Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I pulled the trigger and bought a like new Citori CX.
The guy bought it last April and only put 1 box of shells through it. He said he just couldn't find time to shoot clays.
So now I need advice on what the best method is to pattern this thing. I was told at the club to just shoot at a 20" circle from 30yds and see where it hits. But have sen here talk of 13yds.
So give me the low down to know if she is a shooter or not

·
Registered
722 Posts
Congratulations! When patterning your gun rest it on a fixed stand to see how the gun shoots. Free hand adds bias. 60/40 poi is what you bought. If you can fix the trap to straight away shoot some targets and find your real pattern. Mounting it correctly will help but make sure the gun fits you. You will enjoy this CX.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Ref. Neil Winston's patterning methods and it will give you some great guidelines to go by.

1.Use a full choke when patterning, you are going for POI and not pellet count.

2.Pattern off a rest

3.If you pattern at 13 yards 1 inch high at 13 will roughly equal 3 inches high at 40 yards. Thus what many call 60/40

4.I normally use 3 shots and if IM patterning at 40 I use 5 shots.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Barrel regulation at 13 yards. And pattern and true POI at 32-40 (where ever you break the target). The closer spot is to check the actual barrels and chokes to make sure it shoots straight when aligned with the rib.

And 1” high @13 does not necessarily mean 3” at 40. An unsingle sitting 2.5” below the bead when at 1” high at 13 yards has risen 3.5” in 13 yards. With gravity and the continued trajectory, that 1” high at 13 gun is now about 6” high at 40. This is why 13 compounded out to 40 is a bad way to see where it’s truly hitting. So if you want to see how good the barrels are, shoot at 13. If you want to see where it’ll hit targets at, set it up for 35 and see what you get.

Personally I do both. 13 to make sure I’m shooting good tubes and then 35 to see where they hit. I’d hate to try and pattern a double gun at 35 and get frustrated because it doesn’t seem to be working, only to find the regulation is off.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Shoot off a rest at 13 yards with a full choke to find your p.o.i., Do this at least five times. If it is straight horizontally and approximately 1" high, GO SHOOT. To me the rest of this is all minutia. No one is able to tell if they shot 2 inches low or 3 inches left at 40 yards on a moving target so why worry about it. It's just not possible. Don't get caught up in all variables you will hear on here.

Now, Go and shoot and have fun. As you progress you will know if you need to change anything. The journey is half the fun.

jmho

Ken

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Congratulations, I am sure you will love it! I have nearly 60000 rounds through my Crossover, only ever replaced the firing pins. Like said before, put a 4 inch circle on paper at 13 yards.
Then lock a house on straight aways, and shoot from station 3.
Have fun!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice everyone. Today looks to be a busy day, but my lovely wife also knows I'm chomping at the bit to go shoot my new gun. So, maybe just maybe I will have a little time to go shoot some paper and throw lead at a few clays after church

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,670 Posts
Ref. Neil Winston's patterning methods and it will give you some great guidelines to go by.

1.Use a full choke when patterning, you are going for POI and not pellet count.

2.Pattern off a rest

3.If you pattern at 13 yards 1 inch high at 13 will roughly equal 3 inches high at 40 yards. Thus what many call 60/40

4.I normally use 3 shots and if IM patterning at 40 I use 5 shots.
Using the post from George MT above, I’ve included this milestone article for easy reference.

If you have time, George’s post on Neil’ Tribute thread has some very valuable reading, so take time to read it. You’ll be able to sift through a lot of club house myths and just pure BS advice you’ll hear and read everywhere from self-acclaimed coaches and experts.

Copy this article and save it to your favorites, or to your home screen on your personal computer, or device:

http://www.claytargettesting.com/POI/Point_of_Impact_and_Pattern_Testing_at_13_Yards.pdf

Reactions: Rabbit-hunter

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congratulations, I am sure you will love it! I have nearly 60000 rounds through my Crossover, only ever replaced the firing pins. Like said before, put a 4 inch circle on paper at 13 yards.
Then lock a house on straight aways, and shoot from station 3.
Have fun!!
Nearly 60,000 rounds through just 1 gun? I have no idea how that would compare to some of the higher end brands but it's impressive to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts