Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
9,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my buddy and I went to one of the larger events and signed up on a squad with 3 strangers. I took position 2 and he took 5 and off we were to the line. Anyway, all seemed well except for a rather uptight squad leader with an attitude problem. The trouble started whenever I would be ready to start on position 1. I do what I've always done and that is make eye contact with the squad leader and point my finger at the house indicating that I am indeed all set and ready to shoot. I don't think that I can be any more animated than what I do and there has never been any issue in the past of my meaning. I am obviously "Ready". Anyway, every time that I would do this, this clown would look at me, shake his head in disgust and begin shooting. My friend also had issues with this guy and we couldn't figure out what his problem was. His issue was even more bizarre and it had to do with him moving the mics. When my buddy got on a station, he would (as I also do) move the mic from the concrete to the grass just in front of him. This guy would shake his head as if he were the dumbest person he'd ever seen, give the stink eye and then begin his routine.

Typically, I would have confronted this individual, but I will avoid confrontation when I'm in the middle of an event. It's just not good for the mind.

Anyway, that's my rant.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Odd but not unusual, he didn't say anything or comment so I don't see the problem. Now, if he'd of said, "don't move the mic" or something similar that would be different.

·
Registered
20,259 Posts
That's better than having a squad leader that NEVER waited until #1 was ready to start shooting. Second time the chump started early I slowed down like a mofo.. Third time even slower. He thought I was a dork but the rest of the squad appreciated the pacing.

Haven't been able to shoot for a while. Been in the horse-pistol. Any day putting up with dipshits on the line beats hell out of a day in a VA hospital.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's better than having a squad leader that NEVER waited until #1 was ready to start shooting. Second time the chump started early I slowed down like a mofo.. Third time even slower. He thought I was a dork but the rest of the squad appreciated the pacing.

Haven't been able to shoot for a while. Been in the horse-pistol. Any day putting up with dipshits on the line beats hell out of a day in a VA hospital.
Yes, I've experienced that as well. What I do in this case is calmly stop and say "squad ready" myself on the first station and after the first 25 just calmly take the guy aside and tell him/her what they did wrong. They are always very apologetic and simply didn't know what they were doing.

·
Registered
20,259 Posts
Yes, I've experienced that as well. What I do in this case is calmly stop and say "squad ready" myself and after the first 25 just calmly take the guy aside and tell him/her what they did wrong. They are always very apologetic and simply didn't know what they were doing.
See, there you go. Doing the right thing. It takes me a while sometimes. The guy was a 24 yard shooter so I ASSUMED he knew his duties.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So the pisser is that this behavior probably detracted from your ability to focus on the task at hand. Perhaps it was intentional on his part in order to throw you and the rest of the squad off your game?

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,725 Posts
Just another of many reasons to pick your squad mates. When not possible, and something,... anything, is weird, try your best to ignore it, and do your best to make sure you're never on that squad again.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Tron, I certainly wouldn't worry about your lead off man.

There are some really a**holes out there, and once in a while your going to meet up with them. Just act like they are normal, it drives'em up a wall...........lol

Remember, you can please some of the people some of the time, and you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Hauxfan!

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
I know its easy to say on as a Monday morning qtr back but I think I would of asked him what his deal was..

I once as squad leader had issues with a 18-20 year old kid...He probably thinks I am the azz. When he made his move to post 1 he took a HUGE amount of time doing some stupid foot shuffle holding his gun up and moving left to right and when this 1 minute routine was up he would finally give you a nod. Well after two traps I decided to just start shooting after a normal alotment of time. I beleive he got the point.

·
Premium Member
11,728 Posts
Odd behavior indeed.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Hope I never run into him because I do the same as you. Move mike to my left on the grass, extend left arm pointing towards the house letting lead-off know I'm ready. Never had a problem and I'm too old to change now. Live with it.

Steve

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
There will always be those who are just a pain in the @$$. I always just turn it around on them because I'm determined for it to mess up THEIR game instead of mine. I shot an 1100 for a few years before I went to pump guns. I shot on a squad once with a guy that got a case of the butt because he didn't like the "exhaust gases" from my 1100. Note: I was using a shell catcher and that wasn't his problem, nor did he claim it was. He said the "gases" from the exhaust ports bothered him. I told him he could drop of and resquad if he wanted to. Anyway, after a couple of other DA comments he made ,I made the point of "sniffing' my barrel between post changes and making sure he saw it. I don't think he hit HALF of the last 15 targets! In the end he was a victim of his own stupidity!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tron you forgot to mention the other two shooters on our squad kept on jumping their turn. Total fiasco.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Tron, that must have thrown you off your game and cost you a couple targets, you could have scored a 102, great shooting.

Pat

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
This type of disrupting a squads "harmony" could be remedied rather easily! How? By merely TRAINING the scorekeepers, who have control of the main key to clays thrown. Merely keeping the switch off till the entire squad is ready to begin after a station change? Even after such a change, shooters almost always move the mic to their favored position! Even Leo Harrison did the same thing but usually he was shooting with a well oiled squad!

When we have an untrained scorekeeper, clays are flying in all station changes till TOLD by shooters to turn it off! Someone must pay for this waste of clays and GUESS who pays? This isn't likened to hiring a McD. youngster to flip burgers especially when we place them in such an important position, with power to control the fairness of our sport.

It's too bad that our sport lacks the well known knowledge that ( Jim Brown the Puller) had when he was involved with our sport! He knew and understood our rules better than some of our officials did!! No one could pull any of their tricks when he was seated in the scorers chair!! Our sport sure misses more of such people!

HAP

1 - 20 of 50 Posts