82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wenig has wood grades of:
Medium fancy
Extra fancy
50% select
75% select
100% select

Does anyone know the definition of these grades.

what does 75% select mean ?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Emotional Advertising; messages, usually based on imagery rather than information, which attempt to achieve the advertiser's objectives by evoking strong emotional feelings rather than by a rational appeal.

That. :sorry1:

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Excellent statement searun.
I just want to let you know in advance, that when you start making a bunch of useless statements like this, and you are under 50 posts....the moderators might assume you are trying to race to 50, and start deleting your posts.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Give the man a break. He does not have to write a doctorate to get some posts.

BTW, JH is absolutely right about Etchen. His incredible guns cost about as much as a similar grade stock from Wenig, and Joel sells the whole gun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Over the years, the price has gone up and the quality has gone down in most suppliers. I DO NOT find that to be true with Show Me Gunstocks - an old Fajen's employ - and their descriptions or grade and price are realistic. If you want great wood, contact Fredi Custom Stock Blanks, but be prepared to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I think the Wenig operation has changed since Fred left. Blanks from them have seemed to have increased exponentially in price. I posted a copy of the invoice I received when I had Wenig complete a custom stock several years ago. Do a search and see what I posted.

·
Premium Member
8,325 Posts
Greed always ruins a business
There is NO greed, their customers are standing in line. If you don't wish to pay the price for one of the best, don't buy from them.
I you had searched or checked out other HIGH END stock makers, you would know that there right in line with them.
MG

·
Banned
142 Posts
I own 3 Wenig stocks.

I've found the same wood grades and could spend much less money.

They always did me a good job but the prices now are little to high

I can buy exhibition Turkish blanks for much less and have one on my Crown Grade K-80 and my S Seitz

·
Premium Member
8,325 Posts
I own 3 Wenig stocks.

I've found the same wood grades and could spend much less money.

They always did me a good job but the prices now are little to high

I can buy exhibition Turkish blanks for much less and have one on my Crown Grade K-80 and my S Seitz
BFD, Who's going to build your stocks and stand behind them?
More trolls, this sight doesn't need!
MG

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
If someone of you guys actually knew what wood blanks sold for, esp if you buy them by the pallet directly from the guy who felled the tree (or maybe the guy that bought them from the guy that felled the tree) you'd be amazed (and possibly a little upset knowing what you spend as an upcharge on a custom stock).

A friend of a friend bought a stock for his Huglu a few years ago. The gun was turkish, and the guy was turkish, and the wood was turkish (walnut). He was able to contact someone at the factory and buy a replacement stock for I believe 2-300 bucks (I'm sure it helps to know the language!). From the pics I saw, it would put many "exhibition grade" stocks to shame. To say I was astounded would be an understatement. And they build and shipped that stock at a profit...

Outside of the US, gunstock grade wood is relatively inexpensive, even the high grade stuff. I'm not sure if it's purely markup or dealing with a half dozen middlemen that adds to the price.

Like has been alluded to, Etchen puts together complete guns with high grade wood for less than some stock makers would charge for just a stock and forend in comparable or lower grade wood. Something wrong with that picture.

·
Premium Member
8,325 Posts
You've obviously never had a problem with your Wenig stock if you think they'll stand behind them.

BTW, want to buy a 1 year old Wenig stock split in half at the inlet? Maybe you can take it back to them and get it replaced?
Actually,
I did have one crack problably 12 years ago. It was replaced by Wenig without a hitch. No problems since, on either.
As soon as my right hand reaches maximum final mobility, they'll be building me another.
MG

·
Premium Member
8,325 Posts
Get back on a snowmobile that's the extent of your mental capacity polo boy
WOW,
Your ignorance proceeds you!
That's a great statement, being that I was as close to dead as you can be because of that accident. 1 year in the hospital recovering and I need to listen to your simple mind!
FOAD!
MG

·
Registered
282 Posts
what does 75% select mean ?
The Winchester 21 on the left is Wenig 75% Select, it is fantastic in real life. I like mineral lines on a SxS and looks good on them IMO.

JEG combo purchased ~15 years ago I waited until Spring when Etchen had the latest batch come in and had my pick of the litter.

Pacific Sporting Arms is importing the Dickinson Plantation Sporter with upgraded wood. A year ago picked up a 12 ga. and had Tron cut an adjustable comb and install an ISIS on it.

Crappy cell phone picture, original listing

Like it well enough that I ordered a 20 ga. 2 weeks ago. Should have had it today but got an email from UPS saying it was delayed due to an "Emergency Situation". Hopefully will get to my FFL Dealers tomorrow.

Yes having fairly straight grain through the wrist is important. Doesn't mean has to look bad though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts