Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sporting clays has added a new concurrent which i like. It is called "Legends" It is for shooters 80+. I am one. I am not fishing for trophies. I have 600+ from 49 years of trap and skeet and 35 years of sporting clays tournaments. Being recognized is more important to us older shooters than another tin god. There are a lot of older shooters that not shoot registered anymore due to the extreme eye tests many of the targets are today. Could have called it the "Geezers" or the "comotose" class also. Think might bring back some of the older shooters who are tired of being embarrassed by targets they could hit if they could see them. Me for one. JMO

· Premium Member
13,766 Posts
Sporting clays has added a new concurrent which i like. It is called "Legends" It is for shooters 80+. I am one. I am not fishing for trophies. I have 600+ from 49 years of trap and skeet and 35 years of sporting clays tournaments. Being recognized is more important to us older shooters than another tin god. There are a lot of older shooters that not shoot registered anymore due to the extreme eye tests many of the targets are today. Could have called it the "Geezers" or the "comotose" class also. Think might bring back some of the older shooters who are tired of being embarrassed by targets they could hit if they could see them. Me for one. JMO
Uh . . . here in Omaha we do have a Geezer League. Shoots every Tuesday afternoon at the Harry Koch Trap Range.

Reactions: JACK

· Premium Member
13,766 Posts
Great idea. What age you have to be?
You don't. We don't discriminate. Most younger shooters, however, are children and grandchildren, etc. of us old farts. It's real simple: Shoot a round from the 16, then shoot your score on caps, min. 20 yards. Also run a simple Lewis Purse as part of it.

· Premium Member
13,766 Posts
How do you pronounce that?
As in Coke, woke, Koch Brothers (he might have been related).

I've known of three people with that name, same spelling, three different pronunciations. None of them what you are thinking of but one of them was.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
As in Coke, woke, Koch Brothers (he might have been related).
I was in the service with one David Koch from Gt Bend KS. Long time ago. He was in the oil business with his brother. The famous David Koch didn’t have it in his resume so ....
but it was an intriguing coincidence.

· Premium Member
13,766 Posts
I was in the service with one David Koch from Gt Bend KS. Long time ago. He was in the oil business with his brother. The famous David Koch didn’t have it in his resume so ....
but it was an intriguing coincidence.
There is/was a Koch Petroleum here also but I don't know if it was connected to Harry Koch who the trap range was named after.

· Premium Member
1,797 Posts
If shooting as a “Legend” do you get a different presentation of targets? If not, I don’t see how that would attract the older generation if they are still shooting the targets they could hit if they could see them. Good shooting, Rey

· Banned
2,714 Posts
If shooting as a “Legend” do you get a different presentation of targets? If not, I don’t see how that would attract the older generation if they are still shooting the targets they could hit if they could see them. Good shooting, Rey
No, you are just eligible for another age concurrent shooting the same targets as every other class and concurrent.

· Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They would not get a different presentation but also would not be shooting against "veterans" much younger than them. I can attest to the fact that there is a much bigger loss of score from 75-85 than there was from 60-75. My ability hasn't changed only my physical game has changed. 80+ shooters would have more fun shooting against others whose physical game has diminished the same as theirs. It's all about competitive fun instead of expensive practice which it is now.

· Keystone Shooter
2,681 Posts
Every Thursday morning we have our Geriatric shoot. Average age is 76. Shooting is suppose to start at 10 am, but most start arriving at 9:30. I pick up the donuts every Thursday morning, fresh from the bakery. God help me if I forget one of those guys favorites. I get to the club early around 8 and get the coffee going, if one of my trap crew volunteers aren’t already there and have it going. The range gets set up. The microphones out, and hooked up. The trap loaded and warming up. Extra birds brought down from the bird shed to the trap house ready to go. All the benches and picnic tables wiped off, the patio cleaned of any debris with the powered leaf blower. The trap club house heater is turned on warming the place up in the spring, fall, and winter. Then they start arriving. They sit around talking about shotguns, shells, reloading stuff, the local leagues they’re shootings in, Covid shots, and of course politics. The whole time sipping their coffee, and eating their donuts.
Then finally, after taking care of all that important business we shoot a few rounds of trap. Oldest shooter is 89, going to be 90
this year. ( we do have cake and sing happy birthday too) We also have a few younger shooters who have become regulars at our Geriatric Shoot. They have Thursdays off, and range from middle 30’s to 60’s. It’s not a league, not an organized shoot, but we do it every week, and It’s certainly a lot of fun.

· Registered
3,828 Posts
I think it's called "Legacy", saw it on score chaser, and I am one!

· Premium Member
1,671 Posts
I like the idea. In fact, it was discussed for ATA... something similar. The CSTA Treasurer told me that a motion was made for SuperSeniors in ATA but it didn’t get traction. I suggested Senior Gold and he said that wasn’t bad either

· Registered
310 Posts
Koch trap range in Omaha, was named after Harry Koch, Jr., I don't believe any relation to Koch brothers. His father started a very profitable insurance agency in town, and he really grew it.
Bottom of the page has the story

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.