Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of were talking about people shooting weird looking guns. Of course the Lgutic Space Gun came up. The first time I ever saw one was at the Sherevport Gun Club in LA. A guy from Texas was shooting one and he had put a "Weed Eater" sticker on it or a gag. I have seen a few other weird guns on the trap range. One was a 12 Ga. built of a AK-47 design and one on the design of an AR-15. I have also seen one on a Martini rifle frame and I saw Merle Kemmerly Shooting a gun that he built on the frame of a 98 Mauser at the Shreveport club! BTW he broke 100x100 with it! :05: Any other weird sightings out there??

·
Registered
169 Posts
In the late 70's I shot the Idaho State shoot and there was a full squad of guy's shooting top singles made with Greener actions.
Neat looking shotgun.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
In the late 70's I shot the Idaho State shoot and there was a full squad of guy's shooting top singles made with Greener actions.
Neat looking shotgun.
Those guns were made by Art Godfrey from Caldwell, Idaho. He made around 35 of them.

Reactions: trap4ever

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Joe Kuhn's "Kuhner" is pretty uhh unique. It works for him and that's all that really matters I suppose.

It doesn't get much more weird than the Ljutic Space Gun though.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Mike Shooting2.jpg
A picture of the gun I mainly shoot Sporting Clays with, but have shot Trap with it as well. Gets a lot of attention for what it isn't. It isn't an Over/Under, but sure "looks" like one. A little project I helped my gunsmith make a few years ago, before he passed away. I call it my Semi-Automatic Over and Under, and gets a lot of people scratching their head when they see this O/U being fed in from the side and throw hulls out of it as well. Added a "fake" bottom barrel, that also acts as the forearm arm nut, via a small, thin flange silver-soldered on at the base of the "barrel". It is NOT a barrel extension, just some extra weight that really make this gun swing nice. Added a handmade barrel hanger and added an old Briley choke to finish off the O/U look. Fun gun to break clays with. MH* (The day this photo was taken of me by a friend, the 'ol semi-auto O/U was doing a little extra duty taking down some South Texas doves, on a hunt just outside of Beeville, TX)

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
View attachment 309786 A picture of the gun I mainly shoot Sporting Clays with, but have shot Trap with it as well. Gets a lot of attention for what it isn't. It isn't an Over/Under, but sure "looks" like one. A little project I helped my gunsmith make a few years ago, before he passed away. I call it my Semi-Automatic Over and Under, and gets a lot of people scratching their head when they see this O/U being fed in from the side and throw hulls out of it as well. Added a "fake" bottom barrel, that also acts as the forearm arm nut, via a small, thin flange silver-soldered on at the base of the "barrel". It is NOT a barrel extension, just some extra weight that really make this gun swing nice. Added a handmade barrel hanger and added an old Briley choke to finish off the O/U look. Fun gun to break clays with. MH*
Now that is neat Mike. I'll be honest, until I zoomed in and read your disclaimer, I would have swore it was a Remington 3200 or Browning ST100 with their patented gap between the barrels. I like it.

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
I wouldn't mind trying a Browning Recoilless, but the prices are high around here.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Can't find a picture of it but it was the Holmes Trap gun. Saw one in 2002 in Vandalia. Trap & Field tested one back in the 80's.

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
I think that tom knapp shot a factory beretta and benelli with a real barrel extension--but it held extra shells. Your's looks cool

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Most of Merle Kimmerlys radical gun redesigns would be better throw out than carried out. He did have a lot of imagination and was not embarrased to try anything..RIP Merle..Good guy!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Can't find a picture of it but it was the Holmes Trap gun. Saw one in 2002 in Vandalia. Trap & Field tested one back in the 80's.
The Supertrap made by William "Bill" Holmes, gunmaker, of Fayetteville, Arkansas, resembled the Ljutic Spacegun in design. I believe Mr. Holmes passed away in December 2008.

Here's a 1980 advertisement for some of his shotguns.

Holmes SuperTrap, 1980SEPT&Fp11.jpg

Enjoy Our History

·
Registered
10,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Most of Merle Kimmerlys radical gun redesigns would be better throw out than carried out. He did have a lot of imagination and was not embarrased to try anything..RIP Merle..Good guy!
Yes ,Merle was quite the Character! He did try some crazy looking stuff! He was a heck of a doubles shooter also. Rudy Etchen broke the first 100x100 on the twins at the Grand in 1950 as an Industry Rep. It was Merle broke the first one by an "Amature Shooter" 10 years later in 1960. Every time Merle would come up with one of his "Inventions," Everybody would say "What kind of "Rube Goldberg" contraption has Merle come up with now??" Trapshooting lost one of it's most colorful characters when he passed!

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
No-one mentioned the Browning Cynergy, and their odd looking recoil pads??? I never cared for the way they looked. Did they even work well??? break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
32,282 Posts
Mine works very well, but the design was not carried to the combo trap.

Problem with innovation in trap gun is it offends trapshooters because it "looks weird" so innovation is stymied and zero.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts