Hmm glad it didn't make it then. Picking and chooseing days and cutting up the money. Sounds like the beginning of the end.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Most local shoots are won by lucky 20 yarders or sand bagging 21 1/2 yarders. The big shoots will be dominated by the 27 yarders, who are what, semi-pro at least, anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Everybody wants a chance at taking down one of the best Sean Hawley. That's why it's such a popular place. I know California misses him since he took over Vernal.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Everybody wants a chance at taking down one of the best Sean Hawley. That's why it's such a popular place. I know California misses him since he took over Vernal.
I think Sean is too busy working to pick up a gun. I haven't seen his name on the board.

·
Super Moderator
5,324 Posts
Sean doesn't shoot this shoot.

He will shoot the Zone when Vernal is a site, but he's much too busy running this shoot to participate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts