Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Was going to give a little review on my Wenig experience for those that are pondering the idea.

I made the decision to get a stock completed in July while I was at the Wisconsin State shoot. It was a little hectic getting into my fitting time. If I remember right I was suppose to be there by 10:30 or 11 am and I don't believe they got me in until late afternoon, early evening. I understood how everything was with other fittings going too long. I finally got my turn. My dimensions were taken from a PFS stock that had been fitting okay, but I wasn't asked if I was happy with that fitment. My issues, not there's.

When I got up into the trailer, I met with Bill, who already had a pattern stock on my receiver. It was for a sporting 725 so we had to build the comb up. No biggie as Bill knew what he was doing. The fitting process was pretty fun. I was able to see my stock taking shape. Bill asked a lot of great questions but I do wish I would have knew even more about what I wanted. The day was moving along and I really felt like I should start making my way out of there. I didn't want to keep Bill there any longer. I shot a round at the grounds and it felt pretty good so I got out of there and took the bondo stock with me to shoot for the rest of the summer.

I used the stock during my clubs summer league and began putting up some great scores. I was really happy with my results. I made a plan to drive to Wenig to drop my stock off and get an alteration done to the comb. It went smooth and I left the stock there to be finished off.

Fast forward to today and I finally received my finished stock. I'm happy with the way things look. I fear that I may have changed a bit and things could be off. From when I got the stock made in July to now I am down over 20 pounds. I was able to shoot two rounds today. I missed the first target out and then ran the next 49. I obviously have the adjustable comb but after those 50 targets I did have a red mark within my shoulder pocket. Maybe I could chalk it up as I wore a bad shirt that was rubbing the wrong way or that I haven't shot in 6 months. Whatever the cause, I hope I can figure it out or it stops so I can enjoy my custom stock.

I wanted to keep it cost effective so no forearm was made and I went with a basic wood. We aren't winning any contests.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not shooting for six months
A lot can change don't give up on wenig
Losing 20 lbs changes everything I would start with a pitch washer I lost 40lbs after my stock was purchased and it did take some tweaking
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Scott

I had a kick eez on the bondo stock but it was leaving a bad red mark by my collar bone. I switched to my gooey pad and it didn't happen during that time.
Kick eez has different styles of pads. It could be a pitch problem too. Bill England can change the pitch very easily. Remember when it comes to tweaking, YOU are the primary source of information the stock makers go by. Don't give up.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I very much want this to be THE stock for me. According to my measurements from Wenig I have 3 1/2 in of down pitch. It's possible it's too much now. I am contemplating making the drive back down to the shop to get some adjustments made, atleast whatever can be adjusted.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I very much want this to be THE stock for me. According to my measurements from Wenig I have 3 1/2 in of down pitch. It's possible it's too much now. I am contemplating making the drive back down to the shop to get some adjustments made, atleast whatever can be adjusted.
Do you know your point of impact? If you do, go to the pattern board and make adjustments left or right and up and down on the comb. Make sure your pattern is centered. Move the comb right or left to center the pattern, then move the comb up or down to achieve the point of impact you need. Once you think you are close, then go to the gun club and set the thrower on straight a ways and stand on post 3 on 16 yards. Move your comb up or down to achieve smoke balls. Remember, move in small increments. keep in mind that gun mount is critical. You have to achieve consistent gun mounts or you will end up chasing the wind. Add 2 1/16 washers to shoot from the 27 . That will get you close. There is no substitute for practice, period. My advice is worth what you paid for it, good luck. One last thing. If you need recoil reduction, Wenig offers a tremendous unit, its called W R S Wineg recoil system. its awesome, I know, I have two.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Do you know your point of impact? If you do, go to the pattern board and make adjustments left or right and up and down on the comb. Make sure your pattern is centered. Move the comb right or left to center the pattern, then move the comb up or down to achieve the point of impact you need. Once you think you are close, then go to the gun club and set the thrower on straight a ways and stand on post 3 on 16 yards. Move your comb up or down to achieve smoke balls. Remember, move in small increments. keep in mind that gun mount is critical. You have to achieve consistent gun mounts or you will end up chasing the wind. Add 2 1/16 washers to shoot from the 27 . That will get you close. There is no substitute for practice, period. My advice is worth what you paid for it, good luck. One last thing. If you need recoil reduction, Wenig offers a tremendous unit, its called W R S Wineg recoil system. its awesome, I know, I have two.
Scott, how much is the recoil system? Not that I need one right now as I just had a stock made from Wenig in January. But for the future, I might consider it. Thank you.

