Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a nut shell, I bought a new gun and broke my clavicle.

Actually, there's a little more to it. I've been shooting for about 18 months now (regularly). Until recently, I'd been shooting a BT-99.

Got my Caesar Guerini, put 400 or so rounds through it when someone suggested (like a dope I listened) that I mount the gun higher up on my shoulder. I'd been struggling with inconsistent shooting at that point and was open to suggestion. With the BT-99, I was a pretty consistent low 90s singles shooter. Shooting with the unsingle CG, I was lucky to hit 15/17.

I left that day feeling pretty beat up (painful shoulder) and very, very disappointed with my shooting. Not one to end on a bad note, I went back out the following day. I put a recoil pad into my shooting vest, told myself to forget about all the advice I'd been given the following day, mount my gun as I always had and just shoot like I used to. I shot a 95 despite the shoulder pain.

Fast forward a week to this past Sunday. Took the gun out again. Shot 100 rounds before quitting. Just too much shoulder discomfort. To appease my husband (he takes better care of me than I do), I went to the doctor yesterday. X-rays confirmed I broke it. Not a hairline, a full-on break. At least it is not displaced and no surgery will be required.

I'm only mad now because I won't be able to shoot my gun now for at least six weeks!!

Anyway, as you can imagine, I am looking into recoil devices. I actually was before this happened. This little "incident" has solidified my decision.

I've done quite a bit of reading on most all of them. Gracoil, Bumpbuster, Isis, PFS, SoftTouch, ProSoft . . . I am sure I have left some out. I've decided on SoftTouch (unless I can be convinced otherwise) and called them yesterday. I spoke to Steve (a delightful gentleman) who added my name to their wait queue. It looks as though I'll make top of the list in about 12 weeks.

Until then, I'll likely be sitting on the bench, cheering on my husband.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I think some expert advice about gun fit along with the recoil device will be necessary and don't rush the rehab. Best wishes to you.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
You poor thing. Hope you heal up soon. Sometimes its better to listen to yourself instead of everyone else. Praying for your speedy recovery. Tom

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would buy a PFS stock. It sounds like you a new and working on your set up. With the PFS you can change how you shoot and adjust the stock it is adjustable for soft to firm. I believe you will save money in the long term and have a better fit. I know they are ugly but after you get everything set up you can take the measurements of the PFS and get a good fit wood stock. Just one of the ways to go. Tom

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Were you locking the gun into your shoulder very tight ?? It seems to me that breaking your clavicle would take a major blow ?

Has anyone else ever heard of this happening ??

WOW I do wish you well..

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
If I were you I would get a bone density test. My wife got one just because of her slight build & she immediately was put on meds that not only stopped the bone loss but started to rebuild...............by the way the test is painless.

IMHO, recoil from a trap load should not break a bone.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in my 50s and have had a bone density test. Doc put me on the meds as well, Hunter. My test did reveal the beginning signs of osteoporosis, but I'm not going to let it stop me from continuing with activities I love to do.

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
You are the first person I've ever heard of that has actually broken their shoulder shooting a shotgun. I've heard of people getting severely bruised or their faces get smacked up pretty good. But this is a rarity. Hope you get to heal soon.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I vote for a PFS. My girlfriend who is 5'4" tall shoots a Beretta 682 with PFS, sometimes with very heavy shells used in games; she never complained about recoil after installing the PFS.

One of the reasons for a higher ribbed gun is so you don't have to raise the butt/recoil pad high on your shoulder. So many shooters still don't understand the reason for high ribs in terms of gun fit and target view. Most, not all woman do better with a higher ribbed gun.

Hope you heal quickly so you can get out and have more fun shooting your new gun.

Surfer

P.S. I have a Guereini trap gun and for me it's a very soft shooter.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
LISTEN to your Dr. don't do anything (s)he doesn't give his\her blessing to. A couple extra days\weeks now is a lot better than months, or surgery later. Also if there's any P.T. later do it religiously. I know it works and hurts because my wife is living proof, after 6 months in bed unable to move under her own power she went through some rough times with the P.T. but she is now up & around doing 90% of what could do before her cancer. And she is (lets say) more than a few years older than you. DON"T YOU DARE TELL HER I SAID THAT. Good Luck, sending an extra prayer your way. Ross Puls

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Gun fit, gun fit, gun fit. Recoil mitigation devices are great and I use them but they are no replacement for a gun that fits you.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
My best wish to your full recovery.

I've tried a few recoil devices, I think PFS is the best of it's kind.

Not only it'll solve most gun fit problems, it really took the recoil away.

Also, the unit can go from gun to gun with a simple change of the grip. You won't lost your investment when you change guns, because you don't need to cut your original stock.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have tried (owned) them all and I say without question, PFS. It can be tuned to fit as the years go by. Recoil is also adjustable. Fit is the big issue and PFS is the most adjustable. A little more money, perhaps...but, in the long run much cheaper.

Jon Schorle

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I would add this, I have a Soft Touch on my 390 semi auto. Now you would think that was pretty soft...the PFS on my DT10 is softer.

JON

·
Registered
355 Posts
smoke-um has a stocklock II for a CG Impact for sale, don't know if that's your CG if it is it's worth a thought. Joe

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
Sorry to hear of your broken bone!!! I too agree that you need a real good gun fitting from a pro.!!! Now here is the break-down, $250 for a Adj. Comb. another @250 for a adj. butt plate and few more dollars for a recoil device of some sort. Now remember the wood of your gun will have to be cut alot for you. This will kill resale value of your gun and you will never get back a penny of this money when you go to sell it (hopefully in many, many years). So I too say buy a PFS system stock. You can find them used and just buy the grip new for your gun. This way you put your wood stock in the closit for many many years to reinstall when its time to sell your gun and you loose nothing. Maybe gain abit from the near perfect condition of the stock. You sell off the PFS seperately for near the same money you paid for it. Every Woman I've ever seen who had a stock fitted to them, had a adj. butt plate that lowered the pad around a l l/2 inchs and the pad had about a 20 to 30 degree angle on it to fit into a womans shoulder properly. Best of Luck with your shoulder/ and your shooting in the future. Break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Valerie, I bought a CG three years ago at the Grand. Buy the time Tucson came around I was for sure it was going down thr road. OK I went over to Doug Grey
and we did two things. First I got rid of the God afull recoil pad and put on a Kick-EZ next Doug changed the pitch with washers untill it felt good and than I had Tom Larkin cut the stock. I am still shooting it with no shoulder pain. Good luck, Heal Fast

Spence

1 - 20 of 47 Posts