Trapshooters Forum banner

West Coast shot

2975 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  MikeKal
The contents on the bag says that it contains lead, antimony, and inorganic arsenic. What is inorganic arsenic and what does it do for shot. I always thought it contained a little tin, but there is no mention of tin.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
13,764 Posts
An arsenic compound that contains no carbon and is a simple molecule. Highly toxic, such as As2O3, Arsenic Tri-oxide. Don't know what is in the shot, though, or how much.

Reactions: mg1polo

· Premium Member
2,394 Posts
Unfortunately, traces of inorganic arsenic are in many metals and even in foods. The key is to practice good hygiene and keep your intake at low levels by washing your hands after reloading/handling shot and avoid breathing fumes or dusts if you are making shot or handling shot that may have formed dusts.

· Registered
1,765 Posts
Unfortunately, traces of inorganic arsenic are in many metals and even in foods. The key is to practice good hygiene and keep your intake at low levels by washing your hands after reloading/handling shot and avoid breathing fumes or dusts if you are making shot or handling shot that may have formed dusts.
Especially in Nevada.

· Banned
1,793 Posts
Tin is what bullet casters have used traditionally. I don't now, but assume tin has also been used by shot makers. However, it's price became very erratic in recent years and it trends at $10-15 per pound more expensive than arsenic metal, which runs about $1 or less. Virtually all of both metals comes from China, India, Malaysia and, supposedly, there is no led smelted in the USA either.

If, in fact, arsenic has replaced tin in shot, there's no doubt price/availability is the reason.

· Registered
3,368 Posts
If I remember correctly, tin was added to lead so when bullets were cast they have nice sharp edges on the driving band. I believe it helps the lead flow better. I've never heard of tin in shot, but again, I could be wrong and as before I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm wrong! 😉

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.