·
Registered
592 Posts
That seems like allot of pitch.I assume you have or had a pretty big chest.If you lost 20 lbs.,I would add a 1/4 washer to the bottom to see if the feels better.I would think the gun will move more fluid also without the muzzle being forced down because of the excessive pitch. Good Luck.I agree with others to not give up on it.Maybe your not staying in the gun when you pull the trigger.It could be various things.A little tweak can go a long way!
Joe

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had the same concerns about what I didn't know when I went through the fitting process. I would recommend that anyone that is considering a move into a fitted stock to read the books by Jeff Meloy and Roland Oswald.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Scott

I had a kick eez on the bondo stock but it was leaving a bad red mark by my collar bone. I switched to my gooey pad and it didn't happen during that time.
I shoot a custom Wenig stock. Jimmy made mine back in the winter of 2016 / 2017. Very happy with the end product.

I broke my collar bone playing hockey when I was 13 or 14 years old. Recoil pads always left a mark. I mentioned that to Jimmy. He took the sander to the recoil pad and removed some material where my collar bone touched. No more issue.

Maybe the softer gooey pad is helping your collar bone issue but the shape has changed the pitch?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I very much want this to be THE stock for me. According to my measurements from Wenig I have 3 1/2 in of down pitch. It's possible it's too much now. I am contemplating making the drive back down to the shop to get some adjustments made by Jimmy. When the measurements were taken from my PFS I had both pitch spacers provided attached to the gun.

Attachments

·
Perazzi MX10RS
2,004 Posts
I very much want this to be THE stock for me. According to my measurements from Wenig I have 3 1/2 in of down pitch. It's possible it's too much now. I am contemplating making the drive back down to the shop to get some adjustments made by Jimmy. When the measurements were taken from my PFS I had both pitch spacers provided attached to the gun.
Are you sure that's not 7 degrees / 3-1/2"? That would mean it's a 7 degree down pitch with 3-1/2" from vertical to end of barrel. Remove the pad and put the butt flat on the ground with the butt against a wall. I bet the muzzle is 3.5" from the wall. You can play with the pitch (to see if that's really the issue) with some 1/16" washers between pad and stock. Best thing to do would be to call them or go there and let them fix it for you.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you sure that's not 7 degrees / 3-1/2"? That would mean it's a 7 degree down pitch with 3-1/2" from vertical to end of barrel. Remove the pad and put the butt flat on the ground with the butt against a wall. I bet the muzzle is 3.5" from the wall. You can play with the pitch (to see if that's really the issue) with some 1/16" washers between pad and stock. Best thing to do would be to call them or go there and let them fix it for you.
I spoke with Jimmy yesterday on the issue. He thought that shaving the pad at the top point of my shoulder may help but also suggested that the pad wasn't fit exactly to where it needed to be in the first initial fitting. I think if I can get down there and just spend some time with Jimmy or even Bill we might be able to dial things in. Only a 7 hour drive from my place.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I am shooting my Wenig stock from 18 years ago. I have had large weight gain and weight loss. The rib always lined up directly in front of my eye either way. Close your eyes, mount the gun, open your eyes. You should be looking straight down the rib. As for the red mark, I bet that stock touches in places you aren't used to, and your weight change may be part of it. I would just use a shooting pad for a while and not change anything. I always get marks and sore spots after a break, they go away in a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
You sound like a man with buyers remorse.
I would shoot the gun some more.

Chaffing is caused by a gun moving around.
Bruising is usually a result of excess recoil.

It is a nice stock likely all you need is a tweak or two.
This will happen throughout your shooting career.

You lost weight, try adding a spacer or a pitched spacer.
Try shooting with a vest the padding may help.
Perhaps a different recoil pad shape.

Its All Good
West

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
You haven't shot for 6 months,,,,you wore a bad shirt, you broke 49X50 huh....when I haven't shot for a couple of months I get a bit of chaffing after a few weeks skin toughens up everything fine. Before I did that drive I'd shoot the gun in nice weather for awhile. Just a thought

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
You haven't shot for 6 months,,,,you wore a bad shirt, you broke 49X50 huh....when I haven't shot for a couple of months I get a bit of chaffing after a few weeks skin toughens up everything fine. Before I did that drive I'd shoot the gun in nice weather for awhile. Just a thought
I would end up with a mark from sitting in the car for that drive back to Wenig, just not on my shoulder. LOL. However, if I wanted a change, Wenig would be a good place to have it done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Scott, how much is the recoil system? Not that I need one right now as I just had a stock made from Wenig in January. But for the future, I might consider it. Thank you.
Roughly 1800 installed, but call for a accurate quote.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts